Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
Well, the thing is that I receive about 500-600 junk messages daily. The majority is sent to my mac.com address. So the only rule to help me sort out my mail is as follows:

If ALL of the following conditions are met:
1. Sender is NOT in my Address Book
2. Sender is NOT in my Previous Recipients
Perform the following actions:
Move message to Junk mailbox.

It's a pretty basic rule, innit? The problem with MobileMe Mail is that one can't even move unwanted mail to Junk mailbox, let alone filtering out one's address book contacts and previous recipients. So that's why for me, Rules are very very limited, pretty much useless.

P.S. My feature request was pretty simple: implement ALL of the desktop Mail's Rules.

:)

O yes, that is a basic rule one which I don't personally use at the moment, but I could find that very useful :) Like you said, it would seriously help with filtering mail out to the trash!

Good feature request! I don't understand why they didn't implement the same list. Anyway, Im off to add my rules and remove them from my mail app

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
My feature request was pretty simple: implement ALL of the desktop Mail's Rules.

To this i would add: ... and sync them with the rules that I'm already syncing between two desktop machines using Mobileme. I have a lot of rules and I don't intend on setting these all up again on the web client when this should just sync already (in fact, that's how I imagined this would work and why I signed up for the beta).

Also, can anyone confirm if the web client rules work server side even when not logged in to the web client? Or are the rules just applied at log in? A major problem for me is not having rules on my iPhone, so my inbox gets full of emails that I'd rather filter off to separate folders - I was hoping this would help in this regard.

jx

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
To this i would add: ... and sync them with the rules that I'm already syncing between two desktop machines using Mobileme. I have a lot of rules and I don't intend on setting these all up again on the web client when this should just sync already (in fact, that's how I imagined this would work and why I signed up for the beta).

Also, can anyone confirm if the web client rules work server side even when not logged in to the web client? Or are the rules just applied at log in? A major problem for me is not having rules on my iPhone, so my inbox gets full of emails that I'd rather filter off to separate folders - I was hoping this would help in this regard.

jx

Yes, server die rules do work even when not logged into the client. When I woke up this morning, the emails I had received over the night had gone into the folders as the rules I had set up. The only issue I have at the moment is that my iPhone does not check all the folders so you have to browse to each one to see if it has new email :confused:

Marquito

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Not impressed with the Beta.

There's no direct access to the Calendar - you have to go through the Contacts link and then it just brings up the old interface.

Also, there's no direct way to sign out - again you have to go to a drop down menu.

I wish Mail,Contacts and Calendar could all be displayed in one consolidated window - or at least give us the option to configure the layout.

And...let us choose the display font size - it defaults too large for my taste.

Hmmmm...and it doesn't seem any faster - and....I wish it would display a confirmation message when an email is sent. and....yes -I've left feedback through the link on the bottom left.

Marquito

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
Not impressed with the Beta.

There's no direct access to the Calendar - you have to go through the Contacts link and then it just brings up the old interface.

Also, there's no direct way to sign out - again you have to go to a drop down menu.

I wish Mail,Contacts and Calendar could all be displayed in one consolidated window - or at least give us the option to configure the layout.

And...let us choose the display font size - it defaults too large for my taste.

Hmmmm...and it doesn't seem any faster - and....I wish it would display a confirmation message when an email is sent. and....yes -I've left feedback through the link on the bottom left.

Marquito

I have sent in feature requests for size of font and mail sent notification.
For the mail sent notification I even said like a sending bar like in the OS Mail app so we can see the progress :)

I think not being able to access the other apps is just a con of using the beta at the moment. I think they will have the icons back or something similar before going completely live, if not I think it will draw a lot of negative feedback.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Got my beta invite finally...

Set up some rules...

The rules are not applying.

But... regardless, this is useless since the iPhone/iPad don't check folders.

Big fail by Apple. Every day I'm more tempted to cancel MobileMe, to be honest. :|

lascott

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Baltimore
Got my beta invite finally...

Set up some rules...

The rules are not applying.

But... regardless, this is useless since the iPhone/iPad don't check folders.

Big fail by Apple. Every day I'm more tempted to cancel MobileMe, to be honest. :|

the rules worked for me, however it does state it could take 15 minutes before they work.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Finally worked for one email.

It sent it to the folder.

No notification on iPhone or iPad. And it didn't show a number next to the folder in the MobileMe interface.

What's the point?

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
I have sent in feature requests for size of font and mail sent notification.
For the mail sent notification I even said like a sending bar like in the OS Mail app so we can see the progress :)

I think not being able to access the other apps is just a con of using the beta at the moment. I think they will have the icons back or something similar before going completely live, if not I think it will draw a lot of negative feedback.

When sending mail, you do get the "rotating thingy" showing that something is happening, so at least that's something. Confirmation of sent emails would be better, though.

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
When sending mail, you do get the "rotating thingy" showing that something is happening, so at least that's something. Confirmation of sent emails would be better, though.

The first time I sent a mail, there was nothing and the box just closed, email still sent. However, just sent a test email to myself and a rotating circle and the word sending appeared! :) So that is loads better.

Probably just a bug so it didn't show up the first time! So least we know something is happening now

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
The first time I sent a mail, there was nothing and the box just closed, email still sent. However, just sent a test email to myself and a rotating circle and the word sending appeared! :) So that is loads better.

Probably just a bug so it didn't show up the first time! So least we know something is happening now

The squeaky wheel, my friend, the squeaky wheel....:)
Thanks, :apple:

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I sent out the request the morning this was announced and have still not received the invite.:mad:
Am I the only one STILL waiting who sent out the morning of the announcement?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Me and considering I've had MM since 2004, it kinda sucks. Would be nice to see a beta invite. I'm sure others have been members longer than me but at least I'm not a fly-by-night subscriber.

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
I like the new beta. I hope Mail.app gets the same look with 10.7 - am sure it will.

Feedback I sent are:
- Attachments aren't very clearly located, I'd love to see PDF's auto load in the window and not have to download them, and a button like on the iPhone at the bottom of the message to download.
- Also, deleting individual emails from an X on the message would be nice, but I do love I can drag emails to the trash folder :)

Regarding the comments on not finding the other services, I guess this is a short term problem and will be addressed with an overhaul of the look of the other services to match Mail. BTW, wonder what they're doing with iWork Beta, doing a google perhaps with something forever in beta? Hope this isn't the same....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.