Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
umm, my opinion would be to get used to the 17"

BUT

You wouldn't have posted this thread if that's what you planned or wanted to hear. You should get about $2000-$2100USD on eBay. That should definately cover a new 12" Powerbook... even if you want a Superdrive. You might have enough to get a separate monitor, depends on how you option ur 12" and what you actually get for the 17".

Well, thats what ur looking at right now... It sucks when you missjudge how portable something is.

I am planning on getting a 15" for college in '06, right about when the inteleron's come out.........

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
im a big portability fan. so i say sell it and go for the 12" youll probably lose a little money in selling it, but you should get a pretty good amount for it. apples tend to hold their value for a long time. especially if you havent done any physical damage to the laptop. i love my 12" pb for taking to class, then i hook it up to a 20" dell when i get back to the apt.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
oh for the love of god you're a student - just get a 12" iBook...

Let's look at what you lose:
1) illuminated keyboard: meaningless unless you have to look at the keyboard when you type.
2) Audio-in port: Unless you are radio or video than this is meaningless. The built in microphone is just fine.
3) 300mhz - point taken... That's about an 18% hit. Meaningful? Yes. Monumental? Far from it.
4)VRAM: The VRAM is in there to drive the DVI out. Unless you are playing lots of games, which seems rather unlikely since there are only like 4 games available for mac, VRAM is meaningless. My brand new ibook runs coreimage effects just as beautifully as the old 64mb vram one.
5)Keyboard isn't as good on iBook: This is the only feature that really made me balk. If apple hadn't made the new ibook's keyboards significantly better than the old ones then I don't think i could have done it.

Now lets look at what you gain:
1) 2 hours of battery life: In my experience my ibook gets about twice as much life off of one charge. I can take it anywhere and feel confident that i don't need to lug my charger along with me because I probably am not gonna be using it for more than the 4 1/2 hours that I seem to average on a single charge. The Powerbook would get 2 1/2 hours of life on average. This is a huge difference in terms of functionality.
2) The case: a more durable case that you can just toss in your backpack and run. You can drop it and it won't dent. It's plastic!
3)LESS HEAT: If you're a college student and a regular computer user then there are times when you just wnat to sit down with your LAPtop on your lap. The powerbooks all get uncomfortably hot after about 1/2 hour of usage. This is impractical and heavily impedes the functionality of your computer. The iBook does get hot, but not 1/2 as hot as the powerbook.
4) Price: That 17"er probably cost you like 2600 after tax and upgrades. Drop a 100gig hd in the ibook and you're still only at like 1200 after tax. This puts at least $1400 back in your pocket. that's a ton of cash!

Powerbooks are popular because they are super cool looking and because they have certain features like audio in and dvi out that are only relevant to professionals in certain specific areas. No offense to any powerbook owners here, but a lot of people buy them because they are a status symbol. If you're a businessman and you have a pretty laptop it's like being well dressed. It makes you look more serious and gets you more respect.

You are a college student. You don't have to buy (pun intended) into that world just yet. Go with functionality. You'll have a computer that suits your needs and that you don't have to stress about because you didn't invest a fortune in it and it isn't nearly as easily damaged. Trust me, unless you are a really vain person, and your complaints about the size of the 17" pb suggest you aren't, the ibook is perfect.

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
Rob587 said:
is 2" really enough to go and sell my computer and buy a new one? would that really solve things?

It's really not just a 2" difference in size. Think of it as more like 60 square inches in overall bulk. I personally have a 15" Titanium and had the opportunity to use a new 12" PowerBook for a couple weeks. I honestly didn't feel like I was looking at a tiny screen. All I thought was "man, this is REALLY portable!"

I think the 17s are just too inconvenient in size. Ebay it and get yourself a 12 or a 15. That and a 20" Cinema Display is a sweet combo. You may take a small hit, but hey, it's not the end of the world and probably not the last time that will happen to you :) I say that based on personal experience!

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
If I was in your situation, I would sell it for around $2,200 - 2,500, pick up the 12" PB as well as the 20" Apple Cinema Display. You then have an awesome combo man...

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
macer1 said:
the 17 inch powerbook is PUREPWNAGE. DONT SELL OR TRADE, YOU WILL WANT TO SHOOT YOURSELF AFTER. get use to it the 17 inch is OWNAGE. plus the resale value compaired to the 12 or even the 15 will be MUCH MORE down the road.

I have a hard time believing that the 12 would lose more value than the 17. It would obviously be worth less, but you paid less. Also, I don't think stuff like "PUREPWNAGE, OWNAGE, YOU WILL SHOOT YOURSELF" is really advice. Lets try and keep stuff constructive here, this is one of the few boards where the majority of posts have some content.

If I were you, I would certainly go for the 12 plus ext. display, unless you were planning to do the majority of your work on the go. In that case, go with the 15. This might sound weird, but I think that the 12 is great for occasional usage away from home (ie, taking notes, surfing the wed, etc). On the other hand, the 15 is great if you are planning on doing some serious mobile work (graphics, writting long papers, etc). I went with the 15 because I did not want an ext. monitor and I am away from the desk for most weekends, so I could not deal with the 12" screen for an entire weekend when I need sit down and do some serious work.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
3 ways to deal with this:

You could sell it, hope for some powerbook updates, and buy a 15 inch powerbook. It seems you have a pretty big budget, so you can pretty much max out the 15 inch.

You don't feel at all comfortable with a 17 inch, so you can completely downgrade to a 12 inch powerbook. If you still want some power, get an iMac G5 with it.

The other situation would be just to keep it, and impress people with the 17 inch screen. It's a great computer, I couldn't be embarassed of such a nice computer.

thats my 2 cents.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
that's pretty funny. I have never understood anyone buying a 17" laptop for portability. That just doesn't make good sense to me. A 12" I think is the best bet, 15" is pushing it but very doable, 17".....while it's a nice screen size, no way i'd be lugging that monster around!

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
well, I still dont know. I just cant decide if a 400$ hit is worth actually going to something im not totally sure about. I think I will probally end up buying used after I sell my current 17" because I dont want to lose that much money. I just dont know though. How can I be sure that I wolnt get the 12" with an ext and say oh sh**, it wasnt worth it.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Rob587 said:
well, I still dont know. I just cant decide if a 400$ hit is worth actually going to something im not totally sure about. I think I will probally end up buying used after I sell my current 17" because I dont want to lose that much money. I just dont know though. How can I be sure that I wolnt get the 12" with an ext and say oh sh**, it wasnt worth it.

Just freaking keep it.

It's not like it is causing you physical pain or something.

I'd learn to deal with it, personally.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
well, I just put it up on ebay. hopefully Im doing the right thing. I really dont like having alot of different computer stuff. I like keeping things simple, but I just cant take a 17" to class everyday. Id get a hernia. ebay auction

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Rob587 said:
well, I just put it up on ebay. hopefully Im doing the right thing. I really dont like having alot of different computer stuff. I like keeping things simple, but I just cant take a 17" to class everyday. Id get a hernia.

Good choice, honestly it should be about what you want and what will be the best for doing work. No point in paying that much for something you're unhappy with.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
floatingspirit said:
NO.

Unless you're rich like Paris Hilton or something, you will get used to viewing the 17 for movies and you'll get used to carrying it to class even though it's too big. Nice conversation piece too. "Wow Robby! You're machine is so big!" :p

It's a great lappy, so just enjoy it unless you can burn money. (my 2 cents)

I second that. Unless you are rich (or a hot blonde) I don't think its sane to downgrade it (especially not to a 15" for Pete's sake!). I have a 17" and it is really not that bad. Once you get used to that screen there's no going back to those weenie 12" displays (if they can even be called "displays").
We could go on and on about how the 12" or the 15" are a much better option for you (and I'm sure they are) but the fact remains that you already bought the 17", and you are going to lose money if you switch. You should keep it IMHO :)

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
floyde said:
I second that. Unless you are rich (or a hot blonde) I don't think its sane to downgrade it (especially not to a 15" for Pete's sake!). I have a 17" and it is really not that bad. Once you get used to that screen there's no going back to those weenie 12" displays (if they can even be called "displays").
We could go on and on about how the 12" or the 15" are a much better option for you (and I'm sure they are) but the fact remains that you already bought the 17", and you are going to lose money if you switch. You should keep it IMHO :)

gosh, I guess if someone ends up bidding on my auction I will do it, but Im still unsure. Like I might be making a overly big deal about this. Half of the reason ive been thinking of this is the fact that it would look so awkward to pull out a 17" monster and set on my desk. like I might aswell setup a G5 right?

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
14" iBook

The Powerbook has lots of fancy-schmancy extras that you probably don't care about. The 14" iBook is very portable, has a comfortable screen, and is durable. Superdrive, Core Image, Sudden Motion Sensor, and some other cool stuff. More important is that its $1299. Then buy a 17" Dell Screen (larger might slow down performance on an iBook, I wouldn't know) and a new iPod with the extra cash. Ta da!

EDIT: Whoops, saw the sig. You already got a new iPod. My bad. Save the money instead! Or blow it on something else that will come out soon.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
I love mine 17" PB, this thing is so cool. yeah it is bigger, but it is about the same size as 15" PC laptops (comparing to my friends 15.4" Sony Vaio A230)

Also, when you compare it to a 15" PB, it is much thinner.

On a side note. Aren't you guys concerned about damaging the DVI port from all this connecting and disconnecting of a display?

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
do you take yours to school? I mean dont get me wrong, I deffinatly love my 17" beauty, but I think I bought it out of lust. :D It sounds like it would be so nice to just toss a 12" pb into my back pack for the day.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Mac_Freak said:
I love mine 17" PB, this thing is so cool. yeah it is bigger, but it is about the same size as 15" PC laptops (comparing to my friends 15.4" Sony Vaio A230)

Also, when you compare it to a 15" PB, it is much thinner.

On a side note. Aren't you guys concerned about damaging the DVI port from all this connecting and disconnecting of a display?

I second this... While the PB 17 is bigger screen wise than a lot of 'portable' laptops, in the end it weighs less than most lappies, which you have to lug around (except for apple's smaller versions, but then again, apple isn't "most")...

As for the DVI port, I also agree, I don't think the DVI connector was designed for 'heavy duty' use like a USB, or firewire port. I'm not sure how long it would last...

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
blaskillet4 said:
I second this... While the PB 17 is bigger screen wise than a lot of 'portable' laptops, in the end it weighs less than most lappies, which you have to lug around (except for apple's smaller versions, but then again, apple isn't "most")...

As for the DVI port, I also agree, I don't think the DVI connector was designed for 'heavy duty' use like a USB, or firewire port. I'm not sure how long it would last...

so u take urs to school?

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Rob587 said:
so u take urs to school?

Well, yes and no. When I do take it, its because I have to. And when I'm carrying it around it' not bad at all. what is it... 2lb more?

As for the No part, well I just don't want to put too much wear and tear on my awesome PB. Even If I had a 12", I'd try to avoid taking it around if I could. And if you ask me why I didn't just get a G5 or what not, well Its really, and I mean REALLY convenient to be able to take it somewhere when needed.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Rob587 said:
do you take yours to school? I mean dont get me wrong, I deffinatly love my 17" beauty, but I think I bought it out of lust. :D It sounds like it would be so nice to just toss a 12" pb into my back pack for the day.

Oh yes, I do take mine to school. This semester it is not as necessary for me to take it to school, but in the last two years I would take my PB to school 2-3 times a week and I also have to ad that I commute by Subway about 40-50 min each way.
Of course they are a bit too big for those lecture classes, but I haven't bought it for taking notes. My other design classes have full desks (the one that two people share one desk) and that is where I use it the most.
And during the break between the classes, this thing is just rocking for browsing web and watching movies, all at the same time. This thing is just great for multitasking.

The only reason that it feel weird for him with this PB, is because he still hasn't gotten used to using it in places other than his bedroom. Sure it feels bigger, even too big on that small lecture desk/chair, but in lounge this makes for ultimate portable computing.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I hope someone bids on my auction. although I will miss my first apple :( . Do you think I willl get the price im asking for? I have it listed like $200 below edu pricing and its technically brand new.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Rob587 said:
I hope someone bids on my auction. although I will miss my first apple :( . Do you think I willl get the price im asking for? I have it listed like $200 below edu pricing and its technically brand new.

I'm not sure if you'll get a bid, $2700-300(edu)-200(you) = 2200, maybe...

But I how do you plan on buying anther laptop (from apple)? You only get 1 discount per year, so you're going to have to pay full price for your future 12"...

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
eva01 said:
except that i know at my school the 17" would not fit on the desks and would get knocked off, hell even the 15" would not fit on the desk.

Erm.. one question.

Do you NEED to have a computer in class? Come on, I never found myself having a dying need to have access to a computer during a lecture. Just sit and listen.

chrisleeroth

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005
I have a brand new 17 and I don't think it is that big... It can fit in my backpack and looks actually smaller than I thought it would. Hey, at least you do not have the problem of having a 12inch and looking like a girl! Man up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.