Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Even brand new copies of the game are not selling for $30.00 new.

I said it a few times before, this game really is intended for more Of a mature gamer. It's not a
First person shooter per se or a action packed adrenaline rush. It's a game where it will take you where you so choose.

I do feel if Hello Games/Murrary can provide some significant updates, it may save some damage control for them.

What I meant is that it would be a great game for $20-$30, at $60, not at all.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Oddly enough, I bought the game on launch day, and I got pretty much exactly what I expected. I never thought it would be more than what it is right now.

I guess I can somewhat understand the whole multiplayer thing. They always said that it would be very unlikely you would ever run into another player, but that it was theoretically possible. Now it turns out it is not possible. But to me, there is only a very small step from "very likely never going to happen" to "not going to happen". No big deal. If I had wanted a game where I can interact with other players, I would have bought a different game, even based on their early promises.

Reactions: MRU

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I understood what you meant. I was stating the game brand new is only selling for half the MSRP on eBay.

O I C...

Yeah, just last week Gamestop was giving $30 credit for used copy, now they're only giving $16.50.

Hi

I saw it for pc on GOG for $30 bought it straight out.

I'm running it on boot camp on a 2013 full spec iMac. High settings apart from shadows and I'm using full resolution. The frame rates are above 30 most of the time which for this kind of slow paced game is fine.

So far I've put about 8 hours into the game I'm not planning on changing my system yet although I've got the blueprints for my hyperdrive and most of the things I need for it. I'm going to check out all the planets in my system before I move on.

For 30$(approx £22) for me it's very good value I think I will get my money's worth this week.
Generally I'm a casual player so taking my time and enjoying my experience is more important for me.
For the money I paid I would recommend it but for full price on release day I wouldn't.

Also I haven't had a single crash I don't understand the problems people are having with the pc version.

I missed that GOG sale - must have been over last weekend and I work weekends...

Hoping for that price over this Labor Day Weekend on Steam's sale...

Supposedly a new patch made it studder less on PC's (maybe they spread the procedural generation routine over a wider timeframe?).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oddly enough, I bought the game on launch day, and I got pretty much exactly what I expected. I never thought it would be more than what it is right now.

I guess I can somewhat understand the whole multiplayer thing. They always said that it would be very unlikely you would ever run into another player, but that it was theoretically possible. Now it turns out it is not possible. But to me, there is only a very small step from "very likely never going to happen" to "not going to happen". No big deal. If I had wanted a game where I can interact with other players, I would have bought a different game, even based on their early promises.
Yeah same here. I don't feel miss sold or care about multiplayer or lack of. Never expected multiplayer. Don't get the negativity been attracted here to be frank.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah same here. I don't feel miss sold or care about multiplayer or lack of. Never expected multiplayer. Don't get the negativity been attracted here to be frank.

This title has to be the biggest hype I've EVER seen....

I wanted to originally get the Limited Edition, but was "sold out" immediately. Such a collectible for such a great game! You can still get the regular version before it sells out!

Low and behold, now there's a huge restock at Amazon and Gamestop on September 5... :eek:

https://www.amazon.com/No-Mans-Sky-Limited-PlayStation-4/dp/B01CINIAKS/

Really?

The negativity will pass when all the patches so that it runs well are out and the game is going for $30 retail and $25 used - the price it was supposed to be in the first place.

I'll definitely get a Steam copy for $20 at around their holiday sale...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Now, I do agree with you about the multiplayer. I am more of a single player gamer myself. But I do understand the negativity towards the promised features in the multiplayer aspect for the game. As I stated before, the developer should have made it clear what his intentions were with the game, either when the game was released or after future updates when applied.

Is the game repetitive, yes. Is the game new and exciting, somewhat. But overall. I really do feel this game is for someone who truly appreciates this type of genre. I definitely don't think this game would appease to the masses of the younger crowd, more so, because they are wanting an adrenaline rush, when this game will not deliver that in this respect.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I do agree with you about the multiplayer. I am more of a single player gamer myself.
Ditto, actually I don't even like multiplayer games and avoid them. I'm a laid back enthusiast, not a hard core gamer, and dealing with those folks tend to lower my enjoyment of a given game, i.e., I don't last long in multiplayer games.

That's why I was so disappointed in star wars battlefront, it's so incredibly weak on the single player side that there was virtually nothing to do.

I'll definitely get a Steam copy for $20 at around their holiday sale...
I don't think you will, you seem mostly negative towards the game, I understand you don't like the price point, and the level of hype (which is something I tried to avoid to keep my expectations in check), but from this thread you seem to go out of your way to highlight the negatives.

Don't me wrong, I have no problem with someone posting negative opinions on a product, I may (or may not) agree with them, but I do respect your opinion However given what you post, I'll be surprised if you buy it at all, especially during the holidays when other newer games will be out and on sale thanks to Christmas.

Reactions: 44267547 and MRU

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ditto, actually I don't even like multiplayer games and avoid them. I'm a laid back enthusiast, not a hard core gamer, and dealing with those folks tend to lower my enjoyment of a given game, i.e., I don't last long in multiplayer games.

That's why I was so disappointed in star wars battlefront, it's so incredibly weak on the single player side that there was virtually nothing to do.

So, I played No Mans Sky last night and realized how fast three hours went by. I actually thought my clock was wrong! I didn't realize how far I strayed away from my ship. It took me almost 30 minutes to get back. A quick save feature would have been useful in the least.

Anyways, really enjoying the game so far. No crashes yet with the current update.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So, I played No Mans Sky last night and realized how fast three hours went by
Of all the games, I've played this one seems to cause me to lose touch with time. I've done the same thing, play so long without realizing that the whole day came and went :eek:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I don't think you will, you seem mostly negative towards the game, I understand you don't like the price point, and the level of hype (which is something I tried to avoid to keep my expectations in check), but from this thread you seem to go out of your way to highlight the negatives.

Don't me wrong, I have no problem with someone posting negative opinions on a product, I may (or may not) agree with them, but I do respect your opinion However given what you post, I'll be surprised if you buy it at all, especially during the holidays when other newer games will be out and on sale thanks to Christmas.

I will eventually buy.

I love and collect space games. Good or bad.

The bad ones I have I bought on Steam I got for less than $5.

The "bad ones" I've bought around $1 are no longer "that bad"...

Reactions: maflynn

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm giving it a rest for now, I feel like I'm going to the same planet over and over with just a different color. My first galaxy was just plane awesome but now I'm getting the same thing...think I'll wait for the big patch that will add freight purchasing.

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Two hours is quick? I played for three hours and It felt like three minutes, it must of been the Hyper Drive :D.
That's what I mean. You load it up for a quick go and them found you've lost a couple of hours.

Got my first crashed ship exchange and then realised after swapping I did not have the past needed to fix it so spent ages solving that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Got my first crashed ship exchange and then realised after swapping I did not have the past needed to fix it so spent ages solving that.
I only came across one crashed ship in my journeys and it was smaller then my existing ship, so I passed on it.

I've hit the highest milestone for walking, so its not like I'm not exploring the various planets. I've been stuck in a mode, if you will, of landing on hostile environment planets. Most of the systems I've been going too, seem to be too hot, cold, or radioactive. I'll probably veer off the atlas quest and go more open at this point, its not something that seems worthwhile to keep doing, so I'll poke around and see what else I can find.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I will eventually buy.

I love and collect space games. Good or bad.

The bad ones I have I bought on Steam I got for less than $5.

The "bad ones" I've bought around $1 are no longer "that bad"...

Just bought a copy of the Limited Edition PS4 off eBay from actually someone in the area - Mint Complete for $40...

Great deal. Now only if I had kept my PS4 - but the NEO announcement is on Wed...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just bought a copy of the Limited Edition PS4 off eBay from actually someone in the area - Mint Complete for $40...

Great deal. Now only if I had kept my PS4 - but the NEO announcement is on Wed...

Let us know what you think when you play it. My guess is the Neo won't be released until November, before the Holiday season arrives. Are you going to hold out that long before purchasing a new PS4?

Big day Wednesday, Apple's Keynote and Sony's Keynote.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Let us know what you think when you play it. My guess is the Neo won't be released until November, before the Holiday season arrives. Are you going to hold out that long before purchasing a new PS4?

Yes, a big Wednesday.

I don't really know - I already lost $200 selling off my PS4. Now is would be up to 5 games (all exclusives) I would be playing on it though.

I would just be happy to get a slim, but for an extra $100 maybe just future-proof and go with the NEO (if it has a UHD BR Drive). Plus a NEO would greatly help NMS with framerates and processing.

Plus, I'm getting the bill for all those computer parts I've been buying... :eek:

I do know someone who loves NMS and showed him the Ultimate Edition with the ship model. He so wants it but won't be using the PC Download. Maybe I can get that for a deal ($15?) and it would help pay for his model.

We'll see after Wed...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, a big Wednesday.

I don't really know - I already lost $200 selling off my PS4. Now is would be up to 5 games (all exclusives) I would be playing on it though.

I would just be happy to get a slim, but for an extra $100 maybe just future-proof and go with the NEO (if it has a UHD BR Drive). Plus a NEO would greatly help NMS with framerates and processing.

Plus, I'm getting the bill for all those computer parts I've been buying... :eek:

I do know someone who loves NMS and showed him the Ultimate Edition with the ship model. He so wants it but won't be using the PC Download. Maybe I can get that for a deal ($15?) and it would help pay for his model.

We'll see after Wed...

Why did you sell your PS4 to begin with? I did notice No Mans Sky can look grainy when flying low over a planet.

What does the Ultimate Edition offer for No Mans Sky?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Why did you sell your PS4 to begin with? I did notice No Mans Sky can look grainy when flying low over a planet.

What does the Ultimate Edition offer for No Mans Sky?

At the time, Gamestop was giving $200 cash, I was only playing 3 games on it (Ratchet & Clank, Killzone, and Planetside 2), and I wanted to get a GPU card for my newly built Console PC.

No Mans Sky Explorers (sorry) Edition (comes with PC download code for Steam or GOG), $150:

http://store.iam8bit.com/products/no-mans-sky-explorers-edition

NMS-BeautyShot-NB_1024x1024.png

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

WOW - the game was adult-owned and is in essentially unused condition! What a great deal!

Now, what to do as far as a PS4... or just try to get a PC download?

You were right on the PS4 Pro (Neo)...

Maybe get a used PS4 again just to try the game (I could take the system back within 7 days at Gamestop if I don't really like the game - though I hate when people do that).

Or just bite the bullet and get a PS4 (Slim).

Or hold out for a PS4 Pro but I have that distinct feeling that it is going to be a MAJOR FIASCO trying to get one just like the original PS4 was (I ended up waiting until March when I could just walk into a store and they had them).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
WOW - the game was adult-owned and is in essentially unused condition! What a great deal!

Now, what to do as far as a PS4... or just try to get a PC download?

You were right on the PS4 Pro (Neo)...

Maybe get a used PS4 again just to try the game (I could take the system back within 7 days at Gamestop if I don't really like the game - though I hate when people do that).

Or just bite the bullet and get a PS4 (Slim).

Or hold out for a PS4 Pro but I have that distinct feeling that it is going to be a MAJOR FIASCO trying to get one just like the original PS4 was (I ended up waiting until March when I could just walk into a store and they had them).

What's more compelling for you, the PS4 Pro or Slim?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.