Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittenKrusher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Nuc said:
I don't understand how people can use computers in class. To me it's very distracting and if there is wireless then most people browse the web or play games. All of my classes would require me to have equation editor in full use and I can't navigate it as fast as writing it on a piece of paper.

So my comment for you would be to keep the PB, use paper.

I take my laptop (17") to school with me but I don't use it for class.

Anyways good luck,

Nuc

I am the save exact way, I only take my 17" to my Uni with me for between classes. I am a commuter, so I don't go home between classes, and I usually have about 2 hours between all my classes so lots of time to waste on the PowerBook.

In class though I never whip out the old PB. I would be tempted to start playing WoW or something, lol. I just take notes with pen and paper in classes.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I am a bit biased...

I had a 12" 1.33GHz PB... decided I really didn't need the slight 'power' advantages over an iBook for when I'm actually on-the-go (since I have an iMac G5 2.0GHz at home). Gave my older sister the PB and got the new 12" iBook. Honestly, I can't see the necessity of having a 15" much less a 17" screen 'portable' in a classroom setting. I also wouldn't call a 17" portable, myself.

I love the iBook + iMac combo. It's an especially great buy right now (especially if you get both machines stock by this Saturday, September 24th) and qualify for the Student Union rebate for a free iPod mini!

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
devilot76 said:
I had a 12" 1.33GHz PB... decided I really didn't need the slight 'power' advantages over an iBook for when I'm actually on-the-go (since I have an iMac G5 2.0GHz at home). Gave my older sister the PB and got the new 12" iBook. Honestly, I can't see the necessity of having a 15" much less a 17" screen 'portable' in a classroom setting. I also wouldn't call a 17" portable, myself.

I love the iBook + iMac combo. It's an especially great buy right now (especially if you get both machines stock by this Saturday, September 24th) and qualify for the Student Union rebate for a free iPod mini!

I have to agree. Having owned a 17" pb, and trying to use it in airports and on planes... I've said since day one, its not a laptop - its a portable desktop.

On campus a 12" is the answer.. and with the current state of powerpooks, I'd agree with the iBook variety. I'd build a peecee before buying a g5 based machine... especially with the software needs of a lot of students.

I can't understand why the poster wrote that he "fell in love" with the 17".. when clearly he never went out, looked at one. picked one up.. closed it. and thought about the fact he'd be carrying around this heavy, $3000 machine, everywhere.

If it doesn't get stolen it'll get dropped. Get rid of it.

:)

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
would it be smart of me to buy like an older cheap g3ibook for internet, aim, and word just for taking to school? rather then selling my current 17" and losing money? I also really likke my 17". Do you guys think thats a good idea?

edit: actually I guess thats a bad idea when I could sell my current 17" and get a 17" imac g5 and a 12" pb for around the same amount of money or a little less. I just dont think I like how the imac looks. Its really different. I wish they put a better graphics card in the minis cuz I would be all over them if they did.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
You're clearly not listening to all the good advice here... or you're selectively listening.

If you were listening, that 17" would already be on ebay.

:)

I'm still not sure why you need two machines, period.

Why is it that a 12" iBook will fail to meet your needs? Or even just a powerbook to push an external monitor of higer resolution...

:confused:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'd just try to get over it, is it just you being uncomftable haveing such a huge ass laptop or is it acctually physically inpracticle like ti does not fit on your desk?

it usually takes a while for people to get over takeing a laptop to school, once you do it's fine heck i have used my ibook while walking down oxford street jumping from wireless network to network, most people wouldent think of doing that, as i said you just have to get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.