Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I'm sure several of you have already seen it, but there was an AMA on reddit with Sean Murray. He has a lot of responses focused on No Man's Sky.

After reading through it I might actually consider picking up this game. Have had some interest, but I'm positive that I wouldn't have the time to invest in it.

Reactions: MRU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The Gamestop I was just in a couple of guys each bought one based on the reviews (or hype depending on your views) - they seemed to me to be the GTA type of guys (sorry to profile here).

I was asking about the Collector's copy - his store didn't have any orders none were sent and no extras.

(one guy on eBay has 6 copies to sell - BIN for $125 plus shipping!!!)

The hype's starting to turn me off... :eek:

Don't care since $79 is a big investment for a game - fingers crossed for a $20 sale copy on Steam over the holidays... ;)

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Feedback I've heard is that if you are into exploring, you will likely like NMS.

If, however, you are into action/shoot'em ups, you probably won't like it.

I don't see anything new there, but given that the hype-o-meter hit 11 a long time ago, a good thing for people to remember.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Feedback I've heard is that if you are into exploring, you will likely like NMS.

If, however, you are into action/shoot'em ups, you probably won't like it.

I don't see anything new there, but given that the hype-o-meter hit 11 a long time ago, a good thing for people to remember.

Yeah, I was at a coffeeshop bummin' with my laptop and I watched them play it live on IGN.

The player made comments like "Boy, this is taking a while" (while flying through space), and "I might get lost in these caves"... oh, boy!!!

Seems like you have to craft a lot, and of course, in order to do something, you need to craft something, and of course you don't have the materials and now you have to scrounge for them.

I almost fell asleep a couple of times.

At least in Everspace, the stuff you need is in space and is usually patrolled by enemy fighters or drones and you gotta fight for them... ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Gamestop in Berlin is selling NMS for 74,99 €. What are they smoking? All other retailers list it for 59,99 €.
Even PSN it's 59.99 however Gamestop here also have it listed for €74.99 too. I found dead gamestop pricing shocking unless you are doing trades.

The download is only 4.5gb

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
My PS4 Collector's version just showed up yesterday, but I haven't had a chance yet to check it out. Hopefully today.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I thought I was going to buy this game for sure on launch day but after watching the videos I'm not so sure now. I hate crafting. I thought there would be more of a networked element to the game but it seems like they just made 18 trillion points so you never run out of doing the same thing. I thought people could create worlds that others could explore but it's more of a solo experience.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm really enjoying it so far! I was getting a bit bored during the tutorial section, I thought there was a bug as it wanted me to travel for aaaages to get a single resource. But during that part I bumped into cool things and that's when it hooked me.

The space travel. Good god. It's amazing. I love the 3 speed settings, I love picking a point on the horizon and blasting off for it. I'm still mid-tutorial but I'm just fannying about flying to random planets now.

I love how it makes you feel like you're all just swimming around in a giant ocean, with thousands of others players (probably?) doing there own thing in the same shared universe. It's an awesome feeling.

Edit: I'd like them to keep updating it. It'd be nice that the reason for the high price was they intend to add to it, like Minecraft. I'd like the ability to customise the ships interior (like a motorhome! heh), I'd like to plop buildings and stuff down on planets for others to discover.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I thought I was going to buy this game for sure on launch day but after watching the videos I'm not so sure now. I hate crafting. I thought there would be more of a networked element to the game but it seems like they just made 18 trillion points so you never run out of doing the same thing. I thought people could create worlds that others could explore but it's more of a solo experience.

That's like most games now - I'm testing out Descent Underground and there's crafting there also (not like the original Descent).

I think it has spawned from microtransactions where you had to pay to build your ship/character up.

Developers should just ad a "powerup" non-crafting mode where you just gather items that make you stronger/better and not have to worry about slots or monies or resources.

I'm seeing online that PS4 users were wondering why the trackpad on the controller was not used. Using the stick as a mouse cursor is a bit cumbersome. Because of this people on the fence are going to get the PC version...

EDIT: No final review on IGN.com yet...

Let's see - get a FREE copy, get paid big $$$ as part of your job to play, then post a review...

Interesting to see how they're gonna handle that without looking like Sony shills...

Last edited:

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
lol, if I had an Oculus Rift show up on Monday (did it?), then it would likely take me a while to get to the Tuesday delivery...

It did show up. So far, so good. But the VR roller coasters make me nauseous. However, the sensation is amazing. The tech is impressive. I particularly like the stuff that comes with it. Still need to try a AAA game. Bought Vorpx but I can't seem to get acceptable results in Borderlands 2. Need to fiddle more with settings.

Reactions: blesscheese

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
It did show up. So far, so good. But the VR roller coasters make me nauseous. However, the sensation is amazing. The tech is impressive. I particularly like the stuff that comes with it. Still need to try a AAA game. Bought Vorpx but I can't seem to get acceptable results in Borderlands 2. Need to fiddle more with settings.

Coool! If you get around to fiddling with Dolphin, and Metroid Prime, be sure to let me know about it!

Reactions: Suture

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
After reading more stuff about it, I was convinced that this game surely is not for everyone, but it very likely is for me! :) So I bought it last night, but only had time to fire it up for a few minutes. Walked around a little on the first planet where I need to fix my ship, but didn't really have time to get into the crafting or fixing stuff. Blasted some boulders for iron, then went to bed. :p Looks beautiful from what I have seen though!

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Coool! If you get around to fiddling with Dolphin, and Metroid Prime, be sure to let me know about it!

I most certainly will. Metroid games would be priority for me because I never got to play the Prime series.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've played it for around 4 hours so far and I'm just coming to the end (maybe?) of the tutorial. There are maybe 3 scenes so majestic that I got goosebumps! I've never had that from a game before and this is just during the intro section!

It's really sedating just picking a planet, and walking around. You start to think that maybe nobody else will ever see this particular planet, but the fact that they can (since it's not just randomly generated) just makes it mindblowing. Last night I spend an hour walking in one direction, climbing up mountains and through lakes... then an hour back. I keep unlocking items that I need to build but I'm not going into that just yet, and I like that we have the option to progress at our own pace.

But there's still so much they can do with it. I can't imagine a "No Man's Sky 2", maybe it'll have another name, maybe there won't be another. I just hope it spawns a new sub-genre like Minecraft did and others take it further. (I was thinking it's possible to do a "Minecraft Planets" that works like this game, but since I'm not getting paid by Mojang I'll keep my designs to myself :p)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just read there is a game breaking bug if you avail of the buffed up ship from the pre-order incentive. Essentially it skips you learning how to get a hyper drive engine and later when you upgrade to a new ship without a hyper drive engine you have no means or ability to make one .... essentially you are stranded.

I've just started playing and of course I upgraded my ship straight away, looks like I'm going have to start again before I get too far and find myself fubar'd

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Would you able to get around that bug by looking up online how to create the hyper drive? Is it just the tutorial, or more of a game-won't-allow-it kind of thing?

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I interpreted it as a 'your character doesn't know how to build/do the task' without the tutorial. So even if you know what needs to be done, the game doesn't think you can.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Would you able to get around that bug by looking up online how to create the hyper drive? Is it just the tutorial, or more of a game-won't-allow-it kind of thing?
The game apparently won't allow the building of it after it has been skipped in the tutorial section.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Dang, I didn't realize there's this PC ultimate edition:

http://store.iam8bit.com/products/no-mans-sky-explorers-edition

NMS-BeautyShot-NB_1024x1024.png

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I played for a few hours last night. It's definitely an interesting unique experience. Visited (and named) a handful of planets, named some animals, crafted some things, visited a space station. Haven't travelled to a different system yet, still need that warp cell.

I really enjoyed my time with it last night. I'm not sure how long it will take to get tedious though, once that initial sense of wonder and awe wears off. Land on planet, grind for resources, travel to next planet, rinse, repeat... Sure, all the planets are different, but really, how different are they after a while? Pink grass instead of yellow grass? We'll see. I am hopeful that it will keep me engaged for a long time, because that sense of being very very small and lonely in that endless universe is really impressive. :)

Reactions: AngerDanger

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I went into no mans sky with high expectations. Too high! Yep I'm a victim of the hype, shame on me.

Firstly, I'm have an otherwise game breaking bug with the hyperdrive situation. I've just been making sure to only buy or salvage ships with an existing hyperdrive (you can repair it). I can not build one myself.

Secondly there is no multiplayer MECHANIC. This isn't just "well the universe is huge so it's unlikely you'll find anyone" because that's a lie. That implies there is a possibility. There is no programming to even be able to directly interact with others at all. Although certain videos online say people have found each but couldn't see each other...there is no need to attempt such an difficult task. You merely need to pause the game and watch the entire universe stop. Clearly that can't happen in an actual multiplayer game. That said you can still see others discoveries and renaming....

That alone, kills it for me. The impossible challenge of meeting another player was why I bought the game. Sean Murray mentioned MANY times it was possible just unlikely...again saying there is a chance when clearly there isn't. He also lied through omission to IGN it was 60fps when it's 30fps but I already knew that was very unlikely before purchase.

Third, even though I love crafting type games or games that have a crafting mechanic to them this feels more like a space organizer simulator. On that front it feels like a pointless means to an end. Craft more stuff so you can reach new places to get more slots (better ship, exosuit upgrades) and craft more stuff....rinse and repeat..endlessly...

Fourth, graphics are on par with halo for the original Xbox. Pop in is terrible. I give the game a little leeway here because of how its generating the universe.

Fifth, the planets got boring to me. Every planet is different but not enough to impress me. All are baron with the same buildings and monoliths populating them, over and over and over....

So I'm playing the game, I'm farming for hours on end, collecting supplies to craft and use. Get into space combat, die, and need to recollect all that stuff over again. You have no home/bank (aside from you ship) to store stuff in which can be taken away from you and the goal to reach the center is impossible for a casual player. I'm literally forcing myself to play this game right now to try to get my monies worth. You can find your "grave" and restore you inventory but it's so.....blahhhh....

I would not recommend this game unless you specifically like games like this. Maybe wait for a sale, 30 bucks max.

It's not all bad though. Ambient 80's synth style music is cool at times. It can be fun exploring and learning need languages (but gets old). It's cool how the game works in general. So yeah....still not worth 60 IMO.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've just started playing and of course I upgraded my ship straight away, looks like I'm going have to start again before I get too far and find myself fubar'd
I'm glad I saw this, I just started the game myself.

I think I'll restart and not upgrade my ship

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.