Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
This sparks Joy. Facebook should be next as it’s trying to gather every single information about you and topics of talk around you (if not blocked ;P)

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Basically tik tok, and for that matter facebook et al, shouldn’t be on any business device public or private sector
Yep except on the devices that are specifically designed to use those platforms to get information to the general public.

We live in a time when getting info to the public is done through these channels, alongside text updates and phone calls etc.

The LIRR or MTA regularly puts out updates about track problems, delays, rerouting and accidents across the top socials. I see that as a good thing.

But if its not your job to provide that info then the social platform shouldn't be on your work device.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
What is the definition of fascism agin :rolleyes:
How is this fascism? They're city owned devices used by city employees. This would be no different than, for example, Walmart banning TikTok from the devices their employees use.

On the other hand, you can make an argument that a federal TikTok ban, which is being considered, infringes on first amendment rights. But NYC is acting as an employer in this scenario.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Yep except on the devices that are specifically designed to use those platforms to get information to the general public.

We live in a time when getting info to the public is done through these channels, alongside text updates and phone calls etc.

The LIRR or MTA regularly puts out updates about track problems, delays, rerouting and accidents across the top socials. I see that as a good thing.

But if its not your job to provide that info then the social platform shouldn't be on your work device.
You can usually use a desktop with appropriate controls though.

Anyway I’m in the UK so nothing to do with me 😊

• Haha
Reactions: surfzen21

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Decades in future we will all be telling our grand kids.. that this logo was the symbol of cringe.

giphy.gif
That bottom part DOES look like a c… and the top part DOES look like a lowercase r…

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
This legislation is about city employees using city-owned devices.
Wait, I get it, millions of the youth are probably primarily looking to go viral among NYC owned devices. I’m SURE I’ve heard the youths clamoring for that “NYC spice”. I’m certain that’s what they call it. LOL

Now, they’re being unfairly cut off from that font of clout! Who will think of (the ‘likes’ of) the children!!?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
So the city providing city owned devices to employees shouldn't be allowed to dictate what is allowed on those devices? OK

It's wild to me that these devices are even allowed to access social media at all, unless its part of the job requirement such as a social media manager.

I'd like my train, subway and bus driver to concentrate on diving.
I could be wrong but I think the person you replied to was referring to the potential nationwide ban, not the banning on government devices.

I agree with you, though, I find it strange that government employees were ever allowed to download social media to their government issued devices.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
So the city providing city owned devices to employees shouldn't be allowed to dictate what is allowed on those devices? OK

It's wild to me that these devices are even allowed to access social media at all, unless its part of the job requirement such as a social media manager.

I'd like my train, subway and bus driver to concentrate on diving.

I definitely want my drivers to be concentrating on diving, too. ;)

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Wait, I get it, millions of the youth are probably primarily looking to go viral among NYC owned devices. I’m SURE I’ve heard the youths clamoring for that “NYC spice”. I’m certain that’s what they call it. LOL

Now, they’re being unfairly cut off from that font of clout! Who will think of (the ‘likes’ of) the children!!?
Last viral moment, fake PS5 giveaway, turned into a riot at either Union or Washington Square Park. :confused:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Just tiktok? City owned devices should be blocking basically everything that is not a city system or approved internet resource.

Reactions: martint235

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
This is a good move. Why should tax payers money be used to provide devices for anyone working on tax payer's money and they could potentially be just sitting there wasting time watching videos for hours and hours on the tax payer's dime.

• Haha
Reactions: PantherKang

xander49x

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
world
You can't stop people for using TikTok on their personal devices, Montana has lost their minds that would be illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
The problem isn’t TicTok; it’s China. The West is so reliant on the communist regime that we are effectively impotent at stopping their march towards world economic, military and strategic domination.

This is why Taiwan independence is so important.

TicTok, as well as other companies, including Apple, are required to share user data with the Chinese government which provides even greater data collection on American’s choice for content consumption. This allows influence through content creation. It further gives TicTok the ability to change suggestion algorithms to benefit the desires of the “evil empire”.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.