Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
*sigh* I know you can't wait forever to buy something, but seeing as I just picked up a 12" PB on Friday, I'd be pretty pissed. Wahhh, let it be a rumor.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
As others have said, it's probably nothing. The price drop-fiscal year theory seems possible. I guess this is why there's a "Page 2" section.

Squire

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Doubtful. The last round of PowerBooks is what? About 2 months old? It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to release a new PowerBook this close to the last release. In fact it makes even less sense what with January fast approaching.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
It would be neat though

I agree with you all by saying that this rumor is very unlikely. However I wouldn't mind it coming true. Cheaper PB or faster models is fine with me.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I think it's more in Apple's interest to concentrate on making the 15" models more readily available and stay on top of any LCD/lid fixes before trying to put new models or updates into the lineup.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
This seems really unlikely, so I'll make a really unlikely prediction.

They're giving the Powerbooks funny hats.

Marc the Mac

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
United Kingdom
build times are longer

Hi,

The UK Online Apple Store is showing 7-10 days build time for a 15" Powerbook and 4-6 days for a 12" Powerbook. Yesterday it was showing 1 Day build time for the 12" (not sure about the 15").

Does this mean anything? (maybe not - but there we go)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
20" iMac last week.... 20" PowerBook this week? ;)

Seriously, I haven't seen anything yet, so I don't know where this rumor came from. Very odd, since the PBs were just updated. I'm always interested in finding out how rumors like this get started, and then become incorrectly relayed, blown out of proportion, etc.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
They need an update across the line as in taking the manufacturing contract back to Quanta. This current line is complete crap and not worthy of carrying the Apple name. This is the kind of *****ty quality you'd expect from Gateway or Dell. Whoa, wait a minute ... the same company that's making the AL books also makes laptops for none other than Gateway and Dell!

Urdam

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
Piedmont (Oakland), CA
Powerbook G5

I own the original Powermac G4 which I bought back in 1999. I am waiting for the Powerbook G5, because it's the next computer that I will be buying. I have my fingers crossed for January 2004 MacWorld.... If not, then eary to mid 2004.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Re: Powerbook G5

Originally posted by Urdam
I own the original Powermac G4 which I bought back in 1999. I am waiting for the Powerbook G5, because it's the next computer that I will be buying. I have my fingers crossed for January 2004 MacWorld.... If not, then eary to mid 2004.

exact same situation dude ... bought mine same time, waiting for the same thing

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Looks like the PowerBook updates/G5 rumours are starting to pick up speed again after a 2 month lull....! :D :cool:

there not really rumors ... they are just hopes i don't think anyone expects it so soon

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by stockscalper
This current line is complete crap and not worthy of carrying the Apple name.
Say whatever you like, but I love my 15" AlBook and will give it up only when a G5 PowerBook is available or you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Re: Powerbook G5

Originally posted by Urdam
I purchased my dual 1-Gig PowerMac right after they were announced (Jan 2002?). The rumors were for the new G5, even back then, but MWSF came and went with no announcement.

About 1-2 weeks later Apple quietly announced the dual line of processors. Very stealthy introduction.

So yes, sometimes Apple does introduce new product lines outside the typical big events.

I'm looking forwared to buying something big in January. :D

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by illumin8
Say whatever you like, but I love my 15" AlBook and will give it up only when a G5 PowerBook is available or you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Same goes for my 17"/1.33Ghz. The best Mac I've ever used and that's saying ALOT!

I've owned or used for work almost every model since my Fat Mac (that's a 128k Mac upgraded to 512k for those who were wondering.) I think there were a few II series and several Performas that I never used but other than that I've used them all.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
yeah, i think that most of the people who complain about the current lineup (esp laptops) don't use or haven't used the current lineup, at least for more than 4 minutes. i haven't met a person who owns a current machine from the lineup that hasn't been absolutely thrilled with the thing...

matt

deedas

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2003
Baltimore, Maryland
1.42ghz PB? I think not.

I agree that the news will be just an xmas sale. Maybe 100 bucks off the 12 and 15 inchers and 150 for the 17. A speed bump will defintely not happen since the only place the 17" can go is 1.42ghz and that, if I recall right, is the fastest G4 available. Therefore the 17" would be stuck at that speed for up to a year or maybe longer since a G5 or a dual G4 PB this year or anytime soon next year is pure science fiction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.