Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you received a refund for such non-64-bit applications?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • I will try now

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
I have recently encountered a horrible Apple Support. The worst ever.

I just don’t get how Apple can act this way to customers spending during 7 years 4-5 thousand USD on devices and a good thousand USD on application purchases?

I have updated my iPhone 6S to ios 11.3.1 and I have found that at least 1 of the applications (a unique one) and 2 games that I have paid for and I that I use often are not updated to 64-bit architecture and are unable to work in iOS 11 (it is still installed on my device, but not launch and show the message to ask developers upgrading to 64-bit). I have contacted the support teams of its developers and I have received the answers that they were not going to update it. My request to refund me my costs for these apps were redirected to Apple Support. Here is the information about the Application and the Games:

1. Visuel mobile, QA International, 4,99 USD, Bill #***, Document #***, purchased on DEC 23, 2015;

2. Wild Blood, Gameloft, 6,99 USD, Bill #***, Document #***, purchased on NOV, 25, 2012.;

3. Cyto's Puzzle adventure, EA Chillingo, 0,99 USD, Bill #***, Document #***, purchased on APR, 27, 2013.

First I have contacted the US support team. As a result, the first line support made me feel crazy with next conversation summary:
1. We will not refund as it is impossible due to the purchases terms.

2. We will not disclose the maximum refund terms for such purchases as it is confidential. They give this link https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html as an answer to my question and refuse to give a quote of a paragraph where the answer should be.

3. We would like to transfer this chat to a developers team support and they will help you to downgrade your iPhone 6S from 11.3.1 to 10.x.x.

To be honest with you the last point just killed me. But the support continues to insist that such downgrade is possible. I have never heard anyone had done something similar when a certain iOS version was not signed officially anymore. Besides a downgrade would be not a good solution to me.

I asked to transfer my conversation to a supervisor and after some 20-30 minutes of wait, the chat was ended exactly after my agreement to transfer the chat to a supervisor. This story with chat transfer 30-minutes wait ending repeated 2 more times during next 2 hours. I strongly feel that it was done intentionally.

In the end, I was told that my case has been taken under control by a supervisor Bianca (she wrote me to my email) and that she would inform me about its results. Not a single word from her since.

But a day later I decided to try a UK Apple Support.

A short chat with a first line and a supervisor ended with the same results:
1. Refuse to disclosure refund terms.
2. Refuse to refund.
3. Refuse to offer an equivalent-price service (for example iCloud 50 gb storage plan for 11 months of 1 Apple Music month for free). I use both services for years.

The only thing that was offered (if I want to): an equivalent price renal for movies of music purchases. But I do not buy movies in iTunes and I have an Apple Music subscription. So I have refused this proposition.

I feel abused and my rights violated. Looks like Apple legalized developers right to deprive customers right to use any purchased application if they are lazy enough to update their applications.

I have promised to support team to tell this story on the biggest forums and to ask people write Apple with refund/compensation demands for same cases.

Has anyone ever encountered same cases in Apple Support?

Does anyone know what else can I ask to do on Apple side?

Any help would be good.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Software doesn’t work forever, it never has. It’s the price of getting newer operating systems. Unless I’m mistaken you should have been receiving warnings about upcoming 64 bit requirements each time you opened these referenced apps in iOS 10.x.x

I think Apple is still signing 10.3 for the 6s though for some reason. If so you can downgrade.

Ultimately it’s the app developers who are responsible here, not Apple. If they aren’t going to support their customers then they don’t deserve support from customers such as yourself.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Apple made clear that 32-BIT software would cease to function in future updates. So clear that they were annoyingly clear.

You chose to update.

If only I could still run my Windows 3.1 software on Windows 10. Or even my XP software. Or... my Vista Software. Wait... even my Windows 8 software.

Oh well. I moved up to a new Windows version. Guess it’s up to me to verify the software I use will work first.

I have a lot of OS X Lion Software that won’t work in El Capitan too. And I have El Capitan software that won’t work in High Sierra.

You know.... I got a good $15,000 of software over the years that I should be refunded for. Oh... wait... I chose to upgrade to an incompatible operating system. Oh well...

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
Apple made clear that 32-BIT software would cease to function in future updates. So clear that they were annoyingly clear.

You chose to update.

If only I could still run my Windows 3.1 software on Windows 10. Or even my XP software. Or... my Vista Software. Wait... even my Windows 8 software.

Oh well. I moved up to a new Windows version. Guess it’s up to me to verify the software I use will work first.

I have a lot of OS X Lion Software that won’t work in El Capitan too. And I have El Capitan software that won’t work in High Sierra.

You know.... I got a good $15,000 of software over the years that I should be refunded for. Oh... wait... I chose to upgrade to an incompatible operating system. Oh well...

Hold your inappropriate jokes close by yourself.

Apple forces customers to update iOS and you are wrong: I received no messages in iOS 10.3.1 launching applications without 64-bit upgrades.

Zero reasons to make joke.

jhall8

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2017
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Attachments

• 81D10DA2-10AB-4E84-A16A-000391E964B3.png
    81D10DA2-10AB-4E84-A16A-000391E964B3.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 735AB9E8-5421-4BF1-8653-538B89AB0FC2.jpeg
    735AB9E8-5421-4BF1-8653-538B89AB0FC2.jpeg
    506.8 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
Here are the official Apple terms and conditions:
https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html
[doublepost=1526822714][/doublepost]
Regarding warnings:
https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/09/32-bit-apps-ios/

Quite disappointing. Apple just takes its commission from each app price and has no responsibility for the app. I have no ways to get a refund from developper as the app is sold by Apple, not by the developper. AppStore is up to Apple, not up to developper.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
This is the dumbest thing I’ve seen yet.

I guess we’re all entitled to refunds for all the software we’ve purchased for all prior operating systems that are no longer compatible with later versions?

Best I find all my old Windows 3.1 programs and hound their deveoplers and distributors too.

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
Really you are complaining about a game you bought in 2013 for $0.99 and you expect a refund?

My main complain was about Visual +. Let’s make a comparison and your 6-year old card will stop working right after someone decides that the state roads are too good for it and no other roads exist. What will you tell than?

Here is how Apple feels right and has no reasons to worry about my posts.

So confident that deleted my same post on Apple Forum within an hour

2642f5c5fa870c55ef7e464c8bd85fa8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
My main complain was about Visual +. Let’s make a comparison and your 6-year old card will stop working right after someone decides that the state roads are too good for it and no other roads exist. What will you tell than?

Yep and you bought Visual + in 2015 for $4.99. You used it for around 2 years (that's roughly $2.50 per year). How long do you expect the life time of this app to be? How much do you expect in refund after 2 years of use. Again... are you serious?

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city

I guess we’re all entitled to refunds for all the software we’ve purchased for all prior operating systems that are no longer compatible with later versions?

Best I find all my old Windows 3.1 programs and hound their deveoplers and distributors too.

Does Microsoft make impossible to install old operating system? Oh...let’s see...and what about dumb Apple policy with downgrades? Or you are going to argue that an iOS 9 upgrade for iPhone 4S was not an intentional customers push to buy new iPhones? You think an absolutely slow device is ok with no ability to downgrade just because Apple has decided so, really?

Yep and you bought Visual + in 2015 for $4.99. You used it for around 2 years (that's roughly $2.50 per year). How long do you expect the life time of this app to be? How much do you expect in refund after 2 years of use. Again... are you serious?

But there in no equivalent new app for iPhone! I have on iPad a Visual of a newer version for 25 USD, but it works on iPad only. iPhone is now without this perfect application. The problem is not 11 USD for apps, the problem is the way Apple treats customers with services and support. This is what makes me feel angry and abused.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
No one could believe they’re entitled to a refund years later for an app no longer being compatible with the latest OS version.

Should I take back my old analogue TV set and complain it no longer works with digital TV broadcasts? LOL...

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Damn. I'd better start on my OS/2 refunds!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
2. We will not disclose the maximum refund terms for such purchases as it is confidential. They give this link https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html as an answer to my question and refuse to give a quote of a paragraph where the answer should be.

Section B, right at the top: "All Transactions are final". So the maximum is zero.

Now, Apple will at times refund, if you just bought the app and there are issues with it, but years later!?
[doublepost=1526827107][/doublepost]
Guess this blows a hole in my theory that only privileged Americans feel entitled. Must be a spreading disease.:D

Knew an individual that worked for Apple support, and they complained that the APAC customers were even bigger self-entitled jerks vs US customers. So, yeah, it is a small world after all.

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
By the way. What do all of you think about the downgrade 11.3.1>10.x.x. Has anyone heard about it now! Apple support guy was trying to convince me that is is absolutely ok and works fine. Really, tell me if this if true, official downgrade 11>10 on iPhone 6S.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
By the way. What do all of you think about the downgrade 11.3.1>10.x.x. Has anyone heard about it now! Apple support guy was trying to convince me that is is absolutely ok and works fine. Really, tell me if this if true, official downgrade 11>10 on iPhone 6S.
It should be fine.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Given you've already tried (and failed, quite miserably in fact) to convince us that your version of 10.3 never once warned you about the 32 bit apps, I think your assertion that you were told this is laughable. I don't rate the Apple Geniuses at the best of times, but you trying to convince us you were told that by them is stretching credibility way too far.

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
Given you've already tried (and failed, quite miserably in fact) to convince us that your version of 10.3 never once warned you about the 32 bit apps, I think your assertion that you were told this is laughable. I don't rate the Apple Geniuses at the best of times, but you trying to convince us you were told that by them is stretching credibility way too far.

Here is the part with this 11>10 downgrade proposition. I was totally confused to hear it. It is impossible, everyone knows it.
542620c22e9d0593b8bda0a6a122e7cc.jpg

HandsomeDanNZ

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Auckland NZ
Knew an individual that worked for Apple support, and they complained that the APAC customers were even bigger self-entitled jerks vs US customers. So, yeah, it is a small world after all.

That would've been the OTHER APAC customers - like the Australians.

Couldn't possibly have been NZers...we're far too nice. ;)

Reactions: Ashka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.