Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wow. I Purchased ‘No mans sky’ when it released. Since then, I have owned/played at least 70 other games that have ‘come and gone’ where I sold/traded them, and NMS is the only game I actually retained in my library this long. It’s the most unique game available in todays genre of gaming. We just don’t see enough outer space games that allow you to traverse the way NMS offers the gamer, and the fact that they continually provide free updates year-after-year, really says something. I’m glad they had a league of advisors jump on board on this game to keep it surviving.

I can't wait until they harness the power of the PS5 and Xbox Series X and release updates for those!!!

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
latest update is AWESOME!

fingers crossed for PS5 and XBox Series X updates!!!

I played 3 hours of No Man's Sky yesterday and didn't even touch the new update. What a great game to just get lost in and relax. I spent maybe 20 minutes just taking 'cool' sci-fi style pictures of my spaceship flying through asteroids hah.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I played 3 hours of No Man's Sky yesterday and didn't even touch the new update. What a great game to just get lost in and relax. I spent maybe 20 minutes just taking 'cool' sci-fi style pictures of my spaceship flying through asteroids hah.

I think I already mentioned this to you, it’s the only video game in my archive that I have not sold over the last 50+ games. You could offer me full retail price and I would decline. (BTW, when it launched in August years ago, I actually did pay full retail price for this game and others were calling ‘me crazy’, who’s the crazy one now?😁)

Reactions: Burningtime

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
I think I already mentioned this to you, it’s the only video game in my archive that I have not sold over the last 50+ games. You could offer me full retail price and I would decline. (BTW, when it launched in August years ago, I actually did pay full retail price for this game and others were calling ‘me crazy’, who’s the crazy one now??)

Same here. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition before it launched and still keep the disc in it's metal case inside the box. It's a game I'll hold onto for a long time.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Same here. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition before it launched and still keep the disc in it's metal case inside the box. It's a game I'll hold onto for a long time.

I took advantage of the Launch Disaster and got the CE on eBay for $40 shipped as people just wanted rid of it... I was unable to order a CE before launch - glad that happened... ;)

There was a guy on eBay with a bunch of the iam8bit ship models (no download codes) and I got that for like $45 shipped as well...

I scored!!!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
YET another update:

Fingers crossed for a PS5/XBox Series update to take advantage of the new features...

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
YET another update:

Fingers crossed for a PS5/XBox Series update to take advantage of the new features...

You can pretty much guarantee that they will update this game for next-gen consoles. The amount of work this team has put into the game post-launch is very impressive.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Woohoo NMS is getting updates for the XSX and PS5 launch. Looks like they are free for owners of the prior Gen versions.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
yes, awesome example of support from the Devs - more than makes up for the launch debacle...

Interestingly before the updates started streaming in- GS had used copies for $8.... now they have them for $35 :eek:
The other day I was actually thinking about how the used game market will work.

Why buy a physical series x copy of Cyberpunk when I can buy an Xbox one version that I can then resell to a bigger market?

After all, an Xbox one and series x version of a game functions identically on a series x.

The disc is just a license for the console to download and run the latest build of a game.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Why buy a physical series x copy of Cyberpunk when I can buy an Xbox one version that I can then resell to a bigger market?

After all, an Xbox one and series x version of a game functions identically on a series x.

The disc is just a license for the console to download and run the latest build of a game.

I would try to get as many Xbox One and PS4 games used cheap as they will play better on next-gen and may go up in price once people figure out which games have updates and play better.

Though, owners of the Series S and PS5 Digital-only will not be able to use them...

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.

By that same logic, why would someone buy a used copy of a Series X game when they could just buy the used copy of a One game after you resell it.

I think the used market is going to adjust whichever way they can.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
By that same logic, why would someone buy a used copy of a Series X game when they could just buy the used copy of a One game after you resell it.

I think the used market is going to adjust whichever way they can.
That makes me wonder if some games will only have one physical copy per platform e.g. PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Series.

Some games won't permanently be on gamepass which will keep the used game market flourishing for a few more years, unless digital copies are sold at bargain prices.

I would try to get as many Xbox One and PS4 games used cheap as they will play better on next-gen and may go up in price once people figure out which games have updates and play better.

Though, owners of the Series S and PS5 Digital-only will not be able to use them...
Good point. Many games will indeed be more enjoyable on the next gen versus current gen consoles.

It will be like upgrading the CPU and GPU on a PC and smiles at your favorite games running better than ever.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Is it easy to get into? I seem to have heard a lot about this recently and am considering buying it for my PS4 Pro but don't want to spend hours trying to get the hand of it

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Is it easy to get into? I seem to have heard a lot about this recently and am considering buying it for my PS4 Pro but don't want to spend hours trying to get the hand of it
I think it is easy to get into. I told my son it is a prettier version of Minecraft (in Space!!). The game does basically hold your hand on how to do things though (which I know Minecraft doesn't).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
57733E66-C09F-45C7-B9FA-778345E81FB1.jpeg

Enjoying the vastness and tranquility of exploring ‘Rontone’ on the Samsung QLED. The visuals, the sound effects and immersion is very surreal with NMS. Now only if this could be a reality.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I only tried the game for 15min two weeks ago. Stunning. Overall what is campaign mode like?

I haven’t tried campaign, I only have with ‘creative’ mode, basically where you have unlimited health and resources, where you can freely travel and explore at your will. But I do plan on starting campaign maybe even tonight, being creative is fun, but I want something with a little bit more depth. I actually purchased this game new when it launched in 2016 and it’s made so many strides of improvements in every facet possible. Really awesome game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.