Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by diehldun
That's exactly what every Apple person I have talked to has told me. Also our new Powerbook is supposedly from this batch and hasn't exhibited any latch or screen problems. Also the lid is supposedly thicker on the new ones but I don't have an older one to compare to.

-----------------------

When you say "our", do you mean yours, or all of the current Powerbook's purchased w/in a week? because all i can say is that my lid is pretty thin and was a slight (almost none) latch issue.

i know i sound really paranoid about getting the "latest" product, but thats just the way i am...:D

I mean our in my wife's and mine. Though it's primarily hers so I'm against saying my powerbook.

I don't know if the lid is thicker on mine but it feels fairly stout. Yes it can be twisted or flexed but not nearly as much as the old TiBooks and a lot of the PC laptops I've played with. Also when the lid is closed the gap between the lid and the computer are equal on both sides. The latch works perfectly and unlike some people have said I don't need to use the edge of my finger or my finger nail. The latch button sticks out far enough I can just push it normally.

I do have a problem update on our powerbook though. I don't have the startup issue that many people are describing where it fails to boot up. Ours just won't respond to the power button at all. It's like the power button is disconnected completely. We took it to our local authorized Apple retailer on Monday they're going to send it in to Apple for repair. My wife had some critical school documents she needed for finals and I didn't want to go to all the work of recopying prefs and files over to the Powerbook so they were nice enough to remove the hard drive and clone the drive over to a spare drive I brought in to them.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
old batch vs. new batch

Hmmm… it seems as though I have the “old batch” then, as my lid is relatively thin, and the lid is un-even on both sides, and the latch-button is extremely hard to push (I’ve really got to use my nail)

So far, however, I haven’t had any major reliability issues; just the lid that’s uneven.

when did you get your PowerBook? did you get it at the AppleStore? I got mine there about a week ago, maybe you just got yours?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: old batch vs. new batch

Originally posted by diehldun
Hmmm… it seems as though I have the “old batch” then, as my lid is relatively thin, and the lid is un-even on both sides, and the latch-button is extremely hard to push (I’ve really got to use my nail)

So far, however, I haven’t had any major reliability issues; just the lid that’s uneven.

when did you get your PowerBook? did you get it at the AppleStore? I got mine there about a week ago, maybe you just got yours?

We got ours about 2 and a half weeks ago. We made a custom order through the Apples Edu store online. It shipped directly from Taiwan.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
new model

well i just got mine less than a week ago (maybe it's been sitting in the back for quite some time)

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Well, obviously new PowerBooks did not arrive, but they HAVE to be updated come MWSF...but does anyone know any details on what the hell Motorola is doing as far as the G4 is concerned? I mean there are the rumors that IBM is taking the helm when it comes to the iBook, but where does that leave the PowerBook? Maybe, just maybe, they have found a way for the G5 to be put in the PowerBook? Prolly not, but wouldn't that be sweet? Any thoughts, anyone?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by spencecb
Well, obviously new PowerBooks did not arrive, but they HAVE to be updated come MWSF...but does anyone know any details on what the hell Motorola is doing as far as the G4 is concerned? I mean there are the rumors that IBM is taking the helm when it comes to the iBook, but where does that leave the PowerBook? Maybe, just maybe, they have found a way for the G5 to be put in the PowerBook? Prolly not, but wouldn't that be sweet? Any thoughts, anyone?

I'm thinking the Powerbooks will be delayed until just after MacWorld. It's just a hunch so don't quote me on it.

There is a chance that a low clock rate 90nm G5 could go into a Powerbook but I think it will not happen until after Macworld as I said before.

If they get a processor update it will either be the old G4 and it will be a 1.42GHz processor same as the last PowerMacs or it will be the new IBM 750FX which is suppose to have the same Altivec coprocessor as the G5.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I could possibly see PowerBook updates in terms of speed boosts/components soon, (maybe), but no G5 PowerBooks will be released for quite a while - not until summer I'm thinking.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
With more than 8 months between the last powerbook update, why does everyone assume powerbooks will be updated in January, a poultry 4 months (less than) after the last update?

It's not like the current powerbooks are in anyway obsolete. If any change is coming, it is more likely bug fixes in the new Al 15".

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
With more than 8 months between the last powerbook update, why does everyone assume powerbooks will be updated in January, a poultry 4 months (less than) after the last update?

It's not like the current powerbooks are in anyway obsolete. If any change is coming, it is more likely bug fixes in the new Al 15".

Poultry months, are they kind of like dog years?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.