Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I live in Sweden and myself and everyone I know uses iMessage.. If you have an iPhone it's a no-brainer to use iMessage if you ask me, better looking than all the other messaging apps.
We would all use it for SMS, just nothing more than that if outside the US *and Sweden.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Name all of the new stuff point by point that you got on your S7.
I'm genuinely curious to know.

Nah, I'm not going to do that. Just google "Android Oreo new features" and you can get a full list. I'll tell you about the stuff I like instead.

The updates I'll really use a lot are:
  1. the superb, refined group notification updates
  2. icon notification updates for the always on display/lock screen
  3. app shortcuts
  4. extra folder features
  5. the feature that lets you set whatever password manager you want to the default (like OnePass) system wide.
That's all stuff I'll use every day. I'm pretty happy with the software, if not the hardware. App shortcuts aren't as nice as 3D Touch, but I didn't have that feature last Thursday. So... neat, I guess.

Under the Oreo Samsung launcher instead of my usual google now launcher, the UI of my phone really did get smoother and faster.

I read somewhere that Oreo is supposed to help with battery drain on some devices, but I’m skeptical. Time will tell.

Perhaps the Oreo update will let me ride this out until the iPhone X2 gets released.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I just got the android Oreo update on my S7. That was a lot of new stuff.

Most everything before that was security patches. I had 5 or 6 of those in 2+ years.
I think your mixing up poor support from your carrier to what others provide and if you notice the recent uproar with bugs from IOS updates it's very much a mixed bag what you may get YMMV

If you even notice recent front page articles it's taken Apple years to place guidelines to stop app developers snooping on your contacts photo etc

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Just tried to send a 2.34min video mp4HD i had on my iMac using messages, went to 2 people with iPhones instantly no problems, the person i sent to with a android green message, MESSAGE FAIL.

Good luck OP :)

Reactions: 4RunnerHeaven

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Which i don't get as the only people i know that message that way are kids/teenagers, everyone here seems a bit older :)

Anyone that does not do something your way you refer to as a Kid or Teenager. You have done this numerous times, its quite ironic that you use such childish retort.
[doublepost=1529728598][/doublepost]
Not here everyone uses it ;)

You could not be more wrong with your statement, in my experience people with iPhones in Australia still use WhatsApp so they can message people with Android phones without the regular MMS limitations. Its only in the US where iMessage is so popular.

Reactions: jamezr

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Anyone that does not do something your way you refer to as a Kid or Teenager. You have done this numerous times, its quite ironic that you use such childish retort.

Well that my experience i have them :) Do you have them using iPhones or just arguing for the sake of it.
[doublepost=1529731884][/doublepost]
WhatsApp so they can message people with Android phones without the regular MMS limitations.

Like i said from my experience mainly kids/teenagers.

Reactions: FFR

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I think your mixing up poor support from your carrier to what others provide and if you notice the recent uproar with bugs from IOS updates it's very much a mixed bag what you may get YMMV

In my experience, carriers are slow to roll out Samsung updates and Samsung is slow to get things to carriers. They both suck.

I’m on Oreo on Verizon. My coworker’s s7 active is still on nougat on AT&T.

If you even notice recent front page articles it's taken Apple years to place guidelines to stop app developers snooping on your contacts photo etc

I have noticed an uptick in those stories. I’m actually quite surprised Apple is letting that slip.

I feel like Android has always been worse, though. I really distrust apps from google play. Some basic apps and games want access to data they shouldn’t.

Last edited:

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Just tried to send a 2.34min video mp4HD i had on my iMac using messages, went to 2 people with iPhones instantly no problems, the person i sent to with a android green message, MESSAGE FAIL.

Reason I went back to iPhone from my Note 8. Trying to send text messages to everyone was a pain because of this.

Reactions: PhoneMe1

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013

Well that's no surprise that you can't send video with MMS. It shouldn't give any "message fail" though, but the video will look like it was shot with a carrot on the poor android users side. Video is never an option to send with MMS, always use another app like whatsapp or share a google photo link for that purpose.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I moved on from Samsung due to software and now using Essential. Pure Android, excellent updates. No bloat. I had 4 Samsung and 3 Blackberry phones before that. And 5 iPhones.

When it comes to software side, iOS needed .3 to be ready. Mac OS X - same or best to wait for the last update. Mac OS has gotten better.

Oreo: Essential jumped to 8.1 due to issues in 8.0, I think Pixel May have also.

To me iOS 7 thru 11 had in common “bugs” problems during first six months especially with the newest model phone, new phone and new iOS = recipe for trouble.

The never buy or use 1.0 version of hardware or software.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Video is never an option to send with MMS, always use another app like whatsapp or share a google photo link for that purpose.

Well i have no need for whatsflap i am not a teenager, and was sending to someone as a one off so was not going to arrange for both of us to download whatsflap lol.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
Well i have no need for whatsflap i am not a teenager, and was sending to someone as a one off so was not going to arrange for both of us to download whatsflap lol.

You certainly would have needed it right there. What's up with this teenage thing you are talking about? It doesn't make you sound very grown up to be honest.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
You certainly would have needed it right there. What's up with this teenage thing you are talking about? It doesn't make you sound very grown up to be honest.

I dont know they seem to be the only ones i know that use it between themselves, even though they all have iPhones but use iMessage too.
Maybe getting old :(

Ok i moved into the 21st century, got WhatsApp, the person i wanted to send video was in my contacts so it went through great, bit annoying though you have to use a different app for iPhone to android.

Disregard all my previous useless posts :)

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Whatsapp push to talk is so handy..
I'm quite lazy so not having to type is right up my alley..

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Whatsapp push to talk is so handy..
I'm quite lazyso not having to type is right up my alley..
I didn’t know you could do push to talk on WhatsApp!

Would save me the time of typing things out. I need all the time saving tips I can get with a newborn and a toddler.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I didn’t know you could do push to talk on WhatsApp!

Would save me the time of typing things out. I need all the time saving tips I can get with a newborn and a toddler.

I'm hearing you, I have the same age group:)

Just hold down mic button, say your bit and send

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
In Europe we're kinda used to not being able to send files by SMS. We use Whatsapp.:D

No one can send files via sms :) iPhone message app is just capable of sending sms or mms or an Imessage if your recipients also have an iPhone else it just sends a sms or an mms and has the same restrictions as any other phone

WhatsApp etc are always Imessages only and work cross platform so not restricted like Imessage on an iPhone

My friend in Thailand who is a housing developer has many staff across many sites, There the Line App is the common messaging app. His staff have groups for the gardeners, security, etc etc and to buy 80+ iPhones would be ridiculous cost for such a trivial convenience.

As the Line app will also allow free Icalls and Video etc it's actually more complete and capable. The majority of his staff do not even need data plans or call/sms credit they just need to be in range of the site office Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsepz and Klyster

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
No one can send files via sms :) iPhone message app is just capable of sending sms or mms or an Imessage if your recipients also have an iPhone else it just sends a sms or an mms and has the same restrictions as any other phone

WhatsApp etc are always Imessages only and work cross platform so not restricted like Imessage on an iPhone

My friend in Thailand who is a housing developer has many staff across many sites, There the Line App is the common messaging app. His staff have groups for the gardeners, security, etc etc and to buy 80+ iPhones would be ridiculous cost for such a trivial convenience.

As the Line app will also allow free Icalls and Video etc it's actually more complete and capable. The majority of his staff do not even need data plans or call/sms credit they just need to be in range of the site office Wi-Fi.
I know mate. I call iMessage an SMS app because that's all most of us use it for. I'm genuinely gobsmacked by the hype it generates. I find it incredulous that no iMessage really is a dealbreaker for some.

Reactions: Tsepz and SteveJUAE

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I know mate. I call iMessage an SMS app because that's all most of us use it for. I'm genuinely gobsmacked by the hype it generates. I find it incredulous that no iMessage really is a dealbreaker for some.

It's pretty easy to understand. Imagine you have a group of friends, most of which have iPhones. Or maybe most of your family does. Now you're sending GIF, full resolution images and videos, and whatever else back and forth. Nowadays, you're using Animoji and looking forward to Memoji.

Why would you rock the boat? Your friends with their iPhones like iMessage. Are you going to talk all of them into moving to a third party application and remind them to install it every time they get a new phone? Or are you going to go down the path of least resistance and just use iMessage?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It's pretty easy to understand. Imagine you have a group of friends, most of which have iPhones. Or maybe most of your family does. Now you're sending GIF, full resolution images and videos, and whatever else back and forth. Nowadays, you're using Animoji and looking forward to Memoji.

Why would you rock the boat? Your friends with their iPhones like iMessage. Are you going to talk all of them into moving to a third party application and remind them to install it every time they get a new phone? Or are you going to go down the path of least resistance and just use iMessage?

This doesn't make sense at all in many places in the world. They are more android users than iPhone to begin with. It is unlikely iPhone users just have friends that use iPhone only. And android users are already using a universal ones like WhatsApp, line or WeChat. The fact is iPhone users are the one who needed to join and be part of the bigger group by installing those apps or be left out. It is not like iPhone users have a choice by not installing.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
As Michael Goff points out often it's simply a path of least resistance or convenience or is it :D

There are equally many other scenarios where you taken this easy route for friends or family etc but end up fiddling around more regardless

You travel internationally, you force Granny down the route of expensive iPhone, you buy your kids iPhone but no data plan, new friends or business contacts are not iPhone users etc etc and so on …………

I agree for some in a relatively small bubble it works well and I think there was a very specific case where one chap takes orders via Imessages and needs to combine them in to one sales invoice, this works for him

But as a whole and for most in the world it's trivia. The most popular message app in US is reported to be facebook messenger so it's likely many iPhone users are already loading additional apps to communicate. Good phones automatically load software when you swap or upgrade so for most it's a onetime install not every time you change phones :rolleyes:

Then there are other advantages re Icalls and Videos and less restricted file formats that come with some of these more global cross platform apps

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
This doesn't make sense at all in many places in the world. They are more android users than iPhone to begin with. It is unlikely iPhone users just have friends that use iPhone only. And android users are already using a universal ones like WhatsApp, line or WeChat. The fact is iPhone users are the one who needed to join and be part of the bigger group by installing those apps or be left out. It is not like iPhone users have a choice by not installing.

A person asked why some people are hooked on iMessage and I answered. I wasn't debating the merits of the platform.
[doublepost=1529814163][/doublepost]
As Michael Goff points out often it's simply a path of least resistance or convenience or is it :D

There are equally many other scenarios where you taken this easy route for friends or family etc but end up fiddling around more regardless

You travel internationally, you force Granny down the route of expensive iPhone, you buy your kids iPhone but no data plan, new friends or business contacts are not iPhone users etc etc and so on …………

I agree for some in a relatively small bubble it works well and I think there was a very specific case where one chap takes orders via Imessages and needs to combine them in to one sales invoice, this works for him

But as a whole and for most in the world it's trivia. The most popular message app in US is reported to be facebook messenger so it's likely many iPhone users are already loading additional apps to communicate. Good phones automatically load software when you swap or upgrade so for most it's a onetime install not every time you change phones :rolleyes:

The best part of the Messages app is that it just works. No need for any work on the other end. You just throw in a number and they get the message.

Reactions: SteveJUAE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.