Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Here we go again, everyone... I haven't talked much about it, but if you've picked up on it through my post history, I'm obviously addicted to buying smartphones. :p I've probably bought just about every flagship this year. After selling off the Razr I told myself that I'd stick with the iPhone 14 Pro (... which I sold and grabbed a cheap 13 mini to use until the 15 Pro is released). I knew I didn't want another Pixel, I strongly dislike One UI, so Samsung is out of the picture, and the Razr checked a lot of the boxes, but I'm not sold on the foldable form factor yet. I have the Nothing Phone 2 arriving tomorrow. A few months back, I owned a Nothing Phone 1 which was fun and different. I'm excited to jump into the Nothing Phone 2. Flossy Carter (my favorite tech reviewer on YT) seemed to really like it, so his stamp of approval made me buy it. I'm excited.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Here we go again, everyone... I haven't talked much about it, but if you've picked up on it through my post history, I'm obviously addicted to buying smartphones. :p I've probably bought just about every flagship this year. After selling off the Razr I told myself that I'd stick with the iPhone 14 Pro (... which I sold and grabbed a cheap 13 mini to use until the 15 Pro is released). I knew I didn't want another Pixel, I strongly dislike One UI, so Samsung is out of the picture, and the Razr checked a lot of the boxes, but I'm not sold on the foldable form factor yet. I have the Nothing Phone 2 arriving tomorrow. A few months back, I owned a Nothing Phone 1 which was fun and different. I'm excited to jump into the Nothing Phone 2. Flossy Carter (my favorite tech reviewer on YT) seemed to really like it, so his stamp of approval made me buy it. I'm excited.
Hey that’s awesome! I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

If I had the time to play around with a phone I’d get one of the Razrs. That’s for nostalgia because I had wanted the original when my niece let me take a look at her Razr.

I have just enough leisure time for some tv in the evenings with my husband right now. I’m just using my 12 Pro Max in a very boring utilitarian way. I’m not even doing my usual summer switch to one of my small phones. If I’m not carrying the 12 Pro Max I’m wearing my Apple Watch to get texts. Blah.

Reactions: three and Bkdodger

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
After using this NP2 for a few days I have to say I find it to be pretty darn good.
From a use perspective - easy to use and comfortable in hand, here are my last 6 devices, current use and how I rate them.
  1. Galaxy S23 Ultra (main)
  2. Nothing Phone 2 (test device)
  3. Lenovo ThinkPhone (work)
  4. iPhone 13 ProMax (test device)
  5. OnePlus 10 Pro (gifted)
  6. OnePlus 9 Pro (gifted)
So far I have not found anything really negative about the NP2. It is solid.
Well, other than I would like a minimal impact case that still shows off the back.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
After using this NP2 for a few days I have to say I find it to be pretty darn good.
From a use perspective - easy to use and comfortable in hand, here are my last 6 devices, current use and how I rate them.
Well, other than I would like a minimal impact case that still shows off the back.

Of the two, S23U or NP2, which would you keep as a daily driver?

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
In the past I tried Nexus phones a couple of times and gave up due to not so ready for primetime apps and overall dodgy OS stability.

I went down the Android rabbit hole after finally ditching iPhone 8 Plus (and had them since 3gs):

Pixel 4a
Pixel 4a 5g (briefly, until idiotic Google would not honor the $200 discount offer on their bloody website)
OnePlus 8 (impressive overall though hated the curved screen)
Pixel 6 256GB (not impressed at all- screen and fonts were disappointing, crappy radio, lame battery charging, etc.)
OnePlus 8T on US Mobile 5g (T-mobile) which has been awesome other than the USB-C port is getting finicky

Either going with Pixel 8 or NP 2 most likely.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
It arrived yesterday! I've been tinkering and playing around with it, installing and setting up applications and playing around with the tweaking the software to my liking. I haven't moved my Google Fi SIM over to it, yet, I need to grab a SIM kit from Best Buy to swap back to a physical SIM from the eSIM that I'm using. At this time, I don't have too much more to say about it, it'll change when I start using the phone daily. I like the idea of the glyph interface, but, when do I have my phone sitting with the display down?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
How would you rate the cameras? I know people have different prefernces on phones.
After user experince, i value the camera on smartphones pretty highly.

Which one would like to have with you when you need to get that one in a million shot?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
It arrived yesterday! I've been tinkering and playing around with it, installing and setting up applications and playing around with the tweaking the software to my liking. I haven't moved my Google Fi SIM over to it, yet, I need to grab a SIM kit from Best Buy to swap back to a physical SIM from the eSIM that I'm using. At this time, I don't have too much more to say about it, it'll change when I start using the phone daily. I like the idea of the glyph interface, but, when do I have my phone sitting with the display down?

I have found I can set the glyphs as my notification/call alert. Kind of cool once you get used to it. The fact it silences the phone is a nice touch.

Reactions: three

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
How would you rate the cameras? I know people have different prefernces on phones.
After user experince, i value the camera on smartphones pretty highly.

Which one would like to have with you when you need to get that one in a million shot?

The camera is pretty good. Did a good job taking photos of an incoming monsoon event. Did surprisingly well catching a hummingbird in flight. The lack of a 3x+ telephoto option is a miss.

For that one in a mill shot, whatever I had at hand! ;) Premonition wise I would love to have my DSLR. Outside of that I would take the S23U. I do a lot of RAW photos and the S23U is better.

Of my list of 6 from above, I’d rate the NP2 third with the S23U first and the 13 ProMax second.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I really love the glyph interface because I often have my phone face down, especially when I am studying. I have an essential notification glyph on and the only time I know that I really need to pick up the N(2) is when that light is on. Otherwise, I am more relaxed while studying knowing I am not missing anything too important.

I also have my SIM in my iPhone, so I get notifications that way as well (I have beeper on my P(2), so I can text from it whenever).

Overall, I really love this phone. The Lock Screen widgets are so useful.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I really love the glyph interface because I often have my phone face down, especially when I am studying. I have an essential notification glyph on and the only time I know that I really need to pick up the N(2) is when that light is on. Otherwise, I am more relaxed while studying knowing I am not missing anything too important.

I also have my SIM in my iPhone, so I get notifications that way as well (I have beeper on my P(2), so I can text from it whenever).

Overall, I really love this phone. The Lock Screen widgets are so useful.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I haven't been able to grab the SIM and make the switch, yet, but I've been tinkering and using it around the house while doing my day off routine of cleaning / laundry / errands. As you've said, I've grown to really appreciate the lock screen widgets, it's an excellent feature for space that would otherwise be blank. I'll be digging deeper into the glyph system and especially that essential notification feature, that looks perfect!

Reactions: dk001

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience! I haven't been able to grab the SIM and make the switch, yet, but I've been tinkering and using it around the house while doing my day off routine of cleaning / laundry / errands. As you've said, I've grown to really appreciate the lock screen widgets, it's an excellent feature for space that would otherwise be blank. I'll be digging deeper into the glyph system and especially that essential notification feature, that looks perfect!
For sure! I am on Verizon, so unfortunately, the P(2) does not have the requisite bands for Verizon, so I can't use the P(2) as an actual phone, which sucks.

• Sad

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I have mine set only for my Proton email and it is working.
Stays on till I actually go in and read the email.
Does it also stay on when you have the phone face up? My Essential Glyph worked once and now it does not work at all for any app.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Is anyone using a Nothing Phone (2)? If so, how do you like it?

Using it along with my S23 Ultra as my main.
Really enjoying it. Enjoying the glyphs more than I thought.

Ergo it is a close second to the s23U. Fits well and everything is designed to be easily used and easily reachable.
I have had no app issues and everything has been working well. I have had surprisingly few bugs.
Much better and very well designed.

If you are looking for a high end mid level device I would definitely recommend it.

Reactions: drinkingtea

sadish

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Is anyone using a Nothing Phone (2)? If so, how do you like it?
Yes I am using one.
It is absolutely fantastic phone. I went to Nothing phone 1 from an iPhone 14 pro. After 3 months with Nothing Phone 1, I jumped into Nothing phone 2.
It has a brighter display, faster processor. Clean UI. Fully customizable look and feel, always on display and widgets for lockscreen.
Curved backside that makes it easy to hold.
Just added a magnetic sticker from Amazon to the back of the phone https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WYBFHP2 so I get to use all of my magsafe accessories and chargers. There are also magsafe cases for this phone in Amazon.
It is a delight to use this phone, and you will start to love it more as you use the phone.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
For those still interested, I thought I would drop a quick update and thoughts on the Nothing Phone 2 after using it for a while.

I have two phones with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chip in it. Thinkphone by Lenovo/Motorola and the Nothing Phone 2. After using both for a bit now I can state that the NP2 is faster, snappier, and has better battery life. Hats off to the NP2. :)

Daily use and ergonomics, I like to compare the NP2 to my iPhone 13 ProMax. The NP2 is lighter, fits better in the palm, and is just as easy to use one handed. Call it a win for the NP2 just for the ergo.

Then there are the glyphs. ;) I have been approached quite a few times by someone asking about the case for my NP2 as I would have it face down and get a txt or other alert. Are they surprised when they find out it is the phone and not a case! 😁

Despite all the good I have just laid out for the NP2, it does have a couple of shortcomings; camera and accessories. The camera really could have used even a 3x zoom lens. It isn’t bad as cameras go, however I feel based on everyday use this was a miss. A 3x or thereabouts zoom is something I use frequently. For accessories, might be just because it is new and is not a big name, it just is tough finding decent quality cases, wallets, screen protectors, and other such items for this device. They are growing so there is hope. If you dig you can find a number of NP2 items but there are more “it will work with” instead of “designed for NP2”. Makes a difference. I have a couple of light weight cases on order - an Aramid CF coming today :).

If you are hesitant to lay out the over $1K for a new device, I would heartily recommend taking a look at the NP2. I am looking forward to see what else Nothing comes out with. Nice job CP and crew.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.