Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripsync

Suspended
Apr 24, 2023
So the city providing city owned devices to employees shouldn't be allowed to dictate what is allowed on those devices? OK

It's wild to me that these devices are even allowed to access social media at all, unless its part of the job requirement such as a social media manager.

I'd like my train, subway and bus driver to concentrate on diving.

i don't care for tiktok but, like you said, it feels like if they're going to ban tiktok, they should probably be banning most social media platforms unless the device is used by a social media person.

to single out tiktok is odd.

Kkspire

macrumors regular
May 19, 2016
Great. Can we get a country wide ban now? It’s a Chinese product not even available in China. You need no more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: PantherKang

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
In honesty unless your job requires it I don’t see why any device owned by your employer should have social media on it.

My employer allows WhatsApp as it’s a communication tool on our phones. No Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Threads, TikTok etc is allowed.

I’ve heard it explained that work phones are for work use not leisure which I think is fair enough.

If your employer is expecting you to pay for your own mobile devices that are for work purpose however I say have a blast

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Great.

Great. Can we get a country wide ban now? It’s a Chinese product not even available in China. You need no more information.

A lot of apps/products aren't available in China. Pretty much anything that lets the populace have unfettered access to political or social information. Not being available in China does not indicate a problematic app. It just indicates an app the Chinese government doesn't have enough control over. Seems to me if the Chinese government has as much control over the data in TikTok as people fear, they wouldn't have a problem with it running there.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Well China could not get their chips into peoples handsets to mine data; so they just built software to do it instead. Good on NYC.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Kudos to the government for protecting us! They always know what's best for us!
They're protecting themselves. This is only about government issued devices. I assume most people have their own phone so they won't miss a frame of their favorite videos.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Still think its bs.... if your gonna scrutinize the data that TikTok collects then you need to do the same with facebook, snap, twitter or X 😂, instagram, threads, etc.
I agree and disagree. Which one of these companies is owned and operated by a Chinese company who gives the Chinese government access to user's personal information to use for Nefarious and criminal activities?

• Haha

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
They’re within their rights to ban it from government owned devices, they can do as they please, but a ban from personal devices as many in this thread are suggesting would be complete goverment overreach.

If Twitter hadn’t stupidly killed off Vine we probably never would have been in this situation in the first place. As it stands, the people like it and there is no direct American competitor.

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
Still think its bs.... if your gonna scrutinize the data that TikTok collects then you need to do the same with facebook, snap, twitter or X 😂, instagram, threads, etc.
Yes. I’m glad to hear you support doing it everywhere. I concur.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
It should be banned from everywhere , I hate it

Oh! Do we all get to ban things from everywhere we don't like? Because I've got a list. I've always thought we had a choice to personally not use the optional things we don't like, but if we're advocating for a society where we can force everyone else to also not use a thing I don't like, where do we start that process?

Reactions: zach-coleman

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
My reaction to this and every other story about official government devices forbidding Tic Tok is this: Why were they allowing this or any other social media application on these devices in the first place? Where I work would have never allowed these apps to begin with. This is theater: This should have never been on these devices to begin with, and not just Tic Tok, but really any of these apps should not be on an official device unless the purpose of that device is explicitly for Social Media Management for the organization.

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
I could be wrong but I think the person you replied to was referring to the potential nationwide ban, not the banning on government devices.
In the event that this happens, I will work harder than I used to back in the day to get pirated content in order to have TikTok working flawlessly on my device. I’m sure they’ll try to make it hard for us but I’ll run it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
lol oh boy this is going to get interesting.
Yeah like who’s the lame failing Security Officer of NYC MDM managed devices that did NOT iN THE FIRST PLACE restrict against ALL social Media and video streaming (consumer focused) devices in the very FIRST place?!

I’ve worked at 3 mining corporations and 2 financial corporations all global and every one of them from moving BlackBerry OS devices to iOS and Android had restricted these from the very beginning on corporate paid and sourced devices. It’s part of the mom profile settings. Avoiding lack of productivity and focus and leaking of corporate data into a cluster-bunk of junk onto the internet.

Sorry but I fail to understand the lack of common sense by government services deployed or managed devices on this aspect.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
They’re less concerned about US companies, given they have jurisdiction over them.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Oh! Do we all get to ban things from everywhere we don't like? Because I've got a list. I've always thought we had a choice to personally not use the optional things we don't like, but if we're advocating for a society where we can force everyone else to also not use a thing I don't like, where do we start that process?
I like Dick the Butcher's idea from Henry VI, part 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.