Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Secondly there is no multiplayer MECHANIC. This isn't just "well the universe is huge so it's unlikely you'll find anyone" because that's a lie. That implies there is a possibility. There is no programming to even be able to directly interact with others at all. Although certain videos online say people have found each but couldn't see each other...there is no need to attempt such an difficult task. You merely need to pause the game and watch the entire universe stop. Clearly that can't happen in an actual multiplayer game. That said you can still see others discoveries and renaming....

Yes, it has been well known (even in the NMS Faqs) that the online database is only used for who discovered what planet and when and who is where. THAT'S ALL IT DOES - NOTHING ELSE.

No meeting up with people, no interacting with other players. If you happen to be in the same place, you won't see the other person. THAT'S THE GAME.... :eek:

Now the PC's version is out - people are reviewing it - and it's a DISASTER...

That "procedurally generated" stuff takes A TON of CPU power. So people (I'm actually one) who skimp on the CPU and put the money into a GPU are screwed. Well with the sort of graphics NMS has, it doesn't take much GPU.

People are getting only around 30fps at 1080p (the CPU is busy generating where they are and planet they are on).

People are also starting to get board (not to mention "incomplete physics" when you mine a rock column pieces float in the air) LOL...

WOW, just WOW...

My new gaming PC will barely play it with the cheap A10 AMD APU I'm using...

Sounds like a $10 Steam buy for me.

(gonna post a review of EVERSPACE in the Space Sims thread - I can't begin to tell you how great a game it is... btw, measuring CPU usage with Everspace on my A10 and on a super budget Athlon APU I just built is coming in on only 30% on both as it is heavily using the GPU instead... :) )

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I do wish the game was cheaper, but with my partner really into it too it's kinda halved the price :p

The more I play the more I get excited for the next version of this kind of game. But I'm enjoying it still. I'm not trying to get to the centre of the universe, I'm just flying about having a laugh - but that's how I play Minecraft too (my 'mission' is to just build a long train track heading north. I started that on my 2011 save and it's still going. As with NMS I can foresee myself jumping back in every few months for an intense bunch of sessions before moving on.)

It's pretty broke on the Vita with Remote Play. The mining button is the upper right touchscreen, making it impossible to aim+shoot or mine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So far, I'm enjoying it. Its not perfect, but even so, I'm enjoying it. The distances seems to be getting me, either by walking (and running), or even space travel as I get to the first radio beacon to get the hyperdrive plans. I don't want to spend my time getting to point b from point a. Still, I'm enjoying what it has to offer.

Now that I have the hyperdrive plans, I may redeem my code and upgrade my ship.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I had hyperdrive plans.

But then I couldn't find them, so just went and mined some materials for credits. Then I couldn't find that outpost again just in case I needed to speak to that robot.

Anyhoo, I think I'll just load up on Plutonium to sell, then worry about those hyperdrive plans.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Played another two hours or so last night. Got the antimatter, but still need like 100 Thalium (or something) to craft the warp cell. Can't seem to find it, think I have to go back to my first planet.

Still enjoying my time, it's a beautiful game!

Only gripes: Small inventory gets annoying, and the hostile aliens do as well since shooting sucks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But then I couldn't find them, so just went and mined some materials for credits. Then I couldn't find that outpost again just in case I needed to speak to that robot.
I found in my case, the game gives you what you need, if you struggle with it long enough. I forget what, but I was trying to get something, and it gave me the plans (not the hyperdrive though).

Only gripes: Small inventory gets annoying, and the hostile aliens do as well since shooting sucks.
Yeah, the game isn't perfect, and I do have some gripes as well. Small inventory makes playing the game challanging, the huge distances seem unnecessary. Why should it take 5+ minutes with the main engines to get to the space station or nearby planet. There should be an option to compress time to speed things along. Much of the time with the game seems to be traveling from point a to point b.

I've started over a couple of times, as I messed up and I knew that those poor decisions would continue to haunt me, and so I think having a system of quick saves is really needed. Kind of like Fallout 4. Do a quick save and if you don't like the results restore. As it stands it seems to only hold 2 saves and then you have no choice when it occurs (outposts and/or leaving the ship).

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
the huge distances seem unnecessary. Why should it take 5+ minutes with the main engines to get to the space station or nearby planet. There should be an option to compress time to speed things along. Much of the time with the game seems to be traveling from point a to point b.

Hate to break it to you, but those long pulse jumps are essentially loading screens. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hate to break it to you, but those long pulse jumps are essentially loading screens. ;)
I don't think so, it shouldn't take 5, 10 minutes to sit there getting to the space station, or planet. worse if you just hit the O key while using the thrusters. The same with being on planet, using the ship's thrusters and getting to the abandoned outposts/buildings that seem to frequent the universe.

I can understand the hyperdrive taking time, as its loading a new planetary system, but traveling from point a to b shouldn't be an exercise in patience.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've been playing a lot today. You can if you explore find plenty of exosuit upgrade capsules to get extra slots. You do need them.

I did go exploring one time and it took 45 minutes to get back to my ship....

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I think I need to do that, the first time I played, I was doing that, but in starting over I was getting impatient to upgrade my ship. I think I'll land on a decent planet and start searching. The first planet I started on had a hostile environment and my suit kept using up power, so I'll poke around one that's a bit more suitable for long term jaunts

Reactions: MRU

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Lost yesterday's progress cause I forgot to backup my save file before swapping hard drives. About an hour lost... A good ten words in Alienese I need to relearn. :mad:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I won't have time to play the game today, but now that I have everything to hyperdrive, I'm having trouble finding the path for the Atlas play through. I don't see anything in the galaxy map that shows where I should go for that :(

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Are there planets that are really life size? Is the terrain varied on planets or is it one type of terrain on the whole planet?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I won't have time to play the game today, but now that I have everything to hyperdrive, I'm having trouble finding the path for the Atlas play through. I don't see anything in the galaxy map that shows where I should go for that :(

Just keep exploring. A monolith/ruin will show you the way.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just keep exploring. A monolith/ruin will show you the way.
Thanks,
I've run into Monoliths but nothing directing me regarding the atlas play through. I keep at it though

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks,
I've unto Monoliths but nothing directing me regarding the atlas play through. I keep at it though

Hmm now that I think about it I'm not sure it was a monolith or not. I was just playing along and something indicated to me that there was an Atlas station I should goto. It just kind of happened.

Edit : I can say for certain it was before I used my first warp because my first warp was warping to the atlas station.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I should goto. It just kind of happened.
That makes sense because I had some plans drop into my lap, and I didn't visit anything, I was poking around a planet getting resources and not able to visit the place where I was supposed to get those plans

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I landed on a floating platform by accident, then later accidentally jumped off it and had to learn so much so fast! Like, how to summon your ship to an outpost. Those are the moments I love. My list of desires for the game now are just a bunch of exploration tools, like some kind of jetpack/glider wing thing, channel a bit of Pilotwings or something! An underwater exploration vehicle, a mining vehicle to get deep underground. That'd be neat.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I landed on a floating platform by accident, then later accidentally jumped off it and had to learn so much so fast! Like, how to summon your ship to an outpost. Those are the moments I love. My list of desires for the game now are just a bunch of exploration tools, like some kind of jetpack/glider wing thing, channel a bit of Pilotwings or something! An underwater exploration vehicle, a mining vehicle to get deep underground. That'd be neat.

Looking at the many reviews online, NMS is more SURVIVAL than EXPLORATION. I have a couple of underwater exploration games and I like those. NMS has a lot of survival tasks you have to do to stay alive. That is the major gripe as you have to constantly worry about surviving over exploring.

The PC version is a fiasco right now, which is the one I would be getting...

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Looking at the many reviews online, NMS is more SURVIVAL than EXPLORATION. I have a couple of underwater exploration games and I like those. NMS has a lot of survival tasks you have to do to stay alive. That is the major gripe as you have to constantly worry about surviving over exploring.

The PC version is a fiasco right now, which is the one I would be getting...

Sounds like the long dark. I bought it early and was really excited for it but it ended up being more survival than exploration and I got bored of it. It's a fine line between too much survival and being able to immerse yourself in the game. Still on the fence if I should buy NMS.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Sounds like the long dark. I bought it early and was really excited for it but it ended up being more survival than exploration and I got bored of it. It's a fine line between too much survival and being able to immerse yourself in the game. Still on the fence if I should buy NMS.

It has begun... :eek:

Used PS4 copies at Gamestop - $48 if you are a Pro Member and you can return it for a full refund if you don't like it within 7 days - the way to go at this point.

I don't have my PS4 anymore.

I don't think I'll ever have a powerful enough PC to run it (since it relies heavily on CPU). By the time I get a PS4 ($200 new), NMS will be around $10... :)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm definitely enjoying the game. It took me three days to launch from the planet I started on because I was just exploring and learning the words to the Kovax language...I already learnt over 200 words in a span of three planets and now I could understand exactly what they want and answer the questions correctly. The first planet I was on was beautiful with plant life and animals, the second was scotched and I needed a suit mod to make it during the day(no animals and minimal plant life). The third planet was the furthest from the sun and was the coldest(needed a mod from the temperature drop at night) and also the weirdest.

The third planet was filled with the scariest animals I've ever seen, it had flying whales/stingray and giant dog/deer/snails....seriously this planet scare the crap out of me but it was enriched with minerals. I just brought a spacecraft with more slots/mods and a better omni tool/weapon.

I'm digging it.

Bless

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Man, this game is really divisive. Some reviews and comments are just tearing it apart, others love the hell out of it.

I have really enjoyed what I have played so far. I have little time for gaming these days, and I am really looking forward to my next chance to dive into it and discover new planets. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was just playing along and something indicated to me that there was an Atlas station
Yup, patience is key I guess, because I'm now have the ability to make an atlas pass.

Man, this game is really divisive. Some reviews and comments are just tearing it apart, others love the hell out of it.
I noticed, Ars was very hard on the game. Some of its criticisms are on point however. They mentioned the lack of inventory, lack of information regarding resources and the relative value, i.e., the reviewer held on to some rare items thinking they'll be needed for newer technology but were never needed (at least up to the point that he played the game). I think this is a great expansive game but has some issues that should be addressed.
  • Space combat - simplify the process or help with a targeting computer. I largely run away when hostiles show up, just because I'm outnumbered and there's not much else I can do but destroy one ship.
  • Fast travel, or time compression - some way to help improve the time.
  • Inventory - make it easier to expand your exosuit. I've been to many worlds, and in a number of cases spent hours walking or low flying looking and I've only improved my exosuit a couple of times.

I have really enjoyed what I have played so far.
Same here, I played with it last night for a few hours without even realizing that I spent so much time. Its a good game and I have no regrets at pre-ordering the game.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005

This makes me laugh uncontrollably!!! :D
[doublepost=1471422221][/doublepost]I played a good hour last night, caught up with my lost progress from the weekend. Got a bigger Omnitool, which is pretty badass. Found a crashed spaceship too, but it actually had fewer inventory slots than my current one.

I am now ready for my first hyper jump. Will visit the prettier planets I discovered one more time before I go, so I can take some screenshots, as I will likely never return once I leave the system. :)

Reactions: MRU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.