Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
This doesn't make sense at all in many places in the world. They are more android users than iPhone to begin with. It is unlikely iPhone users just have friends that use iPhone only. And android users are already using a universal ones like WhatsApp, line or WeChat. The fact is iPhone users are the one who needed to join and be part of the bigger group by installing those apps or be left out. It is not like iPhone users have a choice by not installing.

This.
imessage is proprietary and small fish globally.
I know a few people with iPhones but they manage to install and use messenger/whatsapp without it putting them out.
If they didn't, they miss out, not me.

Apple should really make imessage cross platform instead of playing the protectionism game.

I can't see any other reason why they wouldn't make imessage cross platform.
If it had been cross platform, the number of global users would have been greater but it's kind of too late now, messenger and whatsapp are ubiquitous, imessage is niche.

If someone tries to imessage me, my only choice to be compatible is an apple device.

If I whatsapp an iphone using friend, their choice to be compatible is to install an app.

Which is the path of least resistance?

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This.
I know a few people with iPhones but they manage to install and use messenger/whatsapp without it putting them out.
If they didn't, they do miss out, not me.

Apple should really make imessage cross platform instead of playing the protectionism game.

If it had been cross platform, the number of global users would have been greater but it's kind of too late now, messenger and whatsapp are ubiquitous, imessage is niche.

But what would Apple gain from putting iMessage on Android or the web? More users, sure, but that's just more cost to them. You're not going to pay for iMessage, after all.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
But what would Apple gain from putting iMessage on Android or the web? More users, sure, but that's just more cost to them. You're not going to pay for iMessage, after all.

Oh well, they can enjoy being a niche shrinking platform then.
If the android version of iMessage was as magical as the Apple version, maybe people would have dipped their toes in the Apple pond and switched, who knows?

Reactions: Phil A.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The best part of the Messages app is that it just works. No need for any work on the other end. You just throw in a number and they get the message.

They do only if they have auto download MMS switched on as many countries make MMS a specific charge (Some have MMS in their bundles price but home country only) many have this disabled as receiving say a video internationally can be quite expensive, but otherwise I agree

It's part of this ease and casualness I dislike about iPhone sending MMS users can easily rack up costs for others unknowingly

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Oh well, they can enjoy being a niche shrinking platform then.

I'm sure they don't mind having a niche platform, though I'd question whether or not its shrinking. We don't have the numbers, that's for sure.
[doublepost=1529815519][/doublepost]
They do only if they have auto download MMS switched on as many countries make MMS a specific charge (Some have free MMS in their bundles price but home country only) many have this disabled as receiving say 3.5min video internationally can be quite expensive, but otherwise I agree

It's part of this ease and casualness I dislike about iPhone sending MMS users can easily rack up costs for others unknowingly

I have to wonder why MMS costs extra anywhere. I know it does, I just don't get why.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
I'm out of this alternative forum, every thread just turns into a cat fight, no wonder some have left all together. Some here that don't even own 1 Apple product on a macumours forum lol, and are just so one eyed they just like to troll for the fun of it.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I'm sure they don't mind having a niche platform, though I'd question whether or not its shrinking. We don't have the numbers, that's for sure

It's logical, way more android phones sold worldwide, Samsung alone sell more phones than apple, most people use some from of messaging app.
How is iMessage going to grow in comparison?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's logical, way more android phones sold worldwide, Samsung alone sell more phones than apple, most people use some from of messaging app.
How is iMessage going to grow in comparison?

Weirdly enough, the number of iPhones in use goes up each year. A growing number of people means a growing number of possible users. Or we could be obsessed with market share for no reason.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have to wonder why MMS costs extra anywhere. I know it does, I just don't get why.

SMS and MMS cost everywhere :) it's just often it's cost is hidden in the data bundle, it's not free

Many countries data plans are constructed differently and include or exclude different things. That's why you can get a 10GB monthly for just a few $'s in some countries but SMS and MMS are out with and charged against your phone credit.

Many users only rely on WiFi with no data plan at all

So using WhatsApp etc ensure you are not by accident running up MMS charges for yourself or others

When I lived in the states my wife was not bothered about a data plan but At&T charged me $10 a month for sms connectivity plus a price per sms, but that was a few years back

I think there are a few new carriers in US that you can now specifically tailor your bundle how many GB or SMS (MMS comes out of your data allowance) if I recall correctly it was around $1.40 for 40 sms which is not a lot for some users, of course the more you pay the more value I think the cheapest plan was around $9 for a few GB and sms.

Sure want the full works and unlimited sms/mms the packages start to creep up over $40/mth, but many elsewhere work on tiny budgets and are happy to exclude MMS/SMS

Last edited:
Reactions: Klyster

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
SMS and MMS cost everywhere :) it's just often it's cost is hidden in the data bundle, it's not free

Many countries data plans are constructed differently and include or exclude different things. That's why you can get a 10GB monthly for just a few $'s in some countries but SMS and MMS are out with and charged against your phone credit.

So using WhatsApp etc ensure you are not by accident running up MMS charges for yourself or others

When I lived in the states my wife was not bothered about a data plan but At&T charged me $10 a month for sms connectivity plus a price per sms, but that was a few years back

I think there are a few new carriers in US that you can now specifically tailor your bundle how many GB or SMS (MMS comes out of your data allowance) if I recall correctly it was around $1.40 for 40 sms which is not a lot for some users, of course the more you pay the more value I think the cheapest plan was around $9 for a few GB and sms.

Sure want the full works and unlimited sms/mms the packages start to creep up over $40/mth, but many elsewhere work on tiny budgets and are happy to exclude MMS/SMS

Cannot wait for RCS to roll in and let people message on WiFi to send texts, images, and videos.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Weirdly enough, the number of iPhones in use goes up each year. A growing number of people means a growing number of possible users. Or we could be obsessed with market share for no reason.
The number of iPhones does go up but so does the number of android, it's relative.
iMessage users will grow compared to the previous year but overall the they will shrink compared to the competition, who are also competing against each others.

I could be wrong but there's nothing out there to say I am.
[doublepost=1529818788][/doublepost]

I have a ridiculous amount of unused data, 140+gb iirc, but still need to spend to send a smilie in an sms haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
WhatsApp is great here in europe. Near perfect cross platform messaging app.

Same here in South Africa, all Android and iOS users I know use WhatsApp, works perfectly fine for all of us, I don't even know why this is an argument, as everyone will use what best fits them and the people they communicate with.

Simply slagging off an app because one doesn't use it is just pure stupidity and ignorance , but what do I know, I apparently use an app that is only meant for kids and teenagers

The amount of rubbish I am seeing in this thread is laughable, honestly.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
No one can send files via sms :) iPhone message app is just capable of sending sms or mms or an Imessage if your recipients also have an iPhone else it just sends a sms or an mms and has the same restrictions as any other phone

WhatsApp etc are always Imessages only and work cross platform so not restricted like Imessage on an iPhone

My friend in Thailand who is a housing developer has many staff across many sites, There the Line App is the common messaging app. His staff have groups for the gardeners, security, etc etc and to buy 80+ iPhones would be ridiculous cost for such a trivial convenience.

As the Line app will also allow free Icalls and Video etc it's actually more complete and capable. The majority of his staff do not even need data plans or call/sms credit they just need to be in range of the site office Wi-Fi.

Thank you for bringing some actual sense and logic into this discussion. This is exactly the thing, it's all down to requirements and best fit.
I know mate. I call iMessage an SMS app because that's all most of us use it for. I'm genuinely gobsmacked by the hype it generates. I find it incredulous that no iMessage really is a dealbreaker for some.
You know how it goes around here, they gotta clutch them straws!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The number of iPhones does go up but so does the number of android, it's relative.
iMessage users will grow compared to the previous year but overall the they will shrink compared to the competition, who are also competing against each others.

I could be wrong but there's nothing out there to say I am.
[doublepost=1529818788][/doublepost]

I have a ridiculous amount of unused data, 140+gb iirc, but still need to spend to send a smilie in an sms haha.

You're thinking of it as a zero sum game. iMessage can grow and so can the competition.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
You're thinking of it as a zero sum game. iMessage can grow and so can the competition.
Maybe, but they'd probably grow larger if it were cross platform.
I'm looking at this from a "messaging app" point of view and I'd say yoy, iMessage would be losing ground to other messaging apps.
As long as it's niche, it not really going to grow that much in comparison.

Reactions: Regime2008

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Maybe, but they'd probably grow larger if it were cross platform.

Oh, that is definitely true. But until they can monetize it, they won't. WhatsApp went from a paid model to being funded by Facebook (where they're going to get your data, don't worry). Telegram is funded by a sugar daddy for the time being, but will probably eventually have to monetize other ways they haven't shared yet. Google has Allo, Duo, Hangouts, etc because of the data. Apple would have to convince people to pay, probably monthly, for a messaging service.

And do you think people would do that?

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Oh, that is definitely true. But until they can monetize it, they won't. WhatsApp went from a paid model to being funded by Facebook (where they're going to get your data, don't worry). Telegram is funded by a sugar daddy for the time being, but will probably eventually have to monetize other ways they haven't shared yet. Google has Allo, Duo, Hangouts, etc because of the data. Apple would have to convince people to pay, probably monthly, for a messaging service.

And do you think people would do that?
Some would, given the option.
Me? Nah, I'm not paying for basic functionality.
It would be a good opportunity for apple to show off their messaging skills, if imessage was really that better than its comparatives, people might be more inclined to switch devices.
Like a slow burning trojan horse.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Some would, given the option.
Me? Nah, I'm not paying for basic functionality.
It would be a good opportunity for apple to show off their messaging skills, if imessage was really that better than its comparatives, people might be more inclined to switch devices.
Like a slow burning trojan horse.

Why switch devices for iMessage if iMessage works perfectly on whatever phone you have?

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yeah I guess so..why bother.

It just seems petty to keep it single platform when we all know it wouldn't be that hard to be ubiquitous.
Then again, that kind of sums up Apple to me, petty and cheap, chewing off their nose to spite their face.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah I guess so..why bother.

It just seems petty to keep it single platform when we all know it wouldn't be that hard to be ubiquitous.
Then again, that kind of sums up Apple to me, petty and cheap, chewing off their nose to spite their face.

That's one way to look at it. Another is that they care about their customers and that's about it. That's not cheap or petty, that's being a for profit business.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Not in my opinion, so let's leave it at that, on point with the theme of the thread.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
The whole messaging system is a joke. There needs to be a multi Platform standard that can handle group chat and large attachments. Hopefully Rcs is a step in the right direction.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
This.
If they didn't, they miss out, not me.

If someone tries to imessage me, my only choice to be compatible is an apple device.

If I whatsapp an iphone using friend, their choice to be compatible is to install an app.

Which is the path of least resistance?
What’s app has been on phone since 2010. First downloaded it in 2010 when someone suggested that I do it. We both had iPhones. Never really used it for a few years but it wasn’t a big deal to download it even back then when I had only 32GB on my iPhone 4.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Hey guys I currently own an iPhone 6+ and I wanted to upgrade to an Samsung s9... the oled screen is attractive but I feel like I'd regret leaving IOS. I love the keyboard layout on the iOS and idk if I can get that same experience on Samsung... also the blurry face pics is a bit of a turn off what are your opinions? Should I switch? Or wait for the new iphone in September?
I went from a 6+ to an S9+, and it is the best phone decision I have made. The S9+ is quite simply amazing. And it has a headphone jack.

For keyboards, I use Google's gboard, and it's the best phone keyboard I've used.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
A person asked why some people are hooked on iMessage and I answered. I wasn't debating the merits of the platform.
[doublepost=1529814163][/doublepost]

The best part of the Messages app is that it just works. No need for any work on the other end. You just throw in a number and they get the message.
Just works yes and I get charged if I send a picture, web link or video if the person doesn’t have an iPhone.

The good thing about iMessage for me is that it’s available on my other devices like iPads and MacBook so I can receive and reply to messages on there. Also although I don’t really have any contacts who use iMessage any more sending media is free to other iMessage users.

Being able to send a text message or even media isn’t unique to iMessage.

You can send sms messages on android using the default messages app/ google’s Latest take on messaging and the person will receive it. Of course if you send media that way I’ll get charged.
[doublepost=1529830814][/doublepost]
I went from a 6+ to an S9+, and it is the best phone decision I have made. The S9+ is quite simply amazing. And it has a headphone jack.

For keyboards, I use Google's gboard, and it's the best phone keyboard I've used.
Well to be fair the 6+ is quite old now so getting any 2018 flagship would be a big improvement.

The S9 plus is a great phone though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.