Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lov3andPeace

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2020
I found this, and it helps!

sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist

You put this on the terminal, and then

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

IF YOU ARE INSTALLING SIERRA if is other, put the correspond code

Many thanks it worked for me. Many thanks
[automerge]1587841778[/automerge]
I've solved the reissued Sierra installer issue. The original installer's version is 12.6.03, while the reissued installer is version 12.6.06. It turns out that to get the reissued installer working, all you have to do is open its Info.plist file and change the value for CFBundleShortVersionString from 12.6.06 to 12.6.03. This can be done with a single command using plutil:
Code:
sudo plutil -replace CFBundleShortVersionString -string "12.6.03" /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Info.plist

I found this while building an installer drive with DiskMaker X; see my site for the original post.
Thank you.
[automerge]1587841818[/automerge]
The fix is in post #56 of this thread.
Many thanks

Marcopolo53

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2016
Toronto
There's apparently a bug in the newly posted Sierra installer which causes this.
Try this Terminal Command BEFORE trying to create the USB Installer of Sierra

Reactions: f329

Emilio306

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Canada
I've solved the reissued Sierra installer issue. The original installer's version is 12.6.03, while the reissued installer is version 12.6.06. It turns out that to get the reissued installer working, all you have to do is open its Info.plist file and change the value for CFBundleShortVersionString from 12.6.06 to 12.6.03. This can be done with a single command using plutil:
Code:

I found this while building an installer drive with DiskMaker X; see my site for the original post.
Nicely done, still works like a charm!

Khalil Dhahbia

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2020
Code:

Big thanks to you guy, I love You hahahah

pradajoe

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Code:

Made an account here to say that you, my friend, are awesome. It worked!

StickShiPHt

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Code:

Made progress but still not creating the bootable disk for me. Now I'm getting an error code 112 in terminal. Here's my full transcript, any ideas why this may be happening?

Last login: Thu Jun 4 02:26:59 on console

Tims-MBP:~ KGMac$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sierra --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app –-nointeraction

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/Sierra.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...

Copying installer files to disk...

Copy complete.

Making disk bootable...

Couldn't mount dmg /Volumes/Install macOS Sierra/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg (error code 112)Mount of outer dmg failed.

Done.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Made progress but still not creating the bootable disk for me. Now I'm getting an error code 112 in terminal. Here's my full transcript, any ideas why this may be happening?

Last login: Thu Jun 4 02:26:59 on console

Tims-MBP:~ KGMac$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Sierra --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app –-nointeraction

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the disk at /Volumes/Sierra.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...

Copying installer files to disk...

Copy complete.

Making disk bootable...

Couldn't mount dmg /Volumes/Install macOS Sierra/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg (error code 112)Mount of outer dmg failed.

Done.
Make sure you don't already have InstallESD mounted, and if you don't, then redownload the installer.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wonderful Eric. This worked and dealt with the no valid mount point error for me.

Code:

Bong Tingzon

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2020
Code:

Is their anyone here can help me how to do this???
Im trying to figure it out and I'm still can't get it.

Thanks in advance

Gmapeg4

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2013
I found this, and it helps!

You put this on the terminal, and then

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

IF YOU ARE INSTALLING SIERRA if is other, put the correspond code
Worked for me. Thank you.

electrichologram

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
Code:

You beautiful, beautiful human. This is the way.

Gabegonzalez0017

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
Jewett TX
Code:

Thank You For fixing the coding errors for Apple because they don't have time while sending our info to China!

• Haha
Reactions: Aguymac

tkrewson

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
Code:

You're a God, that worked.

Aguymac

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2020
@CoastalOR Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the help before.
Also, to update, I didn't get anything to work regarding this. Pretty annoying.

Now, I'm wondering if I should update a 2011 MBP (i7, top of line) with ssd, and 16gb ram, from 10.12.6 sierra, to high sierra [or something newer?] (just for some important app compatibility).

bfg67

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Code:

thanks so much! this just worked great for me, after much searching for the solution

winceyette

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
Hi all, thanks to @EricFromCanada for the fix.
However...!
I managed this and created the USB for Sierra but when I go to install I get "This copy of the Install macOS Sierra application is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS"

Anybody know what I need to do?

I've done a bit of research and somebody mentions changing the date as the certificate's expired. Would I still need to do this if I've followed the instructions for the fix? I'm so confused!

thanks in advance

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
Code:

OH MY GOD THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I can't believe we have to get through all this for something that was supposed to be a simple command copy and paste.

Andybaird

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2015
Code:

Oh my god, I am SO grateful for this tip! I've been struggling with this for DAYS!

theonlyififonly

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
Code:

This worked! Thank you!

vlherring

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
I am trying to do this with a 128G USB drive and Catalina and was getting the same thing - then I kept looking in the Discussions area of Apple and tried the following and so far it's doing what it should [fingers crossed]

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8390761

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities' folder.
  2. After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with the mfg.'s ID and size) from the side list.
  3. Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. Name the drive, "MyVolume". <---- IMPORTANT!
  4. In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  5. Click on the Apply button and wait for the Done button to activate. When it does click on it.
  6. Quit Disk Utility.
IT WORKED!!! The thing is to name your drive MyVolume - because after the Terminal finished it renamed the USB drive to "Install macOS Catalina"

sergioandr.es

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2018
Code:

Thank you so much, I was able to fix my sister's adware riddled Macbook with this. These kind of bugs are so frustrating when dealing with Macs stuck with an old OS.

Reactions: Aguymac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.