Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
We're concerned about TikTok maybe stealing sensitive data, whilst we know Meta is. It's odd to ban TikTok but not Facebook. But I guess China is bad eh.

Anyway, this is about city owned devices. Those should be for work only. Ban all social media on them.
I'm surprised Apple even allows these devices in the iOS App Store. I guess too many users would throw a fit otherwise?

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
Can someone explain to me how TikTok is any worse than Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc etc?

It goes through the Apple review process. Apple restricts the data that TikTok can access without proper permissions via their API's and sandboxing.

It's an app to watch people make stupid 30 second videos.

It collects data on what you watch, your IP, email addresses, etc, just like all the other social media apps.

Where is the real threat here that's different than Facebook? Or is this just ignorance and Chinese fear mongering?

(Side note: I've been an iOS app developer myself for 15 years now)
It took a five second google search to answer your first sentence. Far less time then you took to post multiple questions about something you couldn't be bothered to research the answers to.

4odomi

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2018
I think it's the stupidest and most harmful app in the world, however, It's a pretty ineffective ban, the ones that want to use it will just get a second phone.
Also any social media app should be banned on a work phone, everywhere, that's just common sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: PantherKang

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
This is about government-owned devices though.

Personally, I don't think any apps should be on your government provided work device(s) except for what's needed to do your job.

For your personal device, that's a different story.
There’s a couple other categories you missed other than personal use of work devices

1) anywhere BYOD might be allowed/encouraged. These arent explicitly city owned devices but will probably have this applied as policy updates on the MDM rules that are likely pushed

2) the professional uses of social media. Many if not all city agencies have social media presences, that is everything from the sanitation dept posting about alternate side parking to the parks dept posting videos of animals and foliage to promotion of city events to official channels of communication to etc

So the end result of 2 is there’s lots of city employees with *work related* social media apps on their work devices

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
When is MacRumors adding short form videos with dancing girls?
Has anyone on here ever actually used Tik Tok? I see maybe one video of a dancing girl a week.
I use it daily.

Like you, I don't really see many dancing girls. Depends a lot on the types of videos you watch to completion/repeatedly, the videos you comment on, search for, etc.

Consequently, a lot of the clips I see are crafting (restoration of really old objects, etc), musical creators, gaming (seems to be a focus on things like d&d atm), animal rescue places, cool nature things, etc.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The point is to cut off the source of generating unlimited New data. What they have is what they have, but we can stop them from having more.

Reactions: Eldaerenth Faexidor

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Employer provided phone, most likely at no cost - surprised they let TikTok and other social Messi’s crap apps onto their phones in the first place

Reactions: Chuckeee

Powerguru

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Why would have TikTok on city devices in first place??? It’s like installing TikTok on an office device. This is another “we are taking a stance” by politicians. Such a shallow move.
Hope people can see right through this. But there are lots of people who live by headlines in that CNN and MSNBC world.
Ban phones in school during class.

Reactions: Chuckeee

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Why would have TikTok on city devices in first place??? It’s like installing TikTok on an office device. This is another “we are taking a stance” by politicians. Such a shallow move.
Hope people can see right through this. But there are lots of people who live by headlines in that CNN and MSNBC world.
Ban phones in school during class.
you know there are official city presences on social media platforms, right? You have to communicate with your citizens on the platforms they actually use

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Still think its bs.... if your gonna scrutinize the data that TikTok collects then you need to do the same with facebook, snap, twitter or X 😂, instagram, threads, etc.

Agreed. Ban all Social Networks during WORK HOURS. After all, unless you work at one of these Social Networks companies you are wasting your employer's time and perhaps you'll get your work done sooner. Go SN till you're blue in the face, on your own time.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Potentially, but I think the security risk in a traditional sense might be overblown.

The argument can be made that any information put out by a foreign power to influence thought within a country can be classified as a security risk.

Pushing specific channels and ads to people is probably less subtle compared to dropping leaflets from a plane on a local population, but its along the same line of information control.
Loving the pamphlets and leaflets analogy! Brings quite a practical and plausible perspective to all of this (as WWI and WWII propaganda wars, but the digital version).

• Love
Reactions: surfzen21

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Incredible that so many people don’t understand that the biggest danger isn’t collecting data but the inverse flow of information.

Tik Tok controls the algorithm — in other words, it controls what information is consumed by the youngest generation of Americans.

There have been studies that demonstrate that social feeds on US social media are tuned to generate anger and conflict, which we’ve all seen (and participated in) in comments. In China, their social media is tuned to keep people happy and content.

I’ll let you connect the dots.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Agreed. Ban all Social Networks during WORK HOURS. After all, unless you work at one of these Social Networks companies you are wasting your employer's time and perhaps you'll get your work done sooner. Go SN till you're blue in the face, on your own time.
Meh. The solution is shorter workdays. A lot of office workers can do the day's work in 3-5 hours. Forcing them to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours means they will have 3-5 hours of nothing to do. They turned to social media to appear busy while not doing any work.

Reactions: seek3r
Aug 30, 2022
Incredible that so many people don’t understand that the biggest danger isn’t collecting data but the inverse flow of information.

Tik Tok controls the algorithm — in other words, it controls what information is consumed by the youngest generation of Americans.

There have been studies that demonstrate that social feeds on US social media are tuned to generate anger and conflict, which we’ve all seen (and participated in) in comments. In China, their social media is tuned to keep people happy and content.

I’ll let you connect the dots.
How generous of you for letting me connect the dots..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.