Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
rendezvouscp said:
Don't re-install! I just zipped up the WebKit framework found at /System/Library/Frameworks/ and I'm loading it to my iDisk. Replacing mine with yours (if you're running 10.4.2) should fix things. I'll post again when I've uploaded it.
-Chase

EDIT: Woah, my iDisk is being snappier than I thought it was going to be. Here's the framework you need. Go ahead and delete the current one, then launch Safari (it won't launch, btw), then replace it with my new one, and launch it again to see if it works. WebKit.framework Good luck!
-Chase

i have downloaded it, but how do i replace it?

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
joeyboy76 said:
i have downloaded it, but how do i replace it?

Go to /System/Library/Frameworks and delete the current WebKit.framework (it'll ask for an admin password, and make sure that Safari isn't running). Then go ahead and put in the one you downloaded once you open up the .zip file. It'll ask for an admin password too. Then launch Safari, and hopefully all will be well. Post here if it works too. :)
-Chase

strale

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2005
map24

They really should get rid of khtml, or at least offer to use the Gecko engine. Safari is good for browsing news site, but when it comes to java sites, like map24.com ... it just sucks. Sometines, after using Safari a lot, it uses 100% CPU.

Firefox - while not as snappy as Safari - is still the better browser.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
strale said:
They really should get rid of khtml, or at least offer to use the Gecko engine. Safari is good for browsing news site, but when it comes to java sites, like map24.com ... it just sucks. Sometines, after using Safari a lot, it uses 100% CPU.

Firefox - while not as snappy as Safari - is still the better browser.

Ah, so easy for someone to say, but I'm sure you're making a few web developers cringe. Why? Well, I'm partial to Safari because I think that the team behind it is fantastic, and now that it's open source, there's going to be even more improvements made. Safari has some fantastic standards compatibility that really makes things easier sometimes. Sure, it's not the best browser out there for most people because of the rendering engine, but I think that it's a great app. It's got some problems like using way too many resources, but those will be worked out with time. Hopefully.
-Chase

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
asif786 said:
yeah..sometimes i'll just make a new tab and then bam!! the beachball..

one thing that REALLY annoys me about safari is it's inability to force-refresh. sometimes i visit a page which I KNOW has changed (normally because i've just changed it myself..) and safari will load the same thing. Apple + refresh..nothing..empty cache..nothing..

is it really that hard to do? works fine in firefox..

safari is very stable for me but i dont really use tabs. till today, i had a bunch of tabs open, using them to surf the web for hours today and it did end up crashing on me. i was very surprised. maybe it crashes more if you use tabs?

Bodie

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
Pioneer, CA
Poppycock my arse.

jesuscandle said:
Name them. I've never seen a single site that I "just can't view." That's poppycock.

How amazing it is that you must have visited EVERY web site and opened EVERY web page.

Safari 1.2 (OSX 10.3.9) Has display problems with portions of eBay. Particularly with some of their help pages. When I encounter those problems, I use Firefox. eBay has been notified and Apple has been sent a bug report.

Glad to hear an update is coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.