Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
NOT Q3......not an even field.

The whole reason I reccomended a Blizzard title is because the games don't rely so heavily on grafix acceleration. Not to mention the strategy element. Q3 has distinct lamenesses: Just sit on an entry point and kill 'em as they come in. Lame. We need to establish a game both of you have that you're both skilled in that doesn't require much power from the machines. Hence Starcraft: it's old, popular, not really effected by which machines are used and set up through a public site. Arbitration and Witnessing could be fairly easy by inputting "neutral" players.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
Re: NOT Q3......not an even field.

Originally posted by mischief
The whole reason I reccomended a Blizzard title is because the games don't rely so heavily on grafix acceleration. Not to mention the strategy element. Q3 has distinct lamenesses: Just sit on an entry point and kill 'em as they come in. Lame. We need to establish a game both of you have that you're both skilled in that doesn't require much power from the machines. Hence Starcraft: it's old, popular, not really effected by which machines are used and set up through a public site. Arbitration and Witnessing could be fairly easy by inputting "neutral" players.

Umm..."Just sit on an entry point and kill 'em as they come in." That's called camping, lamers do it and no one with any actual skill does it. Quake 3 is a better way to find a superior. Kill or be killed. It's that simple. Starcraft is all fine and good(I love Warcraft more than Quake 3 actually) but to me...I just don't get the same feeling of "I OWNED YOU" from it.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
********* you say.

Quake 3 is too reliant on frame rate. Warcraft would be better but it's harder to maintain game ballance than Starcraft. Unless we have a sponsor to host a LAN game (assuming you two are local to each other) there's no way to make two widely variant Macs play the same.

They threw me off the IOC because I was too picky. sheesh.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

You all are right; you all win; whatever. BLAH! Unless we all wanted to get together for Q3 games just for fun some time, this thread is going in a totally pointless direction. Can we get back to the topic at hand which is rumors on the PowerBook G4?

Other rumor sites are increasingly suggesting that a brand new mobile card will make its way into the next generation of PowerBooks -- and by "new" I mean not the GeForce2Go that is in some PCs, but NVIDIA's next generation. Anyone else heard/seen anything on this?

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
I agree

John123 I agree, there lurks a certain immaturity in some posters. Sad thing is that they are all adults.

JoyBoy

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2001
I'm no adult :D

Humm..."new" chipset? Based on the GeForce3 technology possibly...or something like that. Interesting to say the least.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
*More evidence for new TiBook*

There is some new evidence in favor of a new TiBook in September:

The price on the low-end model of the TiBook is now $1979 for academic institutions, down from the $2339 it's been for eons...the other two are now down to $2699 and $3147, respectively.

Big price drops, particularly in education markets, often signal new products on the way. Yay!

Kela

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2001
US
news

For those of you who havent heard, please visit macosrumors.com. The Ti2 will have the 7500 new version of the ATI Radeon in it!

Gallifrey

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
when should i get ti?

Will there be a new ti2 comming out? I would love to have one... but I want to wait for the next rev. Will that be out soon?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: news

Originally posted by Kela
For those of you who havent heard, please visit macosrumors.com. The Ti2 will have the 7500 new version of the ATI Radeon in it!

Apparently, Kela doesn't quite understand the distinction between rumor and fact.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
And apparently john talks out his ass, so no need to listen to him whether it is rumor or fact he farts on about.

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Re: Full Potenial Resolution (ARE YOU CRAZY?!)

Originally posted by mikebach
II worked on a Tibook before.. Love the speed hate the crowded work space due to low res. It that when you working on a brochure or magazine spread in illustrstor and/or photoshop 1024 x 768 with all the palettes open gives you a very small and cumbersome work space. At 1600x1200 with all the palettes open you work space is huge you can don't have to scroll to look at things everywhere. That was my main reason I purchase the IBM...I was just wondering if anyone thinks that in the Rev2 TiBook they will up to resolution to a higher resolution be be on par with some of the Higherend notebooks offered by IBM, Sony and Dell. Don't get me wrong..The TiBook is a great machine. I would just be perfect with a option to use it a a higher res. Any Guesses ANYONE?.

i don't konw about you but i'm blind, (well not legaly ^_^) and have a hard enough time with the current TiBook screen! i run my 19" monitor at 1152x870 for crying out loud!

i have to hand it to apple for sticking to a reasonable resolution for this long! but i can see it coming, they have already turned the iBook into something that i can no longer use. (without a lot of effort :()

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Re: Xactly

Originally posted by Kela
This may seem wierd but...indeed, we may see a slightly thicker powerbook g5. INVESTING in a Ti g4 now is dumb since a revision 2 is due out in the next 3-4 months.
unless you need a laptop a week ago! (like me, i'm STILL waiting for my TiBook that i order on the 18th!)

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Re: Wow

Originally posted by john123

Wow, that was a defensive post if I've ever seen one!

Anyway, I think that this actually went somewhere important: what to buy today and what to buy tomorrow. By your own concession, computers tomorrow will beat computers today. My argument is that that means PowerBooks of tomorrow (2 years) will beat desktops of today(including your flashy dual-800) -- and that's at gaming or whatever else you want to talk about. So, unless you are completely loaded, or are looking to buy your computer for the long haul, you should get something that IS NOT top of the line (so you aren't paying premium prices) and upgrade frequently. You'll have a machine that is always state-of-the-art while losing a minimum in depreciation. You can always prey on the less computer-savvy by selling your used Mac right before Expos and therefore getting top dollar for your machine while maximizing the time that you have to use it.

I guess, JoyBoy, where I'm left befuddled is why you want to invest *SO* much in a computer today, and to make it complete with every gizmo and gadget out there, when you don't have the resources to upgrade frequently or don't choose to. I just am not getting why you don't save some of that cash and trade-up your Mac in a year and get your NVIDIA GeForce 4 card with 64 MB of VRAM or whatever is "in" at that point in time...and if you "just like to play games"...well... $3500+monitor+peripherals is an awful lot to pay for games. I hear there is this new thing called the Sony Playstation out..................

[Edited by john123 on 08-14-2001 at 10:44 PM] [/B]

lets get our defininition of upgrade right!

to me and a lot of people i know an upgrade is to exchange a componat of a machine for a better one. eg proccessor upgrade , or graphincs card upgraded or a sound card upgrade none of wich you can do on the power book!

otoh, the false upgrade that i think your refuring to is actuly a compleet system replacement, both of those have there advantages, namely a componant upgrade is a lot cheaper! where as you do get a little more bang for your buck with a system upgrade.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Anyway, the playstation 2 is a **** console. It has ****ed up the gaming industry, destroyed games developers etc
the playstation2 doesnt even have anti-aliasing, it is very hard to program for, it is overpriced, ugly, it has destroyed games developers, it breaks, it had to be recalled god knows how many times, it had a late launch, it had a **** launch, it will never have better graphics than its competitors (x-box, gamecube).
So it is a **** up.
considering all that, I would much rather spend a bit more cash for a pc.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: Re: Wow

Originally posted by Hes Nikke
lets get our defininition of upgrade right!

to me and a lot of people i know an upgrade is to exchange a componat of a machine for a better one. eg proccessor upgrade , or graphincs card upgraded or a sound card upgrade none of wich you can do on the power book!

otoh, the false upgrade that i think your refuring to is actuly a compleet system replacement, both of those have there advantages, namely a componant upgrade is a lot cheaper! where as you do get a little more bang for your buck with a system upgrade.

Sorry, guy, but I don't think your delineation here is shared by all. Or even most, since I have spent the last three years actually working in computing services and all the technogeeks use the word "upgrade" to refer to both components and whole systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.