Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you received a refund for such non-64-bit applications?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • I will try now

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would imagine to cut out a lot of the frivolous QoS claims.

Beats me - it's an FTC rule but i'd imagine that @Greene's assumption ain't too far from the truth...
Having recalled a dispute some years back for a $20-some item I guess it made me wonder. Looks like that $50 limit (along with a related geographical provision) is part of the official FTC policy, but based on some articles it seems that most major credit card carriers have often chosen not to really implement that aspect of it and generally will attempt to help out with any dispute, which I guess would be consistent with the personal experience I recalled.

That said, it doesn't really change anything in relation to what's in this thread.

Reactions: TiggrToo

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Credit card question subthread is not actual, because I have no credit card in my AppleID. I use redeem codes to add funds and I pay with my balance in AppleID account. No purchase was paid with any credit card.

You have no options.

You have no legal grounds.

You have no moral grounds.

Just take what they offered you. Some movie credit. Use it or don’t. And move on.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
You have no options.

You have no legal grounds.

You have no moral grounds.

Just take what they offered you. Some movie credit. Use it or don’t. And move on.

In all the noise of everything else, I didn't even see that the OP didn't even use a Credit Card:eek:. OMG. He's so SoL it's unreal. In the sea of SoL'y he's the Captain of the good Ship SoL, fueled by SoL, which has just hit an iceberg with SoL on a big huge neon sign perched atop. :D

Amazing...:rolleyes:

Thanks for highlighting that factoid!

Last edited:

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I’m sure the couple of free iTunes rentals Apple offered as a solution is worth more than the apps themselves. With a problem like this, it’s possible one could wind themselves up so much about something that they start hurting themselfes and others.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have recently encountered a horrible Apple Support. The worst ever.
Do you blame the car manufacture when the price of gas goes up? Or just finally runs out? Do you blame the shoe manufacturer when you purchase new shoes and then lose both feet due to diabetes?

Seems like you are barking up the wrong tree.

Contact the developers of the software that you felt have stiffed you. They have your money, not apple.

PS. Welcome to the forums.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
That is a funny post.

Thanks for the laughs.
[doublepost=1526957861][/doublepost]
Hold your inappropriate jokes close by yourself.

Apple forces customers to update iOS and you are wrong: I received no messages in iOS 10.3.1 launching applications without 64-bit upgrades.

Zero reasons to make joke.

But you're the one that made the joke. And seriously, it was funny

hint: apple doesn't owe you a refund.

Thanks for the laughs.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I get the fact that we're not entitled to refunds, but it would be nice if developers took some time to update their apps. Example: I'm a huge (J)RPG fan and bought all the Final Fantasy games, same for Dragon Quest, but I wouldn't like it if any of these games wouldn't be supported anymore, especially because they're from a big company. A small indie Dev might not have the resources, but these giants do.
So I get it that the OP wants Gameloft to update the game...

But I absolutely understand that Apple won't refund stuff you have for years and gets broken because the Dev won't update the app anymore.

Reactions: TiggrToo

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I get the fact that we're not entitled to refunds, but it would be nice if developers took some time to update their apps. Example: I'm a huge (J)RPG fan and bought all the Final Fantasy games, same for Dragon Quest, but I wouldn't like it if any of these games wouldn't be supported anymore, especially because they're from a big company. A small indie Dev might not have the resources, but these giants do.

But I absolutely understand that Apple won't refund stuff you have for years and gets broken because the Dev won't update the app anymore.

Yea, but this isn't something new with software developers. Software developers abandon older software very quickly. I have an app "AutoStitch" that I bought and love. It was easily the best photo stitching software on iOS that I had found and still haven't found a worthy replacement. I lost access to it with iOS 11. The developer was bought by Google and the software has not been updated in 2015. It sucks, but there is nothing anyone can do about it. I'm also not going to go out and demand my $1.99 back because iOS 11 broke software that hasn't been updated since 2015.

With computers you'd have to go back to before "subscription models". You'd have to buy the new version of Photoshop if the old version had something broken in it because of an OS update. Same with Office. How about FCP 7 now? I paid a lot of money for that software and it does not open anymore on High Sierra. New version of FCP is technically a different type of NLE and not an upgrade. If I wanted to be able to still run it, I couldn't upgrade macOS.

Reactions: BlankStar

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
There is one game I lost since iOS 11 but it’s not about the money, think it was a 79p game around 2011. It was called gears, just really miss the game! And in all fairness to the publisher they got back to me saying they couldn’t track down the developer to remake it 64bit! Oh well I’m sure if I looked hard I’d find a similar game. Does anyone remember this game?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

In a perfect world you are spot on. But let's look at it realistically. Pretend you were a board for a multi-million dollar company. Pretend you had 100 developers on staff ( they are not cheap ). Would you approve of reassigning 10 of them to rebuild older software for a year? The net income gain would be zero. Or would you approve of assigning them to a new project?

Developers are short in supply. There are just not enough of us. To be completely realistic, rebuilding older software is worse than building new software. You have to correct old paradigms of development, refactor functions and more only after studying how the older software team developed it. Most often it is a nightmare to work through and not something you would want to put your developers through if you cared for them at all.

Reactions: BlankStar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.