Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Well over the summer I bought a 17" powerbook for school and now that Im here Ive decided that I want to bring my powerbook to class but its HUGE. Im so pissed right now. I thought forever about what I was going to get and I fell in live with the 17", and now that Im here I totally regret it because of sheer funtionality. I feel like I have the worst of both worlds. Too big for class yet small 17" screen vs other desktop moniters. Can I sell it and get close to what I bought it for? If so I deffinatley think Im going to switch to a 12" with 20" acd. Do you guys think this is smart or am I being impulsive? Can I sell it to apple and get store credit? Like where do they get their refurbs from? or is ebay my best bet? thanks.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You are going to take a loss whatever you do... and if you are that anxious, your gonna lose a lot.

Post your specs and see if you get a bite

Heck, I'll take it off your hands if you want to get rid of it

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
If you bought it for school and its lack of portability is interfering with its intent, then you've got to figure something out.

Either find a way to make carrying it less of a pain or just sell it, buy a smaller laptop (w/ an external display) and be happy, even with a loss of power and/or money.

Personally, the 15" Powerbook + 20" Dell 2005FPW is the sweet spot for me. Only thing I'd change is to add a dual G5 for some of the heavier rendering jobs.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
the specs of my power book are in my sig. It is perfectly new. Doesnt contain a single blemish. what do you think I can get for it?

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Buy another one. You'll never have more access to "cash" than you will as a student -- i.e. liquidate your student loans.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
I got a 17" PB and take it to my Uni all the time. I don't use it in class much simply because there isn't a use for it in the classroom. But when I am just sitting in the lounge or in the cafe waiting for my next class (which can be a few hours) I use it all the time there.

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Dude! Sell the 17" and get the 15". You'll be totally happy you did. You have all the function of the 17", and I have found the the 15" is actually MORE portable the the 12" (don't know why). Also you cana barely tell lthe difference in the size of the screen. THE 15" IS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Rob587 said:
the specs of my power book are in my sig. It is perfectly new. Doesnt contain a single blemish. what do you think I can get for it?
You can sell the 17" Powerbook, replace it with an equally-spec'd 12" or 15" Powerbook, add a 20" Dell LCD, and come pretty close to breaking even.

ibglowin

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
I've been watching all things Apple on ebay for some time as I want to upgrade my Powerbook and Powermac G4. If your stuff is in good condition and relatively new (and you have all the boxes) it seems like you can get close to what you paid for it even if its a year old. You may take a little hit in the pocketbook but if you really want to switch to that TINY 12" PB you shouldn't lose too much.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Im curious as to how the 15" is more portable than a 12"? also, Im not so sure about going to a 15". that seems like downgrading the situation.?

itsbetteronamac said:
Dude! Sell the 17" and get the 15". You'll be totally happy you did. You have all the function of the 17", and I have found the the 15" is actually MORE portable the the 12" (don't know why). Also you cana barely tell lthe difference in the size of the screen. THE 15" IS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!

Is second that motion!!!

I have a 15" TiBook and my friend has a 17" Alu, my TiBook is much more portable, and it has the right ratios.

Jesus

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Rob587 said:
Im curious as to how the 15" is more portable than a 12"? also, Im not so sure about going to a 15". that seems like downgrading the situation.?

If that's downgrading, then going from a 17" to a 12" is even more of a downgrade. :rolleyes:

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i'm in high school, i use my 12" all the time in class, i think its great but i feel that for some stuff it just doesn't cut it. if i were you i'd go with a 15"

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
If I were you i would "downgreade" to a 15" PowerBook. Get the same specs as the 17" so you're not loosing any power. And then get a 20" Dell if you have enough money. ;)

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Rob587 said:
is 2" really enough to go and sell my computer and buy a new one? would that really solve things?

NO.

Unless you're rich like Paris Hilton or something, you will get used to viewing the 17 for movies and you'll get used to carrying it to class even though it's too big. Nice conversation piece too. "Wow Robby! You're machine is so big!" :p

It's a great lappy, so just enjoy it unless you can burn money. (my 2 cents)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Man, I would get the 12".....it's so easy to be portable and then at home, just hook it to a monitor.

Although, I shouldn't say anything because I think the 14" iBook is way to big!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i have the 15"pb.

-if i could i would go with a 12" ibook and a 20inch imac.

-alternative is a 12"PB and 20" dell screen.

but i would not downgrade from a 17" to a 15". that's only hlaf the way. since you have almost the same speed and a 20" monitor at home the 12"pb or 12"ibook is good enough on the go.

i'd go with the first option if you can afford that.

macer1

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2004
saskatoon
lol ill trade you my 12 inch powerbook for your 17 inch AND Ill pay for the shipping.

the 17 inch powerbook is PUREPWNAGE. DONT SELL OR TRADE, YOU WILL WANT TO SHOOT YOURSELF AFTER. get use to it the 17 inch is OWNAGE. plus the resale value compaired to the 12 or even the 15 will be MUCH MORE down the road.

keep the 17 and kiss it before you goto bed every night.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
except that i know at my school the 17" would not fit on the desks and would get knocked off, hell even the 15" would not fit on the desk.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
How about a 12" iBook and a 20"iMac.

iBook is certainly enough for on campus....almost comparable to current PB, and then you get a G5 to work on at home....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.