Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
What's more compelling for you, the PS4 Pro or Slim?

Well, after building a gaming PC just recently, I found out how important it is to Future-Proof (getting a larger power supply, a better GPU card, a case that fits a larger GPU card, more RAM, etc.).

Paying an extra $100 for a more advanced PS4 Pro may be worth it.

The wait and headache to get one? :eek:

Maybe not...

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well, after building a gaming PC just recently, I found out how important it is to Future-Proof (getting a larger power supply, a better GPU card, a case that fits a larger GPU card, more RAM, etc.).

Paying an extra $100 for a more advanced PS4 Pro may be worth it.

The wait and headache to get one? :eek:

Maybe not...
Agreed. It's worth the extra even if gaming in 1080p as you will get the improved graphics features some games will offer and of course more stable framerates ... €100 extra over 3-4 years of console isn't much for the potential benefits it gives.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just applied the latest update 1.08 for the PS4, I hope this fixes some bugs, because the prior release was very unstable. The game crashed too many times for my liking. I had't had this level of instability in the game until the 1.07 patch

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just applied the latest update 1.08 for the PS4, I hope this fixes some bugs, because the prior release was very unstable. The game crashed too many times for my liking. I had't had this level of instability in the game until the 1.07 patch

I downloaded 1.08 last week and had zero issues. I did notice when hovering over planets, the picture will come in grainy like, when pushing further into the planet. Hopefully this will be resolved eventually.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hello Games just released a major patch for No Mans Sky. Version 1.09. They rectified at least 30 different patches/issues. I have to apply the update.
I've been away on a business trip, but today, I fired up my PS4, after a while, I noticed the notification that told me the game was updated to 1.09. I've not played in a while, so I'll be looking to pick it back up

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I finally picked this game back up, after playing a few others and one thing I noticed between this game and Fallout 4, is the walking speed. I came off a fresh round of playing FO4 and No Man's Sky felt sluggish as I walked to any given place on a planet. The running felt slower as well. Its like I'm not getting the same feeling of progress. I spent a few hours in the game and it was nice to pick it back up.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I finally picked this game back up, after playing a few others and one thing I noticed between this game and Fallout 4, is the walking speed. I came off a fresh round of playing FO4 and No Man's Sky felt sluggish as I walked to any given place on a planet. The running felt slower as well. Its like I'm not getting the same feeling of progress. I spent a few hours in the game and it was nice to pick it back up.

What do these games have to do with eachother?

Plus, remember, NMS has to do Procedural Generation so, yes, the walking around will be slower...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I have owned both Fall Out 4 and No Mans Sky. Fall Out does progress quicker with walking/running, where as No Mans Sky is clocked slightly slower. The latest update for No Mans Sky was desperately needed and it resolved a lot of technical issues.

Reactions: maflynn

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

The walking/running speed in NMS is insufferable. You have to do that jump launch boost thing to get around.

If you have PSN you can get Everyone's gone to the Rapture for free (limited time). I've heard mixed reviews that were mostly negative. Figured I would try it myself. Game looks beautiful however I could only play for 3-5 minutes due to the walking speed being so insanely slow. I had to shut it off because I was getting so impatient I felt I was wasting my own time. I'll try it again on a weekend.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The walking/running speed in NMS is insufferable. You have to do that jump launch boost thing to get around.

If you have PSN you can get Everyone's gone to the Rapture for free (limited time). I've heard mixed reviews that were mostly negative. Figured I would try it myself. Game looks beautiful however I could only play for 3-5 minutes due to the walking speed being so insanely slow. I had to shut it off because I was getting so impatient I felt I was wasting my own time. I'll try it again on a weekend.
Aw, I loved Rapture! Really soaked up the atmosphere in that. You can build up to a fast walk by holding down L1, or maybe its R1.
(would love a VR version!)

Reactions: Taustin Powers

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Curious to see how No Mans Sky plays on the Pro. I'm hoping it clears up some of the grainy images and lag. The new software patch fixed a lot of issues that plagued it from the beginning.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Curious to see how No Mans Sky plays on the Pro. I'm hoping it clears up some of the grainy images and lag. The new software patch fixed a lot of issues that plagued it from the beginning.

According the the unboxing/review videos of the PS4 Pro - it doesn't do anything for existing games (unlike the XBox One S - slightly higher clocks get you slightly better performance on existing games).

The devs will need to provide a patch for the Pro, like all other existing games...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

It should be indistinguishable from the normal PS4 unless the devs patch it.

I highly doubt they will patch it for the PS4 Pro. They need to address the game as a whole for all players. An update for just PS4 Pro would make it look like more of a cash grab.

I also don't think the PC version is much better for them to "easily" implement any of its features.

That game is a lost cause for people like me.
[doublepost=1478801427][/doublepost]
Aw, I loved Rapture! Really soaked up the atmosphere in that. You can build up to a fast walk by holding down L1, or maybe its R1.
(would love a VR version!)

Awesome! Just knowing someone else enjoyed it makes me want to play it.
[doublepost=1478801526][/doublepost]
Hoping they Patch PS4 Pro support with longer draw distances and resolution ...

Or 60 FPS for me.

This is going to be a problem for me. Some games are coming out with the option of Pro modes, 60 fps OR 4K.

'The last of us' being a example.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It should be indistinguishable from the normal PS4 unless the devs patch it.

I highly doubt they will patch it for the PS4 Pro. They need to address the game as a whole for all players. An update for just PS4 Pro would make it look like more of a cash grab.

That makes sense. However, Hello Games only has 12 developers. I'm not sure if we would see a revamp for No Mans Sky or not. I think it would be nice to see a refresh. The latest patch rectified many issues it suffered from.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

The PC community, at least, has modded it for flying around infinitely with the jetpack as well as running...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The PC community, at least, has modded it for flying around infinitely with the jetpack as well as running...

Probably one of the only benefits playing on the PC is modifications. Otherwise, From
What I have heard, the PC version is a broken disaster.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Probably one of the only benefits playing on the PC is modifications. Otherwise, From
What I have heard, the PC version is a broken disaster.

Not anymore with the mods. There are mods to fix framerates, resolutions, and running the game on older and weaker CPU's....

The only bad thing is that Hello Games has maintained the $60 pricetag on the PC version.

The PS4 version download is $40 on Playstation.com and the disc copies are as low as $18 (Amazon Warehouse deals) for used ones...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not anymore with the mods. There are mods to fix framerates, resolutions, and running the game on older and weaker CPU's....

The only bad thing is that Hello Games has maintained the $60 pricetag on the PC version.

The PS4 version download is $40 on Playstation.com and the disc copies are as low as $18 (Amazon Warehouse deals) for used ones...

Wasn't aware modifications could repair frame rates and stability. That's interesting.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Wasn't aware modifications could repair frame rates and stability. That's interesting.

Yep..... for example...

In the PC world, devs can choose the GPU to do much of the number-crunching as people like me, put the money into the GPU card rather than the CPU.

Lazy devs may just let the CPU do the numbers (as in this procedurally generated game), plus you have to program for a CPU's multiple cores and threads. Lots of programming required.

Hello Games appeared to optimize the game for the PS4 Architecture, so PC owners with certain Intel+nVidia combos were having stuttering and framerate issues. Also, people like me (what I saw online at least) with cheaper AMD processors were having problems as well.

The community patches fixes all this...

Hopefully, a PS4 patch to the game will update the game to this level as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.