Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I tried it with framelock on and off. However its mostly isolated to those ports. Because of their design and the size of my tv (in relation to the distance I sit from it) its much more noticeable. Else where in the universe isn't nearly as bad but I can still find it in places on occasion.

Its somewhat ironic that I was playing the game and everything was great and I coincidentally land in a place that shows the issue the worst after the update.

I'll just wait a couple months or so I have a list of games I need to beat anyway. I'm waiting on a sale for Yakuza 0 and I don't want a back log of unbeaten games before I get it. No Mans Sky isn't something I can beat anyway, so I can always come back to it.

Interesting....

I just upgraded my PC's AMD Radeon drivers to the latest version, now I'm getting the same flickering in the PC version...

Trying out different settings to see if it clears up...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Interesting....

I just upgraded my PC's AMD Radeon drivers to the latest version, now I'm getting the same flickering in the PC version...

Trying out different settings to see if it clears up...

That is interesting. Let me know if you find a setting that fixes it. I probably won't be able to do it but I have an open case with Hello games. They said I'm not the only person that has reported something similar but not many have.

I haven't really played too much since then but it might be isolated to very few areas.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
No Man's Sky NEXT - FREE update to current users, and Xbox One Version (with all content)!

4K HDR support for consoles....

Now that's the way to make things up to your community....

:)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I decided to play No Man's Sky on my PS 4 again and after the update finished updating. I enjoyed returning to the game, but some of the frustrations that I ran into, still exist - more so.

So I started from scratch because my saved game must have been deleted (not saved) when I installed an SSD into my PS4. Starting over is ok, and I'm poking around, except to get beyond the basic base building I need pure Ferrite. In order get that I need an advanced mining tool, except I have no way of finding that.

The game is basically a mining game, I'll probably try to creative mode and see how that is.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
Following one of the main quest lines will get you the advanced mining laser, but from memory I really couldn't tell you which one.
To get pure ferrite, you should be able to use the portable refiner to create it. Put Ferrite and some fuel in, and it'll spit out what you need. :)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Updates keep coming, and they all look great. I really need to pick this up again. I even enjoyed the launch version, just got distracted from it by other games. Looks like now is a great time to jump back in!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Updates keep coming, and they all look great. I really need to pick this up again. I even enjoyed the launch version, just got distracted from it by other games. Looks like now is a great time to jump back in!

VISIONS - Yet another update

the devs must be living off their launch money as other companies this would be paid DLC and the update will include microtransactions...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So I played this game for a month or two when it launched, then got sidetracked.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but also felt the limitations of the randomly generated planets. After a while, all planets just felt like variations of each other. Different colors, plants look a little different, animals look a little different, but in the end it was very evident they all came out of the same toolbox. And there was next to no variety in what one would actually do on them. Scan surface for landmarks, mine some materials, move on...

Has any of this been addressed with the various updates? I love exploring, I don’t need an exciting adventure with witty characters, but I‘d like my experience on the different planets to not be so similar all the time.

Reactions: a2jack

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
So I played this game for a month or two when it launched, then got sidetracked.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but also felt the limitations of the randomly generated planets. After a while, all planets just felt like variations of each other. Different colors, plants look a little different, animals look a little different, but in the end it was very evident they all came out of the same toolbox. And there was next to no variety in what one would actually do on them. Scan surface for landmarks, mine some materials, move on...

Has any of this been addressed with the various updates? I love exploring, I don’t need an exciting adventure with witty characters, but I‘d like my experience on the different planets to not be so similar all the time.

Yes - Two (going on three) updates ago...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
What’s the story on creative mode? Good choice if I just want to explore the universe?

That's what I use - everything is "FREE" you need no resources or money to do stuff!

Just do whatever you want and it costs stuff but you have infinite resources - just "build it" you don't even need any blueprints.

You can just get better ships and freighters without even having the money.

You do have to "charge things" but just charge it - none of the resources to do so are necessary.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Creative mode is the best. If you just want to chill out and explore without having to work for the resources it’s fantastic.

The only thing about creative mode, it just becomes less challenging for those who want to actually go beyond that. I do think it’s rather mundane after a while, although I like to have the option of ‘free roaming’ without having micro-costs built inside the game. Either way, it’s probably the most widely selected choice with creative mode, simply because the game does have a _steep_ learning curve, and this helps you figure things out at the users own pace.

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Played a few hours this weekend. Didn’t feel that different compared to pre-updates, but I enjoyed it. Planets look a little fuller and busier, I guess? Some aliens still look really awkward. :)

Played in creative mode, but it felt a little too pointless. When you don’t need to mine and collect resources, there really is not much left to do and explore on the planets. So I went back to regular mode, so mining for resources at least means something. Of course I am completely lost in my years-old save file, still need to figure out where I am and what I need to do next...
[doublepost=1565564170][/doublepost]This still makes me laugh uncontrollably! :D

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I hated this game when it launched but it's impressive how they continued to provide so many content updates.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Latest patch adds Mechs!!!

Wow. I Purchased ‘No mans sky’ when it released. Since then, I have owned/played at least 70 other games that have ‘come and gone’ where I sold/traded them, and NMS is the only game I actually retained in my library this long. It’s the most unique game available in todays genre of gaming. We just don’t see enough outer space games that allow you to traverse the way NMS offers the gamer, and the fact that they continually provide free updates year-after-year, really says something. I’m glad they had a league of advisors jump on board on this game to keep it surviving.

Reactions: Burningtime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.