Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
You can't copy the "Install macOS Sierra" app from the HDD to the SSD because of new Sierra install app bug. If you try to launch it from SSD you will see:

View attachment 887706

You must run the "Install macOS Sierra" app from the Applications folder that InstallOS.dmg (downloaded in Step 4) and InstallOS.pkg (Step 5) was run on to create the "Install macOS Sierra" app in the Applications folder (I would recommend NOT rebooting before running the "Install macOS Sierra" app). You can select the disk to install Sierra on once you launch the the "Install macOS Sierra" app and see the window shown in Step 6 and click Continue.

If you want to do a clean install, that is more complicated because of the buggy new Sierra installer.

I would recommend booting from an El Capitan USB installer. Erase the drive you want to do the clean install, install El Capitan to the wiped drive, create your login account, boot from the new account on the freshly installed drive, then run the Sierra InstallOS.dmg (downloaded in Step 4) and InstallOS.pkg (Step 5) to create the "Install macOS Sierra" app in the Applications folder. Launch the "Install macOS Sierra" app to install Sierra. That is as close to a clean install that I can think of because the bug in the Sierra installer.

You could create a working Sierra USB installer IF you had the old Sierra installer before the certificate expired, but Apple does not provide that for download any longer.
Thanks a lot for your help. I'll go over this all again asap and give something a try. I'll report back with how it went.

Thanks again.

Reactions: CoastalOR

Zlig

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Has anyone tried telling Apple the Sierra installer they have provided is unusable?

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
@CoastalOR

I just installed it on the old drive the standard way from the downloaded file. I'll probably do the same to the 'new' ssd, because it doesn't really have anything on it - just Elcap and a few apps. Should be any issues if I just update/upgrade to Sierra on that drive with out doing a "clean install" (formatting, etc), right?

Thank you.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
@CoastalOR

I just installed it on the old drive the standard way from the downloaded file. I'll probably do the same to the 'new' ssd, because it doesn't really have anything on it - just Elcap and a few apps. Should be any issues if I just update/upgrade to Sierra on that drive with out doing a "clean install" (formatting, etc), right?

Thank you.
You should be able to upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan without having to do a format and clean install. It is recommended to do a back up before doing a macOS upgrade if there is any important data on your old system.

Reactions: Aguymac

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
You should be able to upgrade to Sierra from El Capitan without having to do a format and clean install. It is recommended to do a back up before doing a macOS upgrade if there is any important data on your old system.
Oh I know I can do an upgrade without having to do a format and clean install. It's just that usually I want to reformat/clean install. And in this case it'd be a little tricky because of this whole issue of this installer, etc.
Just to be clear.

Thanks for all your help.

EricFromCanada

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2020
somewhere north of Toronto
I've solved the reissued Sierra installer issue. The original installer's version is 12.6.03, while the reissued installer is version 12.6.06. It turns out that to get the reissued installer working, all you have to do is open its Info.plist file and change the value for CFBundleShortVersionString from 12.6.06 to 12.6.03. This can be done with a single command using plutil:
Code:
sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist

I found this while building an installer drive with DiskMaker X; see my site for the original post.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That sounds like progress.

Anyone have an equivalent for High Sierra?
There’s no issue with the High Sierra installer and making a USB drive from it. The problem discussed in this thread is unique to the revised Sierra installer.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not convinced about that as I have just this moment retried it with the link from apple and I am getting:

/MyVolume is not a valid mount point.

Any other ideas?
What is the full command you ran? If you're trying to create the installer on a disk named MyVolume, you need to set the destination as /Volumes/MyVolume, not /MyVolume.

Wickintime

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I used the 'cut and paste' from the apple support site:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

where MyVolume was the correct name of my USB - still no joy.

strongesthylian

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
I've solved the reissued Sierra installer issue. The original installer's version is 12.6.03, while the reissued installer is version 12.6.06. It turns out that to get the reissued installer working, all you have to do is open its Info.plist file and change the value for CFBundleShortVersionString from 12.6.06 to 12.6.03. This can be done with a single command using plutil:
Code:
sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist

I found this while building an installer drive with DiskMaker X; see my site for the original post.

This works! Thanks!

Wickintime

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for all the assistance.
I finally managed to sort this out though I'm not really sure how! I think it was by having the usb entitled MyVolume rather than My Volume.

Learning is such fun!

ataractic

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
NJ
Thank you, EricFromCanada! After hours of banging my head against the wall, this was what finally got my disk made. Apple really knows how to make things difficult sometimes. It's like they don't even test this stuff before release.

Gordovision

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
Edmonton, Canada
Code:

Thank you so much for this. I've been beating my head against my desk trying to create an installer and failing, but this worked perfectly.

Reactions: Andybaird

Country-Gents

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
Oxfordshire
I realise this thread has been running for ages, but it seems relevant to my dilemma.
Im fully aware of the certificate issue and have working Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra sticks, but try as I might I cannot get Sierra or El Cap to install. Side issue is that suddenly I can't create a Sierra stick, which is how I found this thread.
I have downloaded the new Sierra installer and still cannot create a bootable stick as I get this error "Untitled is not a valid volume mount point", and also Install Disk Creator comes up with an error.
I can create an El Cap stick (terminal or Install Disk Creator) but the ElCap stick comes up with the "may have been tampered with" error and won't run.
The most recent Sierra installer I downloaded is from the link above in the this thread. I extracted it on a machine running Sierra as you cant right click and "Show Package Contents" (anyone know how to sort that too please?) Tried to run
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app
and of course that failed with "Untitled is not a valid volume mount point" again.
Now im stuck and im going to admit a bit cross as I've wasted almost a whole day for the 3rd time trying to get back to normal.
Please someone help.
Thanks
Lee Jones

Country-Gents

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
Oxfordshire
Thanks dude, ill report back if it works.

I ran the command and that part of the puzzle seems resolved as its now merrily making the stick. Now I wonder if it will actually run as an installer???
[automerge]1582648837[/automerge]
This works! Thanks!
Thank you dude. Very clever.

Last edited:

pacdbz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2020
Guys, I did it! The problem is the Sierra os, I dont know why but it’s impossible to make a bootable drive with it. So I did the same but with Yosemite. (Its an old MacBook, it can only have Sierra or older). So I think the Best option is to install Yosemite and then upgrade.

Amy Liliana

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2020
I found this, and it helps!

You put this on the terminal, and then

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

IF YOU ARE INSTALLING SIERRA if is other, put the correspond code

sunblast808

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Code:

It took me three days to find this solution! Thank you VERY much!!! ?

stupots

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2019
Kent, UK
Code:

I'd been struggling all morning with this. I would get prompted for the password then it would seem to hang and my Macbook Pro I'm creating the bootable USB on what run like a dog! Thanks @EricFromCanada

Lov3andPeace

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
Hi, I have similar issue I get this error msg "/Volumes/Untitled is not a valid volume mount point” which I enter this on terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Please advise as I am full stuck. Can’t use my Mac as I was resetting it and after erasing my HDD it doesn’t install, that’s why I was trying to make a bootable installer, but my luck ran out at this error msg. /Volumes/Untitled is not a valid volume mount point

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi, I have similar issue I get this error msg "/Volumes/Untitled is not a valid volume mount point” which I enter this on terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction

Please advise as I am full stuck. Can’t use my Mac as I was resetting it and after erasing my HDD it doesn’t install, that’s why I was trying to make a bootable installer, but my luck ran out at this error msg. /Volumes/Untitled is not a valid volume mount point
The fix is in post #56 of this thread.

Reactions: Lov3andPeace
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.