Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I dont know they seem to be the only ones i know that use it between themselves, even though they all have iPhones but use iMessage too.
Maybe getting old :(

Ok i moved into the 21st century, got WhatsApp, the person i wanted to send video was in my contacts so it went through great, bit annoying though you have to use a different app for iPhone to android.

Disregard all my previous useless posts :)
Yeah the best thing would be if imessage somehow had support for other message-apps like whatsapp and so on, that uses wifi/data to send messages, the technique should be quite similar between those kind of apps. That way iphone-users could keep using imessage.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
WhatsApp is available on tablets and computers as well.
Google Message (SMS) is available on pc now as well.
[doublepost=1529838230][/doublepost]
The whole messaging system is a joke. There needs to be a multi Platform standard that can handle group chat and large attachments. Hopefully Rcs is a step in the right direction.
I'm not seeing this at all. Only iPhone users chiefly from America have any issue with messaging. I use SMS, email, Whatsapp and occasionally messenger to contact people depending on the nature of my contact ie I'll send photos via email or whatsapp, videos by whatsapp or messenger, and plain texts via SMS or Whatsapp. I have never, ever, not even once had an issue and nor have I ever wondered why there isn't one magical app that does all of those things for all phone users. iPhone users really can get silly about this messaging lark IMO.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
WhatsApp is available on tablets and computers as well.
How do you get it on a tablet. I have it on my Mac but didn’t know I could get it on the iPad.
[doublepost=1529839370][/doublepost]
Google Message (SMS) is available on pc now as well.
[doublepost=1529838230][/doublepost]
I'm not seeing this at all. Only iPhone users chiefly from America have any issue with messaging. I use SMS, email, Whatsapp and occasionally messenger to contact people depending on the nature of my contact ie I'll send photos via email or whatsapp, videos by whatsapp or messenger, and plain texts via SMS or Whatsapp. I have never, ever, not even once had an issue and nor have I ever wondered why there isn't one magical app that does all of those things for all phone users. iPhone users really can get silly about this messaging lark IMO.
I have to agree with this. Whilst I get that iMessage is useful for a lot of people, even as an iPhone user I prefer to use what’s app as it’s widely used amongst my contacts and it does the job. Sends messages, can send media and can make calls.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Cannot wait for RCS to roll in and let people message on WiFi to send texts, images, and videos.

A few canadian carriers already implemented RCS. I assume the US and other regions already have it. The new google Message support both sms and RCS. You probably only need people to install a RCS compatible app on their phone.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Apologies. It's not available for tablets. I just assumed it would be but hadn't bothered to try downloading it until a moment ago. Just been using it happily on phone and laptop.
Seems a bit odd.
LOL of course you can install WhatsApp on any Android tablet or Windows Tablet, but for iPad the only current option is to use WhatsApp web or Chat for WhatsApp amongst other Apple Apps, although not quite as good as the native app

Reactions: Regime2008

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
LOL of course you can install WhatsApp on any Android tablet or Windows Tablet, but for iPad the only current option is to use WhatsApp web or Chat for WhatsApp amongst other Apple Apps, although not quite as good as the native app
So if you sideload what’s app on an android tablet can you still use what’s app on your phone?

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
This doesn't make sense at all in many places in the world. They are more android users than iPhone to begin with. It is unlikely iPhone users just have friends that use iPhone only. And android users are already using a universal ones like WhatsApp, line or WeChat. The fact is iPhone users are the one who needed to join and be part of the bigger group by installing those apps or be left out. It is not like iPhone users have a choice by not installing.
I'm sure they don't mind having a niche platform, though I'd question whether or not its shrinking. We don't have the numbers, that's for sure.
[doublepost=1529815519][/doublepost]

I have to wonder why MMS costs extra anywhere. I know it does, I just don't get why.

I don't believe iOS is shrinking at all. There are only a hand full of phones Apple sells, where Android has so many different brands and categories of phones from $50 to $1000. So of course they would have most of the market with all those cheap devices. That's why some call it fragmented.
[doublepost=1529858915][/doublepost]
It's logical, way more android phones sold worldwide, Samsung alone sell more phones than apple, most people use some from of messaging app.
How is iMessage going to grow in comparison?

They didn't till the big sale happened per single phone. The iPhone X sold more than the S9, then the $300 off, and they were selling more then. But look what it took to do that.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don't believe iOS is shrinking at all. There are only a hand full of phones Apple sells, where Android has so many different brands and categories of phones from $50 to $1000. So of course they would have most of the market with all those cheap devices. That's why some call it fragmented.
[doublepost=1529858915][/doublepost]

They didn't till the big sale happened per single phone. The iPhone X sold more than the S9, then the $300 off, and they were selling more then. But look what it took to do that.
I don’t expect the S9 to outsell the iPhone X but the S9 hasn’t been out as long and the data so far suggests that the S9 outsold the iPhone X in April.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I don’t expect the S9 to outsell the iPhone X but the S9 hasn’t been out as long and the data so far suggests that the S9 outsold the iPhone X in April.

That is when the s9 had a $300 discount which was applied in April and made Samsung pull ahead of the iPHone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
actually it looks like Samsung dipped a little and Apple gained a little. But Samsung still sells more phones than anyone else by a large margin. But Huawei is gaining on Apple and Samsung....

idc-smartphones-q1-2018.png

https://venturebeat.com/2018/05/02/...s-down-2-9-in-q1-2018-apple-gains-on-samsung/

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
so what? A sale is a sale.....just like when the Galaxy S9 was $300 off the iPhone X was a buy one get one free deal here in the states....
Doesn't matter....it all adds up to a sale....

There isn't a $50 iphone. It's not comparing Apples to Apples.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
There isn't a $50 iphone. It's not comparing Apples to Apples.

No one has said there was a $50 iPhone
so your viewpoint is only higher dollar amounts should count as sales? really?
My viewpoint is all sales no matter what the dollar amount...is a sale. I am pretty sure that is how the rest of the world does it.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
No one has said there was a $50 iPhone
so your viewpoint is only higher dollar amounts should count as sales? really?
My viewpoint is all sales no matter what the dollar amount...is a sale. I am pretty sure that is how the rest of the world does it.

You aren't getting it. My point is in those total sales Samsung sells a ton of the low end phones that make a good part of those sales up. So they sell a large amount of phones and for the cheap. Both $$ and total. You can't ignore the facts sir. It's been discussed for years that is why and how Android sells so many compared to iPhones.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You aren't getting it. My point is in those total sales Samsung sells a ton of the low end phones that make a good part of those sales up. So they sell a large amount of phones and for the cheap. Both $$ and total. You can't ignore the facts sir. It's been discussed for years that is why and how Android sells so many compared to iPhones.
no one is disputing there are low cost Android phones on the market and that they probably make up quite a bit of the total sales numbers. So what? I don't think you get the fact that all sales no mater the dollar amount are counted as sales and are reported that way....

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

I was talking about the whole Samsung range vs Apple range.
[doublepost=1529867625][/doublepost]
That is when the s9 had a $300 discount which was applied in April and made Samsung pull ahead of the iPHone.
There was no 300 discount here.

Also interesting is that of the 45 Samsung models that you can get from a retail store, only 1 model is close to $50 U.S.

The rest are double and up and the "50" dollar model is something I've not seen anyone use.

But I'm sure it would run WhatsApp anyway...

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Was the sale in May not April?

Here in NZ, you don't get 300 off.
From what I can tell, the 300 off was on conjunction with activating a plan.
In Engand, you could get 300 pounds off if you handed in your old mobile.

It's never a straight discount.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Here in NZ, you don't get 300 off.
From what I can tell, the 300 off was on conjunction with activating a plan.
same here. But we’d never get buy one get one free deals here either.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
same here. But we’d never get buy one get one free deals here either.
Yeah I'd be all over that if I could get it.

Just out of curiosity, how many 50 dollar (compensate for u.s exchange rate) Samsung smartphones can you buy where you are?

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
WhatsApp shows up as "incompatible with this device" on my Samsung tablet.

Edit: With Chrome visit Web.whatsapp.com and set to desktop mode from the meno options and it loads fine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.