Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I helped fund a new 15" AL PowerBook for my wifes Birthday/Christmas present. We've had it for 2 weeks now and the only problem is the keyboard has a strange rise in the keys towards the top left side of the keyboard and touch pad is lifted in one corner. We have not had the white spot or latch problem. Really the problems it does have are minor and I think that it's another fine Apple product.

jcgerm

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by MacBandit
I helped fund a new 15" AL PowerBook for my wifes Birthday/Christmas present. We've had it for 2 weeks now and the only problem is the keyboard has a strange rise in the keys towards the top left side of the keyboard and touch pad is lifted in one corner. We have not had the white spot or latch problem. Really the problems it does have are minor and I think that it's another fine Apple product.

I have that rise in the keyboard, and I've had it after 3 attempted repairs (among other repairs for other problems I might add). This problem annoys the hell out of me. And it gets worse and worse as time goes by. I realize it's minor, but they can't seem to fix it. So if I send it in again, it would be it's 4th repair. I'm in college and I don't have time anymore to send it in for a repair. Every waking hour (that I'm not in class) is devoted to my school work at the moment and I NEED this machine to do it. Regardless of how minor this problem is and how much they say they can fix it, I don't trust them. They've had over a month to try and I can't afford to send this thing in for repair anymore. Every time I send it in, I have to backup everything on it. If I send it in again, it's to the point where it's going to effect my grades. I want it replaced and to be done with it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: Dual 1.5ghz 17"

Originally posted by Icekey
On the Kodawarisan website

http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/index.html

it says that they've got a source telling them that Apple is going to release a Dual 1.5ghz model to the 17" and change the prices on the other models of the powerbook range. Perhaps this was the info and maybe it's going to come out next week?!

Yikes, that would be a monster machine! Although I always like being an optimist, in case I gotta say that I'll believe it when I see it...

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
to wait or not to wait

i am in my office right now, about to go out to the Apple Store today to get a Powerbook 17". but i happened to read this thread, and now i feel as though I should wait for the "update", (particularily if it's Dual 1.5ghz G4!)

should i just get it now, or is it too close for a 17" update (mind you, I am getting an edu discount $300 off!)

if i get it now, I will feel pretty bad if the new one comes out, but if it doesn't, they i would regret not getting it earlier and enjoying it...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: to wait or not to wait

Originally posted by diehldun
i am in my office right now, about to go out to the Apple Store today to get a Powerbook 17". but i happened to read this thread, and now i feel as though I should wait for the "update", (particularily if it's Dual 1.5ghz G4!)

should i just get it now, or is it too close for a 17" update (mind you, I am getting an edu discount $300 off!)

if i get it now, I will feel pretty bad if the new one comes out, but if it doesn't, they i would regret not getting it earlier and enjoying it...

It's hard to say, you'll have to make the call yourself. In my opinion (which might prove to be flat out incorrect!) I don't see this type of update happening soon. Maybe an outside chance of an annoucement at MWSF, but that's it. As I said though, I could be wrong. :)

Honestly though, the current 17" is an amazing machine. You have to decide what you really need it for, and if this will get the job done. Sure, a dual 1.5 17" would be awesome, but is that something you absolutely need? My rule is always this: buy the system you need when you want it - then you're always guanteed to be happy. As for me, I just bought a 17" iMac, and could care less if G5 iMacs are announced at MWSF. :cool:

The 17" is a great machine - even if updates are around the corner, that is a machine that will satisfy you for quite a long time. And plus, if you're always waiting for the next best thing, well, you'll always be waiting!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

it says that they've got a source telling them that Apple is going to release a Dual 1.5ghz model to the 17" and change the prices on the other models of the powerbook range. Perhaps this was the info and maybe it's going to come out next week?!

That's just too funny. :D

They might as well make it a quad 3.0 GHz machine. It's as likely to happen.

Besides, there are new PowerBooks every day. You go to the store and what do they have in those boxes? They're new PowerBooks. ;)

Spring is coming.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: to wait or not to wait

Originally posted by diehldun

Go ahead and get it. Based on past experience an update is more then just unlikely. Also Apple has a return policy on updates and price changes if they happen within two weeks of your purchase.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jcgerm
I have that rise in the keyboard, and I've had it after 3 attempted repairs (among other repairs for other problems I might add). This problem annoys the hell out of me. And it gets worse and worse as time goes by. I realize it's minor, but they can't seem to fix it. So if I send it in again, it would be it's 4th repair. I'm in college and I don't have time anymore to send it in for a repair. Every waking hour (that I'm not in class) is devoted to my school work at the moment and I NEED this machine to do it. Regardless of how minor this problem is and how much they say they can fix it, I don't trust them. They've had over a month to try and I can't afford to send this thing in for repair anymore. Every time I send it in, I have to backup everything on it. If I send it in again, it's to the point where it's going to effect my grades. I want it replaced and to be done with it.

The rise on our keyboard really is minor. If you didn't have a good eye you would never see it. Also I probably would have never seen it if I hadn't been working with it at eye level. Finally you can't fee the rise on ours at all while typing.

We're going to take it in as soon as her finals are over then they can have it until January if they need to.

jcgerm

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
The rise on our keyboard really is minor. If you didn't have a good eye you would never see it. Also I probably would have never seen it if I hadn't been working with it at eye level. Finally you can't fee the rise on ours at all while typing.

We're going to take it in as soon as her finals are over then they can have it until January if they need to.

Mine actually is in several places and causes a sticking sound. Makes the keyboard feel like it's going to fall off. And it gets worse as time goes on

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jcgerm
Mine actually is in several places and causes a sticking sound. Makes the keyboard feel like it's going to fall off. And it gets worse as time goes on

That sucks. Ours doesn't affect typing at all. That area of the keyboard responds perfectly just like the rest of the keyboard.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
availability in the us is tight on 15 and 17 powerbooks. There are some in stores, not very tight there, but if you want any custom things, ie 1 dimm or faster hard drive, it will take about 3 weeks to get it made in Taiwan and have it shipped direct to you.

I know, that is how i bought my 15" and got it last friday.

also, know that for europe, we only got decent inventory in some stores recently. I hope things get better for you soon also, just did for us.

Best

MD

patmcfar8

macrumors member
May 16, 2003
Reno, NV
Not to throw a little gas on the fire, but here's my story...

I bought my 15" AlPB a month ago and got a really good deal on it through my business sales guy at CompUSA. Now my friend wanted to get the same deal, so I contacted my CompUSA rep and ordered it. Then he called me right back and said, "I can't order that for you, Apple is no longer shipping us ANY 15" AlPBs".

His corporate office gave him no explanation whatsoever. This was last week. Since then my friend ordered it BTO from Apple.com and it's supposed to ship in 5-7 days.

I talked to my CompUSA guy again today and he confirmed that they are completely out of 15" AlPB's and he can't order anymore. He said if he didn't know any better an update was coming, but he has no confirmation at all.

Strange, huh?

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002

it's definitely not happening next week. such a dramatic increase in just two months? no way.

A more likely option would be to increase it to a single 1.5 ghz G4, and maybe at the next iteration, release a dual 1.2 or something (but only if G5s are ways away).

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
We'll probably have one more G4 update in the PowerBooks in February or March to 1.25, 1.33 and 1.42 GHz (12/15", 15" SD, 17") with a couple of other improvements (video cards), maybe L3 cache.

Then G5s in late 2004. My 2p.

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Re: Re: to wait or not to wait

Go ahead and get it. Based on past experience an update is more then just unlikely. Also Apple has a return policy on updates and price changes if they happen within two weeks of your purchase.

Where can you find such a policy? First time I heard of such a thing. I know there is one for resellers but the end users?

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Re: Re: Re: to wait or not to wait

Where can you find such a policy? First time I heard of such a thing. I know there is one for resellers but the end users?

If you buy from the Apple Store online they have a ten business day price protection or money back policy - but NOT on BTO - only on stock machines.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: to wait or not to wait

Originally posted by JBracy
If you buy from the Apple Store online they have a ten business day price protection or money back policy - but NOT on BTO - only on stock machines.

Yah, I was about to correct you there until you mentioned that caveat - this only applies for stock machines, and not BTO machines.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: to wait or not to wait

Originally posted by ~Shard~
Yah, I was about to correct you there until you mentioned that caveat - this only applies for stock machines, and not BTO machines.

Close but also not quite on. They will not return the BTO machine for a cash refund but they will credit you for the difference.

This is straight form the Apple Stores policy page.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price._ To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment

weev

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Re: Re: My thoughts exactly!

Originally posted by imagick
Exactly my point. I've been waiting for mine since September 21st ... still nothing here ...

I start having fits of aggressive behaviour towards advertising materials for the 15" AluBook. ;)

BTW: Is availibility of 15" AlBooks an issue in the States or is it once again just "Old Europe"?

Not just old europe mate, here in australia too

I have been waiting 2 months for my 15" 1.25 custom built, not here yet!!!!!!!!!, and we're supposed to be 'good friends'

:p

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: to wait or not to wait

Close but also not quite on. They will not return the BTO machine for a cash refund but they will credit you for the difference.

This is straight form the Apple Stores policy page.

Thanks for the clarification MacBandit, good to know.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Hey, I heard that Apple completely changed the manufactorer for the powerbooks in the last few weeks, thus for the delay. Is this true?

Where did you hear this? I haven't heard anything along these lines, but that could lead to some interesting possibilities if it were true....

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Hey, I heard that Apple completely changed the manufactorer for the powerbooks in the last few weeks, thus for the delay. Is this true?

That's exactly what every Apple person I have talked to has told me. Also our new Powerbook is supposedly from this batch and hasn't exhibited any latch or screen problems. Also the lid is supposedly thicker on the new ones but I don't have an older one to compare to.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
That's exactly what every Apple person I have talked to has told me. Also our new Powerbook is supposedly from this batch and hasn't exhibited any latch or screen problems. Also the lid is supposedly thicker on the new ones but I don't have an older one to compare to.

-----------------------

When you say "our", do you mean yours, or all of the current Powerbook's purchased w/in a week? because all i can say is that my lid is pretty thin and was a slight (almost none) latch issue.

i know i sound really paranoid about getting the "latest" product, but thats just the way i am...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.