Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you received a refund for such non-64-bit applications?

• Yes

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 88.1%
  • I will try now

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Logically speaking, Apple will continuously update their system software and developers will need to update their apps for continued support. If these developers doesn’t want to update their apps, it’s their wish and sounds like they’re dropping support or abandoning the app altogether in which you have paid for. By using any Apple product, you already agreed to the terms and conditions governed by Apple that it will continuously update their software and user has choice to update either update or ignore the update. However, the assumption you have just because the app doesn’t support updated software you want to demand a refund is pretty much flawed. You paid for the apps because you enjoy them and you paid to support these developers yet you want to retract your wish after using their apps for a few years? A lot of companies release stuff whether it’s hardware or software and eventually they will drop support and you think you can claim your rights were violated because you bought a product, used it and requested refund when they discontinued or no longer compatible? If you’re a seller, I would love to buy from you and request a refund when manufactures decide the discontinue it. Our minds can be a fickle thing I'm pretty sure you would've seen a app warning in probably 10.3 showing app isn't optimized for 64-bit and may probably pay no mind and hit "OK" to move along.

APP MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT

Apple is responsible for providing maintenance and support for Apple Apps only, or as required under applicable law. App Providers are responsible for providing maintenance and support for Third Party Apps.
https://www.apple.com/ca/legal/internet-services/itunes/ca/terms.html

All purchase on the App Store is basically final due to the electronic nature like gift cards. The whole point is that you used it already. Hence, you wouldn’t get a refund anyways.

Literally, this whole rant over $12 just to bash at Apple for developers who doesn’t want to update their apps sounds ridiculous. The right thing you should’ve done was to contact the developer on whether their apps will support the upcoming major iOS each year. If you knew that, you would’ve known from the start.

Last edited:

Greene

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2015
Fort Worth
Zero reasons to make joke.

There's always a reason to make jokes.

But for real, it sounds like you got a lot of use out that software. If it were my apps you were looking for a refund on, I would be pretty amused. Maybe contact the app developers directly. I guarantee they will think you're not a pleasant person, but they might paypal you the cash just to get you off their butt. You're not entitled to a refund by any stretch of App store terms, but worth a shot if you feel this is worth pursuing.

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
There's always a reason to make jokes.

But for real, it sounds like you got a lot of use out that software. If it were my apps you were looking for a refund on, I would be pretty amused. Maybe contact the app developers directly. I guarantee they will think you're not a pleasant person, but they might paypal you the cash just to get you off their butt. You're not entitled to a refund by any stretch of App store terms, but worth a shot if you feel this is worth pursuing.

I have contacted developers of Visuel + right before contacting Apple. They have told me that they were not going to update their Visual dictionary and that I should ask Apple to make a refund.
And yes, it is the unique and extremely useful 5-languages visual dictionary.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have contacted developers of Visuel + right before contacting Apple. They have told me that they were not going to update their Visual dictionary and that I should ask Apple to make a refund.
And yes, it is the unique and extremely useful 5-languages visual dictionary.

And there's your answer. You got 2.5 years use out of an app. The vendor refuses to modify it. Your beef is with the vendors and them alone.

Apple will not, under any circumstance, refund apps you've had for over 2 years. And I for one totally support them taking this stance - as do apparently most people here.

Some items and purchases older than 90 days are not eligible for refunds.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204084#problem

Give it up because you're not going to convince anyone here that you've a case...

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
And there's your answer. You got 2.5 years use out of an app. The vendor refuses to modify it. Your beef is with the vendors and them alone.

Apple will not, under any circumstance, refund apps you've had for over 2 years. And I for one totally support them taking this stance - as do apparently most people here.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204084#problem

Give it up because you're not going to convince anyone here that you've a case...

I have no aim to convince anyone) I have just shared my case and I still believe that Apple could have been right only if its iOS downgrade policy wouldn’t be so dumb.

If I have purchased a device with an iOS X.X, I have the right to choose what iOS, between the last supported and the one from the box, I want to use. I know no other examples of this much unfair policy concerning customer rights to decide how to use its device. Even MacBooks are downgradable. iOS is the only system with a forced and irreversible upgrade-policy.

This is why I’m so angry and disappointed.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
How does Apple “force” you or anyone to upgrade?

They don't force you, but they sure can be persistent little buggers about it!

Both my 7+ and my iPad have turned into whiney little weiners about wanting me off 11.2.5 - on the plus side at least Apple have yet to adopt the snarkiness that Carrot exhibits when dealing with us lowly meatbags when we exit the latest weather forecast. So there's that I suppose...:D

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
I wonder, if I could get a refund from a gas station every time my car runs out of fuel.

I paid $40 to fill up my car and yet, it keeps running out of fuel every Tuesday. Those bastards are.... they are just wrong and owe me money. I’m furious and I want my fuel back.

I’m suing Sunoco LP.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I wonder, if I could get a refund from a gas station every time my car runs out of fuel.

I paid $40 to fill up my car and yet, it keeps running out of fuel every Tuesday. Those bastards are.... they are just wrong and owe me money. I’m furious and I want my fuel back.

I’m suing Sunoco LP.

You know what else Irks me??? I purchased all my music on records and they worked fine on my record players. And they won’t fit into the CD players. So then I got an iPod. But I still can’t play my records on the iPod. I want my money back. I expected my music would play on any music player I upgraded to.

I’m mad because I purchased 50 gallons of gas for my car. Then I upgraded to a fully electric vehicle and I can’t use my gasoline.

I purchased that gas with the expectation that I would be able to use it to get me around. I want my money back because it won’t work in my electric car.

I also purchased a barrel of rice for me and my family. We love rice. And we expected to be able to live on that rice for years. But our bodies decided to develop a rice allergy. And the store refuses to refund my money for the rice. I can’t use it anymore, and they won’t refund my money.

I also have a Motorola cell phone from 1997. You know... the grey brick one that had the black plastic antenna. And there’s nothing wrong with it. But nobody can provide cellular service to it.

So I want Motorola to refund my money. But all they did was call everyone from the back rooms to come out. They had this weird smile on their face as they asked me to repeat my request.

I calmly explained my dilemma, and again asked for a refund. Suddenly they exploded into laughter. Which apparently triggered the government sensors, because suddenly an emergency response team showed up and said something about a 10 on the Richter scale.

I was so humiliated. So now I’m suing for a refund, plus emotional damage and pain and suffering.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I have recently encountered a horrible Apple Support. The worst ever.

And reading your rant, I support them not giving you a dang thing. The three apps you are griping about you had for 2 plus years each. And paid rather trite amounts for them. Plus you agreed to terms and conditions that all sales are final and Apple owes you nothing if a develop ceases an app.

Sorry dude but in my opinion it’s you and not apple that was out of line.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I have no aim to convince anyone) I have just shared my case and I still believe that Apple could have been right only if its iOS downgrade policy wouldn’t be so dumb.

If I have purchased a device with an iOS X.X, I have the right to choose what iOS, between the last supported and the one from the box, I want to use. I know no other examples of this much unfair policy concerning customer rights to decide how to use its device. Even MacBooks are downgradable. iOS is the only system with a forced and irreversible upgrade-policy.

This is why I’m so angry and disappointed.

No. Your entire pretext of this thread was you whining that Apple wouldn't refund you your purchase price for those apps purchased over two years ago.

Listen, what makes YOU so special? We've almost all lost access to apps during this process and yet we move on. Rather than continuing to embarrass the heck out of yourself I suggest you quit whilst you're still massively behind, request to have the thread closed by the mods, and say nothing else on the subject to avoid further humiliation.

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
No. Your entire pretext of this thread was you whining that Apple wouldn't refund you your purchase price for those apps purchased over two years ago.

Listen, what makes YOU so special? We've almost all lost access to apps during this process and yet we move on. Rather than continuing to embarrass the heck out of yourself I suggest you quit whilst you're still massively behind, request to have the thread closed by the mods, and say nothing else on the subject to avoid further humiliation.

Humiliation? I’m perfectly fine. If you think I’m embarrassed or humiliated, well, this is your right to, but I fell ok and I have right to write here whatever I want as long as I’m polite. If you don’t like this thread, just don’t read it anymore. A very simple and clear decision. Once again no other operational system excludes downgrades except iOS and this is why I feel this way in a situation that I have reported here.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Humiliation? I’m perfectly fine. If you think I’m embarrassed or humiliated, well, this is your right to, but I fell ok and I have right to write here whatever I want as long as I’m polite. If you don’t like this thread, just don’t read it anymore. A very simple and clear decision. Once again no other operational system excludes downgrades except iOS and this is why I feel this way in a situation that I have reported here.

Sure bud...sure...

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I can’t see one reason why Apple would ever offer to refund the money that was spent on those apps. You used them for years and the maker of the app decided not to make them compatible with future hardware and software. (They will never work with say an iPhoneX)

The fact they offered you credit for a movie is amazing to me and way above and beyond anything they ever needed to do. Did they offer the money as an iTunes gift card? If so maybe you can find yourself a couple new apps to buy. Can’t believe they even offer d that though to be honest...

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, I have a couple of analogies.

1. When analog OTA broadcast was shut down completely in 2009 to finish the changeover to HDTV ATSC, you had to go out and buy a digital converter to use so you can still watch broadcast on any non HDTV. (Yes, there was a limited time to get one for free with a rebate coupon, but that had its own limitations including how many per household and a time limit)
2. When TV makers stopped making CRT TVs, the light guns from your NES, SNES, etc. stopped working. They don't work with Plasma, LCD or LED TVs.

In case #1, did you contact your TV maker and complain to them that your old TV no longer works for anything. In case #2, did you ask Nintendo for your money back since Duck Hunt was unplayable now?

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I have recently encountered a horrible Apple Support. The worst ever.

I just don’t get how Apple can act this way to customers spending during 7 years 4-5 thousand USD on devices and a good thousand USD on application purchases?

I have updated my iPhone 6S to ios 11.3.1 and I have found that at least 1 of the applications (a unique one) and 2 games that I have paid for and I that I use often are not updated to 64-bit architecture and are unable to work in iOS 11 (it is still installed on my device, but not launch and show the message to ask developers upgrading to 64-bit). I have contacted the support teams of its developers and I have received the answers that they were not going to update it. My request to refund me my costs for these apps were redirected to Apple Support. Here is the information about the Application and the Games:

1. Visuel mobile, QA International, 4,99 USD, Bill #***, Document #***, purchased on DEC 23, 2015;

2. Wild Blood, Gameloft, 6,99 USD, Bill #***, Document #***, purchased on NOV, 25, 2012.;

3. Cyto's Puzzle adventure, EA Chillingo, 0,99 USD, Bill #***, Document #***, purchased on APR, 27, 2013.

First I have contacted the US support team. As a result, the first line support made me feel crazy with next conversation summary:
1. We will not refund as it is impossible due to the purchases terms.

2. We will not disclose the maximum refund terms for such purchases as it is confidential. They give this link https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html as an answer to my question and refuse to give a quote of a paragraph where the answer should be.

3. We would like to transfer this chat to a developers team support and they will help you to downgrade your iPhone 6S from 11.3.1 to 10.x.x.

To be honest with you the last point just killed me. But the support continues to insist that such downgrade is possible. I have never heard anyone had done something similar when a certain iOS version was not signed officially anymore. Besides a downgrade would be not a good solution to me.

I asked to transfer my conversation to a supervisor and after some 20-30 minutes of wait, the chat was ended exactly after my agreement to transfer the chat to a supervisor. This story with chat transfer 30-minutes wait ending repeated 2 more times during next 2 hours. I strongly feel that it was done intentionally.

In the end, I was told that my case has been taken under control by a supervisor Bianca (she wrote me to my email) and that she would inform me about its results. Not a single word from her since.

But a day later I decided to try a UK Apple Support.

A short chat with a first line and a supervisor ended with the same results:
1. Refuse to disclosure refund terms.
2. Refuse to refund.
3. Refuse to offer an equivalent-price service (for example iCloud 50 gb storage plan for 11 months of 1 Apple Music month for free). I use both services for years.

The only thing that was offered (if I want to): an equivalent price renal for movies of music purchases. But I do not buy movies in iTunes and I have an Apple Music subscription. So I have refused this proposition.

I feel abused and my rights violated. Looks like Apple legalized developers right to deprive customers right to use any purchased application if they are lazy enough to update their applications.

I have promised to support team to tell this story on the biggest forums and to ask people write Apple with refund/compensation demands for same cases.

Has anyone ever encountered same cases in Apple Support?

Does anyone know what else can I ask to do on Apple side?

Any help would be good.
Contact your credit card issuer, tell them you paid for an app that you simply cannot use. See what they have to say, It was known that 32bit apps wouldn’t work anymore yes, however a lot of people probably pressed a install later etc that pops up 5 times a day and intrudes on what you are doing in order to dismiss the screen so they can get back to what they were doing. Maybe you were inthis boat maybe not. Have you tried to contact the Devolpers? Maybe they are working on a 64bit version.

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Contact your credit card issuer, tell them you paid for an app that you simply cannot use. See what they have to say, It was known that 32bit apps wouldn’t work anymore yes, however a lot of people probably pressed a install later etc that pops up 5 times a day and intrudes on what you are doing in order to dismiss the screen so they can get back to what they were doing. Maybe you were inthis boat maybe not. Have you tried to contact the Devolpers? Maybe they are working on a 64bit version.

A credit card company isn't going to issue a refund for a product they paid for more than two years and actually received and used during that time! They got what they paid for so there is no reason for them to issue a refund. It's not the case they mistakenly bought an app they couldn't use.

Reactions: arefbe and TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

1. Credit card companies will refuse point blank to deal with something from 2 years ago. You have a tight Window to dispute a charge and this has long since passed.
2. The OP said he'd made contact and the developers who said they'd not be making changes.

For the US, there's two sorts of disputes: Billing errors and Quality of Service/Goods. Since this isn't a billing issue, one has to look at the Quality of Service/Goods. The OP loses outright from the get-go because the EULA protects Apple. In any case, a quality of service issue has to be at least $50.00.

In other words, the OP is SoL.

Reactions: magicMac

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1. Credit card companies will refuse point blank to deal with something from 2 years ago. You have a tight Window to dispute a charge and this has long since passed.
2. The OP said he'd made contact and the developers who said they'd not be making changes.

For the US, there's two sorts of disputes: Billing errors and Quality of Service/Goods. Since this isn't a billing issue, one has to look at the Quality of Service/Goods. The OP loses outright from the get-go because the EULA protects Apple. In any case, a quality of service issue has to be at least $50.00.

In other words, the OP is SoL.
Out of curiosity, what's that $50.00 limitation about?

Marinier

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
A credit card company isn't going to issue a refund for a product they paid for more than two years and actually received and used during that time! They got what they paid for so there is no reason for them to issue a refund. It's not the case they mistakenly bought an app they couldn't use.

Credit card question subthread is not actual, because I have no credit card in my AppleID. I use redeem codes to add funds and I pay with my balance in AppleID account. No purchase was paid with any credit card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.