Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
That is all irrelevant: whether Apple makes billions or not, keeping a product you did not pay is wrong. You can try to rationalize it all you want but it speaks to the kind of person you are. It is not because other people or corporations engage in reprehensible activities that you should do the same.

Anyway, what goes around comes around ;)
I agree... Ethics and values are going the way of the dodo bird...

Very few people have either of them anymore...

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
If Apple accidentally sent me something for free I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to keep it. They can't lecture me on ethics and morals with the stuff they've done. It's not like I'm stealing from mom and pop.
What has apple done, that is forcing you to steal.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I will be e-mailing Nothing and letting them know!
They may ask you to keep it. I had something similar happened with Wyze cam. Had an issue under warranty, they sent me two replacements. I emailed them, the customer service rep told me to keep it.

Reactions: 5105973

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
They may ask you to keep it. I had something similar happened with Wyze cam. Had an issue under warranty, they sent me two replacements. I emailed them, the customer service rep told me to keep it.
A good business would allow me to keep it. I guess I will find out when they e-mail me back.

Reactions: 5105973

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
What has apple done, that is forcing you to steal.

I see what you're trying to do by calling it stealing, but the word 'stealing' encompasses quite a lot including:

1. Sneaking something out of a store
2. Armed robbery
3. Not returning something that a company sent you accidentally

Arguably they not all the same in terms of immorality. I'm sure the law would agree here. Let's be clear, no. 3 is not like no. 1.

As to what Apple has done, there's plenty out there to read about out there. Worker conditions leading to suicides at a certain factory they used is one instance.

So if Apple sends me something by accident, I'm certainly not going to actively spend any effort making it 'right'. They made the mistake, not me.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Your thinking is flawed: moral failures of others do not entitle you to do the same. If everyone would do that, the world would be an even crappier place than it already is.

But then again, in our modern society everyone seems to know what their rights and entitlements are, moral duties… not so much.

It's entirely philosophical so you can have your own thoughts. I think your thinking is flawed.

It's easy to regurgitate 'two wrongs don't make a right', but why is necessarily true and why is it just that simple? Not all moral failures equally immoral. If someone murders my sister, would it be immoral to punch them in a fit of rage after finding out? I would argue no. Would it be immoral to kill them, probably yes.

So it's:

One of the world's richest companies, Apple, pursuing lower costs leading them to use cheap labour that ultimately causes worker abuse and suicides (and god knows however many more other issues they've had)

versus

Me not returning an iPhone that the sent me by their own mistake.

To me, it's almost satire to apply the 'two wrongs don't make a right' philosophy here.

EDIT: I didn't read your post properly sorry. Just realised that you were talking about entitlement to do something immoral back.

Again, it's not a simple answer. If Apple were to contact me to say they accidentally sent me something and would arrange to pick it up from my home then I'd be happy to oblige. However If they don't contact me, then I'm not spending any effort to contact them. If they don't offer to pick it up from my home, then I'm not spending any time to travel to the post office to send it off.

Is actively doing something to obtain a result the same as getting the same result without any effort? Knowing Apple has done immoral deeds, is it just as bad to walk into an Apple store to steal a phone as it is to receive one they sent by accident and not let them know about it?

Last edited:

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
It's entirely philosophical so you can have your own thoughts. I think your thinking is flawed.

It's easy to regurgitate 'two wrongs don't make a right', but why is necessarily true and why is it just that simple? Not all moral failures equally immoral. If someone murders my sister, would it be immoral to punch them in a fit of rage after finding out? I would argue no. Would it be immoral to kill them, probably yes.

So it's:

One of the world's richest companies, Apple, pursuing lower costs leading them to use cheap labour that ultimately causes worker abuse and suicides (and god knows however many more other issues they've had)

versus

To me, it's almost satire to apply the 'two wrongs don't make a right' philosophy here.
This is a good response but honestly I fundamentally don’t even see this as a “wrong.” Nobody (read: a human) is being harmed by me not returning a phone to Apple. A victim is required in this situation and a company that size cannot be a victim imho.

Reactions: h.gilbert

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015

So it's:

versus

Wow this thread has gone off the deep end. Can we talk about the Nothing phone (2) please. Anyone got one yet?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Wow this thread has gone off the deep end. Can we talk about the Nothing phone (2) please. Anyone got one yet?
Absolutely. It is only available via pop up and the Nothing website I think? It's on sale at carriers from next Tuesday I think.
I'm quite tempted.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
I was almost going to pull the trigger on this one for a backup... From the videos and the early reviews it looks snappy and today I was watching JerryRigEverything doing the tear down and it looks well made.... I'm not one for the lights on the back I don't think I would ever keep my phone face down... But otherwise it's kind of cool when you're taking calls and it's lighting up in the dark lol...

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Lay off the poor girl. If you got a free phone and it was no fault of your own and no one is asking for it back is a very different situation than taking something.

The end result is the same but how you got there is vastly different. I am sure the company would figure out the mistake and contact her. If they didn't contact her, then she has no obligation to return it. As it was basically an unsolicited gift. You can't send me a product and bill me for it even if I received it if I didn't order it or cancelled my order.

Of course it would be nice of her to return it but it is not her obligation so you all need to get off your high horses.

Talk about a big to do over nothing.....

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I see what you're trying to do by calling it stealing, but the word 'stealing' encompasses quite a lot including:

1. Sneaking something out of a store
2. Armed robbery
3. Not returning something that a company sent you accidentally

Arguably they not all the same in terms of immorality. I'm sure the law would agree here. Let's be clear, no. 3 is not like no. 1.

As to what Apple has done, there's plenty out there to read about out there. Worker conditions leading to suicides at a certain factory they used is one instance.

So if Apple sends me something by accident, I'm certainly not going to actively spend any effort making it 'right'. They made the mistake, not me.
Something you haven’t paid, I guess people will justify anything for lack of ethics. If Appple was indeed responsible for your allegations, law could have caught up to them.

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2017

So it's:

versus

EDIT: I didn't read your post properly sorry. Just realised that you were talking about entitlement to do something immoral back.

Again, it's not a simple answer. If Apple were to contact me to say they accidentally sent me something and would arrange to pick it up from my home then I'd be happy to oblige. However If they don't contact me, then I'm not spending any effort to contact them. If they don't offer to pick it up from my home, then I'm not spending any time to travel to the post office to send it off.

Is actively doing something to obtain a result the same as getting the same result without any effort? Knowing Apple has done immoral deeds, is it just as bad to walk into an Apple store to steal a phone as it is to receive one they sent by accident and not let them know
Your reasoning is nothing more than an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

That kind of thinking is is what is turning this world in to a pretty bad place on a continuous basis.

If Apple is such an immoral company, the solution would be to buy elsewhere, not becoming a thief yourself…

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Your reasoning is nothing more than an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

That kind of thinking is is what is turning this world in to a pretty bad place on a continuous basis.

If Apple is such an immoral company, the solution would be to buy elsewhere, not becoming a thief yourself…

Did you read my comment at all? An eye for an eye points to an equally immoral action in response. I'm saying passively not returning an accidentally delivered iPhone is not as immoral as what Apple has done.

You're simplifying what I basically just tried to expand upon.

I don't like that I support these brands that clearly use exploitation, but it's basically every major brand at this point so It's hard to avoid them while trying to live a normal life and fit in with society. Maybe I'm not upholding my values enough, I don't know. But at the end of the day if Apple sends me something by accident I most certainly and not going to help them send it back. Simplify it all you like, but that not equivalent to "an eye for an eye".

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Nothing wants me to return the phone. 🙃
Go figure? 😂 Lol.

You should ask if they gave you an extra discount for the hassle you might keep the phone? It has to cost them at least $20 to ship it back. I would ask for $60 off.

Or just send it back. Does look like a fun phone.

Reactions: drinkingtea

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I ended up unboxing the Phone (2) since I am very curious about it still. Some thoughts:

- It's incredibly smooth; it did not heat up at all while everything was downloading
- I love NothingOS. It removes some Pixel frustrations. I especially love the lock screen widgets
- Nothing uses AccuWeather as its weather source and I find it quite inaccurate, so I turned it off. I wish Nothing would allow us to use Google as a source instead (or other sources)
- The haptics feel very cheap

And, lastly, I love the glyphs. I actually have my phone on its face often, so the glyphs are very helpful. If I did not have my S23U, I would keep this as my side Android.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Go figure? 😂 Lol.

You should ask if they gave you an extra discount for the hassle you might keep the phone? It has to cost them at least $20 to ship it back. I would ask for $60 off.

Or just send it back. Does look like a fun phone.

I actually straight-up told them about the U.S.'s consumer law (Americans have the legal right to keep an item a company mistakingly sends them), and I asked them if they would honor this. If they say no, I will ship it back to them and ask them to cover the shipping costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.