Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
What's needed is for a well-known organization to publish the list of the biggest-name companies or organizations that have badly designed pages, to publicly shame them. Sort of like Blackwell's list of the worst-dressed celebrities. It would become a news story, e.g., "TVGuide.com joins CNET's List of Badly Designed Sites" and embarrass them into action.

That's a good idea Doctor Q. Now we need someone to put this into action. It would need to be something very visible for it to cause any impact.
:cool:

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Will the ability to download things from activities come back? I have to use Firefox to take embedded media files off of pages.

Dokter_Mac

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
Brian Hickman said:
Try http://www.edmunds.com

The page will come up fine initially. Now, select the "New Cars" tab (or any other tab for that matter) and you will get the top portion of the page, but nothing eles. You are forced to reload the page manually everytime you navigate to a new page. Very annoying.

Hickman
Hi ,
Have you ever tried Nightshift ? http://www.edmunds.com loads very well with no problems.You can find it here http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27294 . If you run it , a program called "Webkit" with a gold Safari-icon :) is placed in your Application-folder. It's an updated rendering-engine fore Safari (now opensource).There is almost every day a new version from Webkit , so run Nightshift regular. It's good for me between two Safari-updates from Apple and fixes alot of bugs.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Doctor Q said:
What's needed is for a well-known organization to publish the list of the biggest-name companies or organizations that have badly designed pages, to publicly shame them. Sort of like Blackwell's list of the worst-dressed celebrities. It would become a news story, e.g., "TVGuide.com joins CNET's List of Badly Designed Sites" and embarrass them into action.

I'm all for it. My blog's not popular, so it wouldn't be a very good launching point, but let's start a running list and see if we can't get the members of the Brit Pack to support it. Actually, I'm going to start a new thread about it so this one doesn't go directly off topic.
-Chase

apeiros

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2003
Non-working sites

Some of the sites here that don't work in safari (such as http://www.edmunds.com/) don't work because of crappy JavaScripts. For edmunds.com you're lucky since you can simply turn off JS and it will run. Other sites unfortunately are designed with nothing in the head of the designers since JS is obligatory. Sorry, but help those ignorant people and drop them a line about how to use JS (it's for *added* effects, not for *basic functionality*).
Some others simply are not valid, so actually it's not Safaris fault but the webdesigners. Anyway, it seems that Apple tries to imitate other browsers error-recovery for faulty HTML. So drop Apple a line about wrongly displayed pages. There is that nice little bug in the upper right corner. The more complaints the more probable it is to get fixed.

regards
apeiros

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Brian Hickman said:
Edmunds still works the way I described earlier with the pop-up blocker on or off. That was one of the first things that I tried when I ran into this problem.

I just hope that the next revision clears up the issues that I have. Until then, I will stick with Netscape.

Hickman

After you click the tab, click refresh in safari and it loads up correctly.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
As I just mentioned, I made this thread for everyone's complaints about commercial websites.

I just now realized that a 1.3 is kind of unexpected, seeing that Apple dropped support for Jaguar upon Panther's release. Anyone have an idea if they're going to keep the Panther Safari up to date until the frameworks change in Leopard, or something like that?
-Chase

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I haven't had many major issues with Safari, I've had 1 or 2 unexpected quits and a beachball here and there. Sometime the scroll bar get messed up and breaks up into parts, doesn't refresh right or something, not a major problem but it shouldn't do that, sometimes certain images don't load right and I need to refresh, I've had to do that with IE on windows at times as well. At times Safari will lag between pages, not extremely long but longer than usual. Overall I do like Safari a lot, the built in RSS works well and it blocks all the pop ups. Firefox is better in some ways though, it has a more customizable pop up blocker is 1 nice thing.

kolvedic

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
Safari redirects

It seems that these problems are in fact associated with the way safari handles redirects and pages that have frames. On the server side, you can see when a page is loaded that safari does not even attempt to request the information for some frames on the page. One site that I use that has the problem, we have done numerous hours of testing and found this behaviour.

In most of these cases, if you continue to manually refresh it will eventually load the page, with all the frames populated, correctly.

How can it not be Safari's problem when it doesn't even request the frames?

As for the infamous 'cannot connect to server' or 'cannot open page' this issue seems to be associated with Safari closing the connection almost instantly after a request because the server didnt answer fast enough.

I have been tracking this problem for a while, since it started effecting me after one of the Safari upgrades. I love safari but sometimes it just irritates me that they dont seem to be acknowledging that they have this problem or that there is still no fix for it beyond, 'use another browser on this site.' That is ridiculous.

l8r,
Kolvedic

powerbox g4 12"

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
confirmed-the carsite will not work for me, either, popup killer on or off.
and many other sites.

Which is why I keep a backup browser handy: Camino

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
rendezvouscp said:
What's wrong with Blogger in the latest released version of 1.3? I never have had problems with Blogger since I started using them in June of last year.
-Chase

Type a post in Blogger using FireFox and tell me if you see a few extra features...

Blogger compatibility

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
TrenchMouth said:
Type a post in Blogger using FireFox and tell me if you see a few extra features...

Blogger compatibility

Wow, I can't believe I went a year without knowing that Blogger had all those cool features. Now I wish I used Blogger... (unless WordPress has features like this I don't know about! *storms off*).
-Chase

Addition 'cause I didn't want to have two consecutive posts:

Grr, so WP has neat features like this too. Now, I might switch to FF due to Safari's lack of these features.
-Chase

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
seashellz said:
confirmed-the carsite will not work for me, either, popup killer on or off.
and many other sites.

Which is why I keep a backup browser handy: Camino

Why do you prefer Camino over, say... FireFox? :)
Seriously, I'm used to FF from the Windows side, found it a natural step to move my settings to my Mac install, etc. Is Camino a lot prettier, or something? How up to date is it with all the underlying technologies FireFox uses?

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
artifex said:
Why do you prefer Camino over, say... FireFox? :)
Seriously, I'm used to FF from the Windows side, found it a natural step to move my settings to my Mac install, etc. Is Camino a lot prettier, or something? How up to date is it with all the underlying technologies FireFox uses?

Camino is made for the Mac more than FF, so it takes advantage of Mac-specific features. FF is practically limited by what can be done in all three major OS's, so FF doesn't take advantage of a lot of Mac capabilities (Deer Park might change things a bit though). Camino is only for the Mac, making it (generally) a better Mac browser.
-Chase

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Safari for me seems to have a memory leak. After having it opened for a while it uses over 100 MB of RAM. Annoying.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Looking at the code for some of those sites mentioned, you can see that it's not CSS or HTML that is the problem, it's badly coded javascript. A couple of the sites, such as the ticket site detect either IE or Netscape in the user agent string and do different things depending on that - there's no fallback for other browsers. So it's not really Safari's fault, it's the site designers.

If you come across a site like that, rather than use another browser or switch the useragent in the debug menu, tell the site owner that their site doesn't work and why. Until people do that, they probably don't know they are losing customers and are blissfully unaware how many Safari users there are.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
I tried the edmunds site w/no problem under safari 1.2, the pgawest site did give me problems. There will always be some sites that are still coded for IE specifically, or as other's mentioned, just have poor web/java scripting in general. This is the unfortunate downside to MS pushing the IE browser and not following standards. Now that MS and IE are associated with virus problems, we have seen more people getting back to standards. FF and other browsers coming back in to the market are also helping this.

For me, I don't understand the people who complain about Safari because it doesn't work with some sites, or is missing that feature or this. IMHO, ANY browser is better than IE. Camino gives me problems with some sites, so has FF, Safari and Omniweb - but in general they ALL work for 98% of the websites I use on a regular basis. Some also have different features, that is why I narrowed my choices down to Safari and Camino - they are what work best for me and I like. Choice is good and I am happy not to choose IE.

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
what is wrong with my safari?

weird.jpg

the same thing goes for my dashboard.. very much frustrated about it already.
but my firefox works fine

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
joeyboy76 said:
what is wrong with my safari?

Woah, what did you do? Seriously, there's something really wrong with Webkit on your system. I could tell you to repair permissions, but I have a feeling that won't help. :rolleyes:

Look to make sure you didn't throw anything away in the Trash, and you might need to go to Apple's website and download the latest update to Safari or Mac OS X to see if things can get straightened out. Good luck!
-Chase

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
rendezvouscp said:
Woah, what did you do? Seriously, there's something really wrong with Webkit on your system. I could tell you to repair permissions, but I have a feeling that won't help. :rolleyes:

Look to make sure you didn't throw anything away in the Trash, and you might need to go to Apple's website and download the latest update to Safari or Mac OS X to see if things can get straightened out. Good luck!
-Chase

i did the reinstall of safari from the imac system installation disk.
no luck.
i downloaded the nightshift thingie to supposedly update the webkit
no luck.

i want the reinstallation of the whole system as my final resort.... it's such a tedious task!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
joeyboy76 said:
i did the reinstall of safari from the imac system installation disk.
no luck.
i downloaded the nightshift thingie to supposedly update the webkit
no luck.

i want the reinstallation of the whole system as my final resort.... it's such a tedious task!

Don't re-install! I just zipped up the WebKit framework found at /System/Library/Frameworks/ and I'm loading it to my iDisk. Replacing mine with yours (if you're running 10.4.2) should fix things. I'll post again when I've uploaded it.
-Chase

EDIT: Woah, my iDisk is being snappier than I thought it was going to be. Here's the framework you need. Go ahead and delete the current one, then launch Safari (it won't launch, btw), then replace it with my new one, and launch it again to see if it works. WebKit.framework Good luck!
-Chase

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
The Black Rock said:
Will the ability to download things from activities come back? I have to use Firefox to take embedded media files off of pages.

Just option-click the file you want to download.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
wow, deja vu.

Safari 2.0

So edmunds.com also didn't render the second page without clicking refresh.

Safari rendering does not bother me too much, i can work around it, perfect? No. Safari, and the apple platform do lack usability compared to Windows IE 5.5+ with respect to plug ins too. There are things that CANNOT be done. And IE is still the defacto standard for web development, quite sad.
I have OS choice working where i do in Commercial real estate, here is my partial list of sites that don't work correctly in safari/apple os:
(you actually may have to be a member or sign up to see the errors, which i don't expect you to do, but this post is a counter to the folks who believe there is nothing wrong with Safari)

http://www.iredonline.com (windows don't render correctly, popups don't spawn, pages don't render like MSIE 5.5 *not developed for safari)

http://www.resultsmail.com (IE for mac or windows required for log in due to the email composition tool. Also will not correctly upload a .CSV file, works using the same file in window browser only)

http://www.xdrive.com (Java based uploading for files and folders, only works once, then you must restart your browser, safari also lacks the adjustable frames that MSIE 5.5+ have.)

http://www.plexisgroup.com/efiniti/index.cfm (Click on the county links in purple on the left column. This demonstrates one of the non-existant plug-in that is available in windows browsing only. Do i think apple should be proactive in making sure there is a mac version of every plugin, yes. This plugin is from autodesk,for windows. This lack of plugin means hundreds of GIS sites won't work for mac people, look for GIS in your area, start by looking for your county homepage.)

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org/ (just an example of menu problems, minor)

http://www.aihsc.org/ (more menu issues,the menu appears at the top of the window, not next to the right arrow, again, minor i suppose)

So my boss loves the macs that i have shown him, in the store and at his office. He would like to adopt the technology. But he does see me move to a windows machine to do web stuff. He would not be happy to go back about 5 years in web technology. I estimate that the sites that are unusable (therefore not available) with safari, especially the mapping GIS ones, effectively take apple browsing back 5 years.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
jesuscandle said:
Name them. I've never seen a single site that I "just can't view." That's poppycock.

I use Safari for 99% of my needs, but I simply cannot view stuff on start.veruzon.net (I think it uses ActiveX or something) and I cannot upload photos to my Yahoo Briefcase. there are a handful of other sites that don't behave with Safari, but they are few and far between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.