Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:
Me want cookie manager! Me want cookie manager! OmniWeb has a great one, letting you accept cookies from a site for the duration of the session, which is perfect for using a site that depends on them without leaving their tracking information on your system. I'd love to see that in Safari.

a_1380.gund-feed-me-cookie-monster-sesame-street.jpg

That's a brilliant idea.

mmmmmmmm, cookies!!!!

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
AndrewMT said:
I can't get the Windows Update site do display correctly. So there!

You shouldn't be there anyway. Only great evil comes out of that abyss of a website. Be afraid for nothing good lives there.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
hob said:
I've noticed Safari crashes out randomly now and then, hopefully this will improve stability.
I have had this problem as well. Sometimes Safari works great for days and then sometimes it will just close itself 2 or 3 times in under an hour.

Sped

macrumors regular
May 30, 2003
Server Resets

Has anyone had problems with server resets in Safari 2.0? Since upgrading to 2.0, usaa.com often resets the connection to the server. I never had a problem with any previous version of Safari. Other secure banking / financial sites work fine for me. Any thoughts?

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Brian Hickman said:
Well, all three of the Macs in my house and all of the ones at work have the same issue that I have. There is at least one other person on this forum that has the issue as well.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1589471#post1589471

You might be the only one that doesn't. What version of Safari are you running?

Hickman

Running Safari 2.0 (412.2), I will admit that some of the pages can be fussy, a simply refresh sorts them out, and I must say what do you expect from a page that fails to validate with 272 errors :eek:

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
does blogger.com function fully in safari 2.0? because i know it doesnt in 1.x and that is the reason i still have a copy of FireFox on my computer.

briangrapes

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2004
Sped, I had experienced all kinds of problems when viewing usaa.com before this latest update (including the server resets you mentioned), however all is fine now I can browse my account without any problems. Before I would have to open up Firefox just to check my account, but this latest version of Safari seems to be working great for me.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Brian Hickman said:
Try http://www.edmunds.com

The page will come up fine initially. Now, select the "New Cars" tab (or any other tab for that matter) and you will get the top portion of the page, but nothing eles. You are forced to reload the page manually everytime you navigate to a new page. Very annoying.

Hickman

I have the same problem, i just deal with it. The link you provided wouldnt load for me the first time either, I had to reload.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Brian Hickman said:
Hopefully Safari becomes usable with these new updates. There are quite a few sites that I just can't view. Surprisingly, I use Netscape for most of my web browsing needs.

My sons have been using Safari under Tiger 10.4(.0) that came on their iMac G5 without any problem. It seems stable. What is making it unuseable for you?

Panoctopi

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
jesuscandle said:
Name them. I've never seen a single site that I "just can't view." That's poppycock.
the only one i've ever had a problem with is Groove Tickets I'm not sure if this is because of safari or not but if someone can explain it to me...

Panoctopi

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Brian Hickman said:
Try http://www.edmunds.com

The page will come up fine initially. Now, select the "New Cars" tab (or any other tab for that matter) and you will get the top portion of the page, but nothing eles. You are forced to reload the page manually everytime you navigate to a new page. Very annoying.

Hickman
hmm, it loaded fine...

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Safari-proof Sites

Here are some sites that work wonky with Safari (V2.0 412.2):

SCE.com (Southern California Edision) bill pay crashes Safari when the link is clicked

Ford Family Plan page <http://www.fordvehicles.com/?bannerid=FV80002> then click the Find your family plan price button. THe pull-down "Choose your vehicle" doesn't work in Safari, works in Firefox

Edmunds.com- Like most everyone else, it takes two tries to load a page

A few others I can't remember off hand. Checked these on multiple machines, all hand the same problems. Running 10.4.2 on all

Safari still loads fast and works with most sites. I've learned to keep Firefox handy for these sites and any others that are difficult.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
mowogg said:
Here are some sites that work wonky with Safari (V2.0 412.2)...
Also tvguide.com, which makes the first column too skinny so pictures and text overlay other text. They even redesigned their look and feel once without dealing with the site problems for Safari users. I complained a very long time ago, and they've never fixed it. Rather than switch browsers, I switched websites. Take heed, tvguide, my wallet and I still won't be seeing your website ads.

Attachments

• tvguide.png
    tvguide.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 119

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
TrenchMouth said:
does blogger.com function fully in safari 2.0? because i know it doesnt in 1.x and that is the reason i still have a copy of FireFox on my computer.

What's wrong with Blogger in the latest released version of 1.3? I never have had problems with Blogger since I started using them in June of last year.
-Chase

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
My question is, when are we going to start blaming people who make poor sites, instead the way correct browsers interpret them. A lot of sites use bad proprietary code that doesn't work across all browsers, and isn't based or coded around the published standards. In most cases Firefox, Safari, etc. try to make as many sites show up correctly as they can, but realistically some sites are just created poorly.

If things are to change around we need to start emailing sites that don't work correctly in standards compliant browsers, and tell them that it's time to make sites that work for all users.

I don't think browsers should be blamed for sites not displaying correctly, especially a browser like safari which has amazing support for web standards.

However, I think that UI bugs, render bugs (such as the scrolling background bug), and crashing of course should be fixed, and I am glad to see that safari is continuously updated to work better for its users.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
MrSugar said:
My question is, when are we going to start blaming people who make poor sites, instead the way correct browsers interpret them.
What's needed is for a well-known organization to publish the list of the biggest-name companies or organizations that have badly designed pages, to publicly shame them. Sort of like Blackwell's list of the worst-dressed celebrities. It would become a news story, e.g., "TVGuide.com joins CNET's List of Badly Designed Sites" and embarrass them into action.

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
more CSS support perhaps?

If theres anything that should be improved in Safari it's the css support, theres plenty of properties that arn't supported yet, I mean they were one of the first to add a text-shadow property (I think). Even if it does it amazingly already why not improve upon it?

Check this out: http://developer.apple.com/internet/safari/safari_css.html

btw.. If a site dosn't render in a browser it's just as much the webmasters loss as the browsers & I would love safari to support aural css, to match the 'new' voiceover parts of os x.

bernardb

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Sarafi/OmniWeb Combo

I use Safari for all of my internet needs except for online banking. Safari still is very quirky and unuseable with my banks. I use OmniWeb for all banking transactions.

There are also a few non-bank sites I cannot view properly with Safari....

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Doctor Q said:
What's needed is for a well-known organization to publish the list of the biggest-name companies or organizations that have badly designed pages, to publicly shame them. Sort of like Blackwell's list of the worst-dressed celebrities. It would become a news story, e.g., "TVGuide.com joins CNET's List of Badly Designed Sites" and embarrass them into action.

Now that is a great idea. Although I could see forums on a site like that turning into a Mac vs. PC bitch-o-rama.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.