Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Hopefully Safari becomes usable with these new updates. There are quite a few sites that I just can't view. Surprisingly, I use Netscape for most of my web browsing needs.

Hickman

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Wish they'd add some new features to Safari - like some of the stuff Firefox has, for example per site pop up blocking and cookies.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
Brian Hickman said:
Hopefully Safari becomes usable with these new updates. There are quite a few sites that I just can't view. Surprisingly, I use Netscape for most of my web browsing needs.

Hickman

Name them. I've never seen a single site that I "just can't view." That's poppycock.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
When I use Safari 1.2.3 at school, I can view every page that I try to access. Safari 2.0 Update 1 will be even better when I get my Powerbook. I like Safari a lot. My current favorite browser.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
jesuscandle said:
Name them. I've never seen a single site that I "just can't view." That's poppycock.

Try http://www.edmunds.com

The page will come up fine initially. Now, select the "New Cars" tab (or any other tab for that matter) and you will get the top portion of the page, but nothing eles. You are forced to reload the page manually everytime you navigate to a new page. Very annoying.

Hickman

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Brian Hickman said:

The page will come up fine initially. Now, select the "New Cars" tab (or any other tab for that matter) and you will get the top portion of the page, but nothing eles. You are forced to reload the page manually everytime you navigate to a new page. Very annoying.

Hickman

Every page loads absolutely fine for me, find another site :rolleyes:

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hob said:
I've noticed Safari crashes out randomly now and then, hopefully this will improve stability.

yeah..sometimes i'll just make a new tab and then bam!! the beachball..

one thing that REALLY annoys me about safari is it's inability to force-refresh. sometimes i visit a page which I KNOW has changed (normally because i've just changed it myself..) and safari will load the same thing. Apple + refresh..nothing..empty cache..nothing..

is it really that hard to do? works fine in firefox..

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I use Safari exclusively. Do have some sites where it won't work, so I just just don't visit. I do hope that they fix stability issues. It's frustrating when Safari just up and quits.

OnaMacSince1989

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Brian Hickman said:

Hickman

This sort of problem with sites like Edmunds is usually associated with the pop-up blocker since the pages use popups to navigate. Try turning off the blocker when you visit Edmunds or when you experience this problem.

I've been using Safari for 3 years now and love it. Haven't had any major problems. 2.0 is a great improvement on an awesome product. It sucks sitting here at work using MSIE on a PC and getting bombarded with pop ups & pop unders, and run time errors, and little red x's instead of pics, etc, etc...

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
Doesn't work for me either, also another site that doesn't work is my schools registration site, it is secured and only accesible through explorer, have not tried firefox, but when tried with safari, multiple times it tells me i the password is bad but with explorer it works on the first time. :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
nay a single problem. i use the internet quite a lot, specially when i should be working :D everything 100%. only problems related is that Airport frequently loses signal and doesnt like reconnecting to the router. but its hardly a Safari prob

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
OnaMacSince1989 said:
This sort of problem with sites like Edmunds is usually associated with the pop-up blocker since the pages use popups to navigate. Try turning off the blocker when you visit Edmunds or when you experience this problem.

I've been using Safari for 3 years now and love it. Haven't had any major problems. 2.0 is a great improvement on an awesome product. It sucks sitting here at work using MSIE on a PC and getting bombarded with pop ups & pop unders, and run time errors, and little red x's instead of pics, etc, etc...

Edmunds still works the way I described earlier with the pop-up blocker on or off. That was one of the first things that I tried when I ran into this problem.

I just hope that the next revision clears up the issues that I have. Until then, I will stick with Netscape.

Hickman

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Brian Hickman said:

Hickman

Take a Look at this! Im running Safari 1.3.

<edit> Sorry Didnt read the entire post.

Attachments

• Picture 2.pdf
    210.6 KB · Views: 437

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
w_parietti22 said:
Take a Look at this! Im running Safari 1.3.

<edit> Sorry Didnt read the entire post.

That is what I figured. I am running Safari 2.0 (412.2).

Can you try clicking on one of the tabs and see if the page fully renders? I want to see if the incompatibility surfaces in the transition to Safari 2.0.

Thanks,
Hickman

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Still too slow

Since I installed Tiger (I got it early), I was using Safari exclusively until about 3 weeks ago. Frankly, it's too slow and some sites (I never made a note of them) don't display properly. It's Camino or Firefox for me...

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Brian Hickman said:

Hickman

works perfectly for me. takes 2 seconds to display each page. but they are perfect. safari 2.0 (412.2).

in general no problems with safari, no crashes, no page that i can't see yet.

andi

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
try this

Nermal
Does the site not work properly in Safari, or does it just pop
up with a message saying that you must use Windows? If it's
the latter, go to Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

then restart Safari. You will now have an additional menu
which you can use to pretend that you're running IE for
Windows, which will hopefully let you into the site

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Me want cookie manager! Me want cookie manager! OmniWeb has a great one, letting you accept cookies from a site for the duration of the session, which is perfect for using a site that depends on them without leaving their tracking information on your system. I'd love to see that in Safari.

a_1380.gund-feed-me-cookie-monster-sesame-street.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.