Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New York City has decided to ban TikTok from city-owned devices used by NYC employees, reports The Verge. The New York City Cyber Command said that TikTok is a "security threat to the city's technical networks."

tiktok-logo.jpg

City employees are no longer allowed to download or use the TikTok app on city-owned devices, and they are also not allowed to access the TikTok website. New York state previously banned TikTok on state-issued devices, but some employees were still able to use it for marketing purposes.
"While social media is great at connecting New Yorkers with one another and the city, we have to ensure we are always using these platforms in a secure manner," a NYC City Hall spokesperson said in a statement to The Verge Wednesday. "NYC Cyber Command regularly explores and advances proactive measures to keep New Yorkers' data safe."
U.S. government officials have been backing legislation that would result in a nationwide TikTok ban. There are concerns that U.S. TikTok data is stored in China, though TikTok owner ByteDance has said that is not the case.

As of earlier this year, TikTok is not allowed on federal devices and systems in the United States. The UK, European Union, Canada, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, and numerous other U.S. states also prohibit TikTok on government devices. Montana has gone as far as banning TikTok downloads and usage statewide, but TikTok has sued the state.

Article Link: NYC Bans TikTok on All City-Owned Devices

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
it's such a sideshow citing 'security' as the only concern with TikTok.

No its that they're demoralizing the public across the West, willfully, and in China they're getting engineering tips, and how to improve work ethic, and all kinds of other productive things whereas here we're being taught how to self destruct essentially

But yeah-- security is a problem too

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Can someone explain to me how TikTok is any worse than Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc etc?

It goes through the Apple review process. Apple restricts the data that TikTok can access without proper permissions via their API's and sandboxing.

It's an app to watch people make stupid 30 second videos.

It collects data on what you watch, your IP, email addresses, etc, just like all the other social media apps.

Where is the real threat here that's different than Facebook? Or is this just ignorance and Chinese fear mongering?

(Side note: I've been an iOS app developer myself for 15 years now)

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
They’ll keep ignoring how ByteDance have transformed their backend to keep US TikTok data in the US. Remember this is not actually about security concerns with the CPC spying, they just don’t like a Chinese company dominating the gen Z social media market without some formal connection to the state department like Zuck has.

If China have the capability to verify and trust that Apple keeps Chinese iCloud data in mainland China then how come we don’t have the ability to ensure US TikTok data stays here? 🤔

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
What is the definition of fascism agin :rolleyes:
So the city providing city owned devices to employees shouldn't be allowed to dictate what is allowed on those devices? OK

It's wild to me that these devices are even allowed to access social media at all, unless its part of the job requirement such as a social media manager.

I'd like my train, subway and bus driver to concentrate on diving.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Still think its bs.... if your gonna scrutinize the data that TikTok collects then you need to do the same with facebook, snap, twitter or X 😂, instagram, threads, etc.
This is about government-owned devices though.

Personally, I don't think any apps should be on your government provided work device(s) except for what's needed to do your job.

For your personal device, that's a different story.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
So the city providing city owned devices to employees shouldn't be allowed to dictate what is allowed on those devices? OK

It's wild to me that these devices are even allowed to access social media at all, unless its part of the job requirement such as a social media manager.

I'd like my train, subway and bus driver to concentrate on diving.
Basically tik tok, and for that matter facebook et al, shouldn’t be on any business device public or private sector

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Best news ever! This should be applied everywhere. I hate TikTok!
"I hate TikTok. Therefore, no one should be able to use it because I said so."

:rolleyes:

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
it's such a sideshow citing 'security' as the only concern with TikTok.

No its that they're demoralizing the public across the West, willfully, and in China they're getting engineering tips, and how to improve work ethic, and all kinds of other productive things whereas here we're being taught how to self destruct essentially

But yeah-- security is a problem too

That’s because the Chinese people complained about social media being a corrupting force and so the CPC tried to do something about it. It was all done out in the open with the consent and blessing of the public there. Thats basically how everything works in China, everything is transparent and accountable. When something is acting as a corrupting force, it gets stomped out.

We don’t have that law, culture, government, or standard for accountability so why should ByteDance compromise the stickiness of their algorithm to no longer reflect what Americans care about? They’re a business like everyone else right? Why don’t we ask for similar law to be passed like the Chinese did? The garbage that gets promoted on social media speaks to a deeper sickness in our society/culture that predates TikTok. Zoomers my age were already being exposed to this kinda demoralizing content on Facebook and Insta long before TikTok. If you want to go to the source go look at the advertising industry from literally half a century ago.

If it’s the fault of social media companies “willfully” promoting bad content in the west then we should start with Zuckerberg because he popularized and normalized social media for the young generation. ByteDance were simply late to the party but had a more potent formula.

It’s our fault, we are the only people to blame and the only people responsible for fixing it.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
I think the security risk in a traditional sense might be overblown.

The argument can be made that any information put out by a foreign power to influence thought within a country can be classified as a security risk.

Pushing specific channels and ads to people is probably less subtle compared to dropping leaflets from a plane on a local population, but its along the same line of information control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.