Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Every update makes this game buggier for me. Now on 1.05 instead of crashing it freezes for 30-60 seconds then crashes. I hardly had any trouble on 1.03.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Every update makes this game buggier for me. Now on 1.05 instead of crashing it freezes for 30-60 seconds then crashes. I hardly had any trouble on 1.03.
I'm hesitant to apply the update. I'm in mid game and the last time it did that, the game closed, and once I reopned it, I was at the last save point. For me that meant a fair amount of progress as lost.

I'm enjoying the game, but its not perfect, and one thing that does bug me, is the lack of quick saving. I'll be a bit slower in updating the game as well, based on what you posted.

As the other member asked, what your playing on PS4, PC?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
For PS4 or PC are you experiencing issues?

I'm hesitant to apply the update. I'm in mid game and the last time it did that, the game closed, and once I reopned it, I was at the last save point. For me that meant a fair amount of progress as lost.

I'm enjoying the game, but its not perfect, and one thing that does bug me, is the lack of quick saving. I'll be a bit slower in updating the game as well, based on what you posted.

As the other member asked, what your playing on PS4, PC?

PS4

When the game crashes its typically not been too much of a loss for me. I have been on a planet so I haven't typically been far from a save point, 2 to 3 minutes tops.

It does illustrate how this game could never contain real multiplayer elements in its current form. When it reloads nothing has changed, animals are exactly where they were, day/night cycle is the same as it was (hasn't progressed), NPC dialog and the answers to their questions are exactly the same (strange for procedural...), etc etc. Everything in the universe reverts.

After spoiling the ending for myself via youtube I'm not excited to reach the center. It seems rather pointless to even attempt it.

However on the planet I'm currently on I've found 90% of the animals so I've made it a mini goal to find the other one and collect the 250k units.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When the game crashes its typically not been too much of a loss for me. I have been on a planet so I haven't typically been far from a save point, 2 to 3 minutes tops.
I actually had the PS4 version crash on me. It was just at a point of saving and my entire PS4 came to a grinding halt. That was a first for me both for the game and system. I've not restarted it, to see where I left off.

I'm not excited to reach the center. It seems rather pointless to even attempt it.
Yeah, that's my feeling as I play, the game is more about exploration and less achieving the end result. Conversely, in Fallout 4, where is fairly open ended, you have a specific quest that you achieve and the ending is not pointless. It really gave the game meaning, where as No Man's Sky is not about reaching the end but going from system to system it seems.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I've hyper warped to several Atlas stations now and typically visit all the planets in a system, spending more time at the nicer planets than the harsh one. I've yet to get the recipe for an Atlas Pass yet, these Atlas Stones are filling my inventory slots up. I just don't get it.

Like any Space Game, you need a bigger ship... ;)

You sell them, they're way to generate a quick amount of cash.

Don't. Without spoiling anything you'll need 10 of them to do something eventually.

I KNEW IT!

I haven't even played this game, but played enough space games to know... ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Don't sell off something that seems insignificant/unimportant in this type of game...
Nope, but that's what google is for, so I googled what those were used for and the answer came back as a nice way to build up one's cash reserve.

Reactions: 44267547

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Regardless of what you do with them its all pointless. Maybe thats the philosophical idea behind this game? Life is pointless, do what you want because in the end it doesn't matter. Lol

At one time I thought I loved crafting type games even with strict inventory management. No Mans Sky has shown me that I don't like crafting games, I like crafting IN games.

ESO or Fallout 4 for example. There was a purpose of crafting. The more you do it the better you get at it and the better equipment you can craft....for the purpose of fighting bigger and badder enemies. Inventory management was a necessary evil but can you a nice break from the action and a chance to regroup.

To me No Man Sky lacks that. You craft things for the purpose of being able to craft more things so you can craft more things. Inventory management is too intrusive, its too much part of the game rather then something that is going on in the background that I need to micro manage.

For example. I recently found a new ship, it had 1 more slot then my current ship. So I swapped into it. Now obviously since I found this ship it was a wreck so I had to fix it up. I've spent 4-5 hours getting it all fixed up. The main hold up was the Warp Reactor Sigma (so I can skip star systems), I just couldnt find or buy enough copper in my current star system. So I had to warp to the next one, finally get enough copper but now I need a warp core.

Point is and to put it in perspective, I spent 4-5 hours for 1 ship inventory slot. Now I'm looking for material to make a warp core and I find another ship with 1 extra inventory slot. What do I do?! I probably have enough material right now that it wouldn't be a problem but I feel like I need to go, I'm getting bored doing the something over and over again.

For those starting the game, do yourself a favor and don't fill your Hyperdrive with warp cores. Keep them in your inventory unless you absolutely need the inventory space and there is nothing you can do about it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Regardless of what you do with them its all pointless. Maybe thats the philosophical idea behind this game? Life is pointless, do what you want because in the end it doesn't matter. Lol

At one time I thought I loved crafting type games even with strict inventory management. No Mans Sky has shown me that I don't like crafting games, I like crafting IN games.

ESO or Fallout 4 for example. There was a purpose of crafting. The more you do it the better you get at it and the better equipment you can craft....for the purpose of fighting bigger and badder enemies. Inventory management was a necessary evil but can you a nice break from the action and a chance to regroup.

To me No Man Sky lacks that. You craft things for the purpose of being able to craft more things so you can craft more things. Inventory management is too intrusive, its too much part of the game rather then something that is going on in the background that I need to micro manage.

Plus I hear there's the survival aspect amidst all this crafting, both of which you have to do in order to play.

BTW: I was at my favorite Gamestop and, wait for it, multiple used copies are starting to show up. Good for those who want to buy and have the option of returning it for a full refund in 7 days.

I found this guys review to be hysterical (he "role plays" while playing games... :eek:):

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Plus I hear there's the survival aspect amidst all this crafting, both of which you have to do in order to play.

BTW: I was at my favorite Gamestop and, wait for it, multiple used copies are starting to show up. Good for those who want to buy and have the option of returning it for a full refund in 7 days.

I found this guys review to be hysterical (he "role plays" while playing games... :eek:):

That's another thing...survival. First off the sentries are weak AF. I immediately souped up my ship and multi tool expecting a challenge, they aren't. If I'm harvesting venom sacs I'll just ignore them and let them shoot me, I'll fill my inventory before they can kill me. They are dumb, the flying type always get caught on the building. Or you can just go inside a building or fly off in your ship and they will deactivate. I've never once thought "oh no I gotta get out of here!" (Think the first time you ran into a deathclaw in fallout). Space battle, just get the deflector upgrade, rapid fire and damage boost and you are unstoppable (admittedly without those the battles are tough).

Secondly, the environments. If it's too harsh, just goto a different world that isn't as bad. You COULD craft the exosuit upgrade to explorer the (?) at the bottom of the sea OR you could just ignore it because it's nothing different down there then that's on the surface (I've checked).

The problem with the survival aspects is the game doesn't add a reason for you to endure them.

So all that's left after the monotonous crafting and lack of real survival is the exploration which has its faults too. First off all the worlds are procedurally similar and relatively boring. Secondly "You are the first to discover new worlds!!", ya if you ignore the sentries and other aliens that are already on them. And yes, every single planet you goto will have other aliens hanging about that will literally fart on you (Gek) given the chance.

I sound like I hate the game. I don't, I even find something mildly addicting about it. I keep coming back to it, I'm not sure if I'm trying to get my money out of it or if there is just something I enjoy about. I also think this game has a specific type of person that would really enjoy it. I can also see a lot of people that just want to relax, 420 blaze and just zip around the Galaxy, seems like that type of game.

Btw I love Joes angry reviews. Some of them crack me up, I knew he'd be doing one for NMS.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's another thing...survival. First off the sentries are weak AF. I immediately souped up my ship and multi tool expecting a challenge, they aren't. If I'm harvesting venom sacs I'll just ignore them and let them shoot me, I'll fill my inventory before they can kill me. They are dumb, the flying type always get caught on the building. Or you can just go inside a building or fly off in your ship and they will deactivate. I've never once thought "oh no I gotta get out of here!" (Think the first time you ran into a deathclaw in fallout). Space battle, just get the deflector upgrade, rapid fire and damage boost and you are unstoppable (admittedly without those the battles are tough).

Secondly, the environments. If it's too harsh, just goto a different world that isn't as bad. You COULD craft the exosuit upgrade to explorer the (?) at the bottom of the sea OR you could just ignore it because it's nothing different down there then that's on the surface (I've checked).

The problem with the survival aspects is the game doesn't add a reason for you to endure them.

So all that's left after the monotonous crafting and lack of real survival is the exploration which has its faults too. First off all the worlds are procedurally similar and relatively boring. Secondly "You are the first to discover new worlds!!", ya if you ignore the sentries and other aliens that are already on them. And yes, every single planet you goto will have other aliens hanging about that will literally fart on you (Gek) given the chance.

I sound like I hate the game. I don't, I even find something mildly addicting about it. I keep coming back to it, I'm not sure if I'm trying to get my money out of it or if there is just something I enjoy about. I also think this game has a specific type of person that would really enjoy it. I can also see a lot of people that just want to relax, 420 blaze and just zip around the Galaxy, seems like that type of game.

Btw I love Joes angry reviews. Some of them crack me up, I knew he'd be doing one for NMS.

I have yet to unwrap this game. I've really been looking forward to playing this game when I have the time. Some of the reviews are absolutely amazing and in-depth on the overall breadth of the game. Other reviews are absolutely atrocious and trashing the game to the point where they're saying the game should've never been created.

I remain open minded and will use my own judgment to determine if I appreciate the game when I do play. I have heard that there's been a few crashes on the PS4, with the current update. Some have experienced issues, others have not.

You mentioned the game is mildly addicting, can you elaborate on what are your favorite things about the game and/or most intriguing playable factors? Most of the individuals who I talk to you, say this game is relaxing, sit back and enjoy the ride type of game. Which I'm fine with that, I don't need to have the latest active first person shooter or sports game. I appreciate open world/sandbox type of worlds in games.

I heard they have a very fitting soundtrack for the game and most of said the game is exactly what you make of it. Thanks for your feedback.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One thing I noticed is that if you're looking to upgrade your ship, it will be differ depending on what part of space you're in. I found that when I upgraded mine I was in Gek space, and those ships were more about cargo and had less armament. I'm in a star system now and Vy'keen have some cooler designs and they seem more armed - out of the box so to speak.

I've upgraded my ship and its armament is decent, but its something I just noticed.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I have yet to unwrap this game. I've really been looking forward to playing this game when I have the time. Some of the reviews are absolutely amazing and in-depth on the overall breadth of the game. Other reviews are absolutely atrocious and trashing the game to the point where they're saying the game should've never been created..

I don't know where you are at, but Gamestop has used copies now and you can take used copies back within 7 days for a full refund. If you are able, return yours and get a used copy to try.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't know where you are at, but Gamestop has used copies now and you can take used copies back within 7 days for a full refund. If you are able, return yours and get a used copy to try.

I actually checked with two of my local GameStops, only one had a copy for $52.49, not much of a savings after tax. Personally, GameStop is over priced. I usually purchase used games off eBay and have had great experiences every time, with the game being well under priced.

I will keep it for now, again I have not had the opportunity to play it yet. But I am fully prepared in what to expect. Most who know about this game and what to expect, seem relatively pleased. I'm open minded and look forward to playing it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have yet to unwrap this game. I've really been looking forward to playing this game when I have the time. Some of the reviews are absolutely amazing and in-depth on the overall breadth of the game. Other reviews are absolutely atrocious and trashing the game to the point where they're saying the game should've never been created.

I remain open minded and will use my own judgment to determine if I appreciate the game when I do play. I have heard that there's been a few crashes on the PS4, with the current update. Some have experienced issues, others have not.

You mentioned the game is mildly addicting, can you elaborate on what are your favorite things about the game and/or most intriguing playable factors? Most of the individuals who I talk to you, say this game is relaxing, sit back and enjoy the ride type of game. Which I'm fine with that, I don't need to have the latest active first person shooter or sports game. I appreciate open world/sandbox type of worlds in games.

I heard they have a very fitting soundtrack for the game and most of said the game is exactly what you make of it. Thanks for your feedback.

Soundtrack is good. At certain times I think it's just awesome.

The addicting part for me is I just want to progress. I'm curious about following the Atlas Path and maybe finding a world that is very reminiscent of a lush Earth.

I think if this was a PSN only 30 dollar title that didn't have much hype behind it it would have been a homerun. Or at the very least not have had Sean Murray talking it up so much.

I'd like to see some major updates. Paid DLC is fine only if it wasn't something that was supposed to be in the game to begin with.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Or at the very least not have had Sean Murray talking it up so much.
That's the thing, I avoided all that, I did not follow any of that, and so for me the game isn't a disappointment. I'm happy with it, but I can understand based on the early reports of what would have, and not showing, up - that could be a bummer for some.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's the thing, I avoided all that, I did not follow any of that, and so for me the game isn't a disappointment. I'm happy with it, but I can understand based on the early reports of what would have, and not showing, up - that could be a bummer for some.

Excellent point. Sometimes reviews reflect everyone else's concerns over a game and influence the gamer before the game even releases. I stay open minded and have not had the opportunity to play No Mans Sky yet, but soon. But I don't let everyone else's opinions influence my consensus on the game.

When Uncharted 4 released back in May for the PS4 (Amazing game by the way), I completely ignored any gaming websites, Google and Yahoo from spoiling the ending, which quickly went viral. I am glad I did, which enjoyed the game.

By the way, if you haven't, consider playing the Uncharted Collection, concluding with 'A Thief's End.' Highly recommend with an immersive story, excellent gameplay, and great voice acting, coupled with great graphics (Which progress in every game for the remastered version). Every game gets better by the way.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
By the way, if you haven't, consider playing the Uncharted Collection
Yeah, I heard good things about that franchise. I may take the plunge on it soon, but first I'm waiting for Battlefield 1. Like No Man's Sky, I'm avoiding much of the chatter on this, though the concept is intriguing I don't recall seeing a FPS based on WWI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.