Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah, I heard good things about that franchise. I may take the plunge on it soon, but first I'm waiting for Battlefield 1. Like No Man's Sky, I'm avoiding much of the chatter on this, though the concept is intriguing I don't recall seeing a FPS based on WWI

Battlefield 1 might be one of the biggest releases in the last decade for first person shooters. I remember when the trailer was released on YouTube. I think it had 20 Million Views in under two days. Crazy. I can only imagine the Preorder frenzy and game day launch for this one.

Fall is like Christmas for me, new video game releases and Apple products. A very expensive Fall that is.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Battlefield 1 might be one of the biggest releases in the last decade for first person shooters.
There you go trying to raise my expectations out of what they should be ;)

Back on No Man's Sky,
I wished the galaxy map controls were a little more fleshed out. It seems the design of the game is to keep moving forward, it seems hard to re-locate a system you already visited to return [with a larger ship] and mine for resources with the expanded inventory.

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
If I fill up my exosuit and ship (about 27 units), I pull in about 700,000 units. The downside is I have to find a cave entrance wonder around to collect them and find an exit - some caves seem to go on forever. I'll probably play more of this tonight. My goal is to procure a large 4million dollar ship (maybe even larger) I'm halfway there and I only need a few more trips to make up the next 2 million dollars.

If you're ever stuck in a cave again. I just walked up to a wall and started lobbing grenades at the wall on an upward angle. Kept recharging multitool until i saw light. Probably not the intent of the tool but saved walking around for hours.

Also it's a slow burn but you can buy stuff from traders in the space station and turn them around for profit at the trade terminal in the same station (look for items with stars). Maybe an exploit but with some inventory slots and patience i was able to buy a bunch of dynamic resonators for 30k and sell for over 50k. back and forth for 30 minutes made me 500,000 units. Best pay day though was finding columns of gold on a planet that were worth about 800,000 each but took about 20 minutes to mine.
[doublepost=1472157749][/doublepost]
I've hyper warped to several Atlas stations now and typically visit all the planets in a system, spending more time at the nicer planets than the harsh one. I've yet to get the recipe for an Atlas Pass yet, these Atlas Stones are filling my inventory slots up. I just don't get it.

I got an Atlas Pass V1 recipe from the Gek scientist in the atlas station after interacting with him in my first visit to one. Try that on your next visit?

Reactions: maflynn

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you're ever stuck in a cave again. I just walked up to a wall and started lobbing grenades at the wall on an upward angle. Kept recharging multitool until i saw light. Probably not the intent of the tool but saved walking around for hours.

Also it's a slow burn but you can buy stuff from traders in the space station and turn them around for profit at the trade terminal in the same station (look for items with stars). Maybe an exploit but with some inventory slots and patience i was able to buy a bunch of dynamic resonators for 30k and sell for over 50k. back and forth for 30 minutes made me 500,000 units. Best pay day though was finding columns of gold on a planet that were worth about 800,000 each but took about 20 minutes to mine.
[doublepost=1472157749][/doublepost]

I got an Atlas Pass V1 recipe from the Gek scientist in the atlas station after interacting with him in my first visit to one. Try that on your next visit?

I figured it out. I got it from an anomaly station thing. I was warping from Atlas Station to Atlas Station...on my first warp to a star system without an Atlas Station I found an anomaly station thing (I can't remember what it was call, looked like a mini partially destroyed Death Star) and the Gek gave me the recipe.

I had the priest onboard give me coordinates to a black hole.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're ever stuck in a cave again.

Good advice thanks, that helped me a lot, no more wasting my time looking for a way out.

Its funny, but from a laid back perspective this is an enjoyable game. Do I wish there were more meat on the bones (story line), sure. I was thinking this was kind of like Fallout 4 where you had a number of quests that you could do but also go your own way. It looks like its all go your own way, but in a relaxed sort of way that's fine.

I was playing this last night and before I knew it, I spent 3 hours, and it was enjoyable :)

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Good advice thanks, that helped me a lot, no more wasting my time looking for a way out.

Its funny, but from a laid back perspective this is an enjoyable game. Do I wish there were more meat on the bones (story line), sure. I was thinking this was kind of like Fallout 4 where you had a number of quests that you could do but also go your own way. It looks like its all go your own way, but in a relaxed sort of way that's fine.

I was playing this last night and before I knew it, I spent 3 hours, and it was enjoyable :)

I was just about to ask you on your thoughts regarding the game, being your heavily invested into it. Seems your enjoying it. I hope to start playing it this weekend. The negative reviews are overwhelming, but the positive reviews seem to be coming from more mature gamers, that truly show an appreciation for the game and its content.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Damn, miss him... Lol

image.jpeg

He found a star system I discovered and followed them to my last location but I had already logged off.

scampi

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Hi

I saw it for pc on GOG for $30 bought it straight out.

I'm running it on boot camp on a 2013 full spec iMac. High settings apart from shadows and I'm using full resolution. The frame rates are above 30 most of the time which for this kind of slow paced game is fine.

So far I've put about 8 hours into the game I'm not planning on changing my system yet although I've got the blueprints for my hyperdrive and most of the things I need for it. I'm going to check out all the planets in my system before I move on.

For 30$(approx £22) for me it's very good value I think I will get my money's worth this week.
Generally I'm a casual player so taking my time and enjoying my experience is more important for me.
For the money I paid I would recommend it but for full price on release day I wouldn't.

Also I haven't had a single crash I don't understand the problems people are having with the pc version.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also I haven't had a single crash I don't understand the problems people are having with the pc version.
It's not just the PC, I updated to the latest version, 1.05 I think, and its less stable then 1.04. On my PS4, its crashed a couple of times. Luckily, when it did crash I was fairly close to a save point and didn't lose too much progress.

I still don't understand why the game authors didn't include a quick save option.

scampi

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
"I still don't understand why the game authors didn't include a quick save option."

That's true

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just unwrapped the game for the first time last night. So far, so good. I have a long way to go. However, Sean Murray, the lead developer for Hello Games is under a lot of heat right now. I have been a gamer for as long as I can remember, but I have never seen the hatred gamers have expressed towards this game. Murrary interviewed on the Colbert Show, indicating features which were never available to the gamer allegedly.

For example, Amazon apparently is refunding For those who preordered the game due to all the blatant promises made by Sean Murray, which were non-existent. At least this is what another reviewer wrote.

In any case, sounds like Hello Games may be facing defamation law suits, that's how from bad to worse this is turning out for the developer.

I am enjoying the game so far.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Just unwrapped the game for the first time last night. So far, so good. I have a long way to go. However, Sean Murray, the lead developer for Hello Games is under a lot of heat right now. I have been a gamer for as long as I can remember, but I have never seen the hatred gamers have expressed towards this game. Murrary interviewed on the Colbert Show, indicating features which were never available to the gamer allegedly.

For example, Amazon apparently is refunding For those who preordered the game due to all the blatant promises made by Sean Murray, which were non-existent. At least this is what another reviewer wrote.

In any case, sounds like Hello Games may be facing defamation law suits, that's how from bad to worse this is turning out for the developer.

I am enjoying the game so far.

I was on the hate train for a while....but I played devils advocate with myself (hmm does that make me a lunatic?).

What IF the game was supposed to have those features and then toward the end they realized they just can't accomplish the goals they promised?

My only evidence for this is the collectors box which actually had multiplayer printed on it to later be covered with a single player sticker.

No-Mans-Sky-Label.jpg

It seems very odd to me that if the game was never intended to contain real multiplayer elements from the start why was the original box designed and printed with a multiplayer logo on it?

This is just a crazy theory I came up with in an attempt to explain what is otherwise just straight lying. I mean he knew when the game dropped he be called out.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was on the hate train for a while....but I played devils advocate with myself (hmm does that make me a lunatic?).

What IF the game was supposed to have those features and then toward the end they realized they just can't accomplish the goals they promised?

My only evidence for this is the collectors box which actually had multiplayer printed on it to later be covered with a single player sticker.

View attachment 647198

It seems very odd to me that if the game was never intended to contain real multiplayer elements from the start why was the original box designed and printed with a multiplayer logo on it?

This is just a crazy theory I came up with in an attempt to explain what is otherwise just straight lying. I mean he knew when the game dropped he be called out.

Wow. Even a sticker to cover it up. I really do think this game is for a more Mature gamer. I personally do not need the mutiplayer option, but some would appreciate it.

As small of a detail as this is, when I opened the game, I was shocked to not even see a paper insert inside the game case. Not a huge deal, but usually there is some sort of type of literature inside the game case. This must have been a tight budgeted game, however; to charge $60 for a independent game, only added fuel to those who are outraged by the game.

In any case, the damage is already done. And if Hello Games and Sean Murray plan on releasing any future title releases, let's just say I don't think he will have a large fan base.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Gamers really are a whiny miserable bunch. The sense of entitlement you see in that community is unparalleled.

I'm sure Sean Murray made the best game that he could and worked very hard to try and realize all his ideas and visions. Does the result not meet your expectations? Well, don't freaking buy it. When the game launched, there already was so much information available about what the final game actually does and doesn't do. All the hate and threats to Sean Murray are just ridiculous.

That said, so far the only thing that bothers me a little is the number of NPC's on supposedly "undiscovered" planets. It's hard to feel like you're exploring a new uncharted planet, a world where no one has ever been before, when you run into cookie cutter space stations with scientists every mile or two. They should have left the aliens off planet, in space stations and such.

Reactions: MRU

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Gamers really are a whiny miserable bunch. The sense of entitlement you see in that community is unparalleled.
I think you're right. I was on a bethesda/fallout 4 forum and the amount of complaining and whining was surprising. This was Bethesda's best game and highest selling, and people were complaining about the most minor inconvenience or change from fallout 3

Reactions: MRU

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I'm sure Sean Murray made the best game that he could and worked very hard to try and realize all his ideas and visions. Does the result not meet your expectations? Well, don't freaking buy it. When the game launched, there already was so much information available about what the final game actually does and doesn't do. All the hate and threats to Sean Murray are just ridiculous.

That said, so far the only thing that bothers me a little is the number of NPC's on supposedly "undiscovered" planets. It's hard to feel like you're exploring a new uncharted planet, a world where no one has ever been before, when you run into cookie cutter space stations with scientists every mile or two. They should have left the aliens off planet, in space stations and such.

That's the point and problem. I like many others pre ordered it under the guise of what the dev said.

image.jpeg

Which of course was non fundable.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is there no way to cancel preorders?

Not in the US, it says "unless required by local law" I haven't investigated any further. Given enough time you could probably beg and plead for a refund? I'm referring to the PS4, steam allows it up to 2 hours of game play. In that case I would have utilized it.

But there weren't any real reviews explaining what the game was actually like until after it was out. So I didn't know that I should cancel the preorder even if it was allowed. Early adopter problems I guess.

I don't hate the game and I'm not in a position where it financially effects me. So I don't care personally. However I can understand why it would catch so much flack.

Reactions: Taustin Powers

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Not really.

You get what you pay for - supposedly.

In this case, the gaming community was "swindled".

They paid for a Halo/Mass Effect type of game, and got an indie/budget title... :eek:

That's why the hate.

I hear haters say it is a great game - for $20 to $30....

Funny, there's the Collector's version is available now everywhere (like Sony held them back to increase the hype).

The Gamestops I've been at all have 5+ used copies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
You know, I follow news in the gaming world quite actively, and not once did I see anything indicating this would even remotely resemble games like Mass Effect or Halo. If that's what people were expecting, they've got no one to blame but themselves.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
You know, I follow news in the gaming world quite actively, and not once did I see anything indicating this would even remotely resemble games like Mass Effect or Halo. If that's what people were expecting, they've got no one to blame but themselves.

It's not the "type" of game, but more the "quality level" - a game that is well tested, many modes for different types of play and players, fun, complex, beautiful, diverse levels.

On the other hand, "Budget" titles offer limited levels, graphics, re-play-ability, limited number of modes (single player campaigns, multiplayer).

People got far from that with NMS (both PS4 and PC). It is worth $30 retail.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

But that's not the whole issue at hand. I read hundreds of reviews before spending my $60.00 on this game. The majority of the complaints were the promised multiplayer, which Murray promised on launch day from various interviews. So where is the multiplayer?

Now, I personally could care less about the multiplayer aspect. But the other thousands of gamers who did expect this upon purchasing, are not satisfied. Even if Murray intended for the multiplayer at a later update, he should have been more specific.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Oh wow, well if YOU didnt hear that then it must be true... Lol I'm kidding of course.

But seriously, many times Sean Murray said, although unlikely you can run into other players, other players arent labeled so who you think is an NPC could actually be another player, multiplayer similar to journey, even went as far as telling Stephen Colbert the only way to see the character model was to look at another player.

Even little stuff like day night cycles were from planetary rotation. You can land on asteroids. Different ships fly and handle differently. You can hack locked doors. There are factions with meaningful differences you can ally with. Etc etc...

Personally I didn't feel it would be anything like Mass Effect but it has Halo 1 graphics so that's not too far from the mark. You are right though, I do blame myself I took the words of the spokesman/lead dev at face value and preordered the game when I should have waited for user reviews. That is a mistake I won't make again...well except Skyrim Special Edition...I've already preordered that lol.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not really.

You get what you pay for - supposedly.

In this case, the gaming community was "swindled".

They paid for a Halo/Mass Effect type of game, and got an indie/budget title... :eek:

That's why the hate.

I hear haters say it is a great game - for $20 to $30....

Funny, there's the Collector's version is available now everywhere (like Sony held them back to increase the hype).

The Gamestops I've been at all have 5+ used copies.

Even brand new copies of the game are not selling for $30.00 new.

I said it a few times before, this game really is intended for more Of a mature gamer. It's not a
First person shooter per se or a action packed adrenaline rush. It's a game where it will take you where you so choose.

I do feel if Hello Games/Murrary can provide some significant updates, it may save some damage control for them.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.