Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
If you text a lot, you are going to hate SMS and dearly miss iMessage.

Don't say that in here, nobody uses imessage unless you live in US, it's all whatsflap/Fakebook messenger and whatever else dodgy app ;) As they are universal apparently.
Which i don't get as the only people i know that message that way are kids/teenagers, everyone here seems a bit older :)

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I have no idea how you used your S7 but my S6 with heavy usage for 2 years has no lag and is still as fast as my Note 8 only it's battery went from bad to awful. No resets needed. Same with my S5 too.

I have an s7 that is on life support. I choose between 2 modes: decent performance and terrible battery, or Terrible performance and decent battery. 2 family members with the s7 family have the same issues. We have to have battery saver mode on to make it through the day, and performance is very sluggish. It’s either that or constantly looking to charge it.

My coworker has an s6 that is a champ and performs better than my s7. Although the Oreo update on my s7 actually got smoother, battery life cannot be saved now. It dies fast.

I’m torn because I can get a Verizon s9 for $370 from Samsung.com with trade in. I was looking at the iPhone X, but that price gets me every time. $1000 is hard to swallow.

The android feature I LOVE is disabling the lock screen when connected to my car’s Bluetooth system, along with the excellent google assistant and maps integration. Add in a headphone jack and remap the Bixby button to launch google assistant, and I think it goes toe to toe with most phones out there.

So I weigh all of these things I use regularly when looking to upgrade. It’s enough to drive me nuts. Will the s9 hold up better than my used, eBay s7? Who knows... I was just as frustrated with my iPhone 4s becoming unusable with iOS updates.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Holy smokes. What country?

How much do the s9 and iPhone 8 cost there?
Australia, the X starts at $1799 (from Apple and stores, can be had cheaper online) here in New Zealand.

Its all relative to the exchange rate with a markup due to tariffs perhaps?

My partner has my old S7 edge, still going strong, even has 8.0 now.
It is an exynos so I wonder if that would make a difference?
[doublepost=1529637304][/doublepost]
Don't say that in here, nobody uses imessage unless you live in US, it's all whatsflap/Fakebook messenger and whatever else dodgy app ;) As they are universal apparently.
Which i don't get as the only people i know that message that way are kids/teenagers, everyone here seems a bit older :)

Is imessage universal?

Reactions: jamezr

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
How much do the s9 and iPhone 8 cost there?

You can get a S9 cheaper as retailers have sales online or ebay 20% off, i have seen some dropped 30% already, common with Samsung, will be had near half price soon. Never buy those on release you pay through the nose. Hence the low resale down the track.
iPhones you might get 10% off but could be imports, i usually buy near new off gumtree if i can, better to wait a bit with iPhones too as people get them on Telco contracts keep their old phone and sell the new one.
Yes you can do that here.

New 8 64Gb retail from Apple is $1079.
[doublepost=1529638378][/doublepost]
Is imessage universal?

Only if you own a iPhone :)
[doublepost=1529638856][/doublepost]
Australia, the X starts at $1799 (from Apple and stores, can be had cheaper online) here in New Zealand.

Good guess!! Wow, That's why there is so many Kiwis living in Australia? cheaper. I am heading over in 2 weeks maybe we could meet up and talk about our differences :)
Got a son living in Aukland now and going to travel around a bit.
You North or South Island?

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Good guess!! Wow, That's why there is so many Kiwis living in Australia? cheaper. I am heading over in 2 weeks maybe we could meet up and talk about our differences :)
Got a son living in Aukland now and going to travel around a bit.
You North or South Island?

Well Gumtree was a giveaway hehe.
Here the depreciation is pretty much the same for galaxy and iphone, retail stores don't really drop the prices of either for a year or so.
Trademe, which is like Gumtree but with more options and a seller's fee, has both iphones and galaxies hundreds of dollars cheaper, new and unopened and the seller then takes a 7.9 percent hit on the success fee, trademe's success fee.
I guess it's different country to country.

I live in the South Island :)

My friends who moved to Aussie did for the work and better weather.
Too hot for me though, I like a bit of cold and struggle with anything over 30 degrees.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Well Gumtree was a giveaway hehe.
Here the depreciation is pretty much the same for galaxy and iphone, retail stores don't really drop the prices of either for a year or so.
Trademe, which is like Gumtree but with more options and a seller's fee, has both iphones and galaxies hundreds of dollars cheaper, new and unopened and the seller then takes a 7.9 percent hit on the success fee, trademe's success fee.
I guess it's different country to country.

I live in the South Island :)

My friends who moved to Aussie did for the work and better weather.
Too hot for me though, I like a bit of cold and struggle with anything over 30 degrees.

Ok, Gumtree can be a nightmare here especially for selling phones, easiest thing i ever sold was my sons car before he left, we will probably only do North Island this time, I live North Coast NSW, summer is only 28-32 normally but humidity is high, it's out west that gets higher temps.
Am looking forward too it never been to NZ, if you had of told me 10 years ago i would have 20 year old son living in Aukland with a NZ licence i would of said you are mad :)
As long as he doesn't start following the warriors or all blacks i will be ok ;) Cricket i don't care we are cheats :(

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
https://forerunner.com.au/smart-phones/most-popular-messaging-platforms/

Interesting messaging app numbers...
[doublepost=1529646200][/doublepost]
Ok, Gumtree can be a nightmare here especially for selling phones, easiest thing i ever sold was my sons car before he left, we will probably only do North Island this time, I live North Coast NSW, summer is only 28-32 normally but humidity is high, it's out west that gets higher temps.
Am looking forward too it never been to NZ, if you had of told me 10 years ago i would have 20 year old son living in Aukland with a NZ licence i would of said you are mad :)
As long as he doesn't start following the warriors or all blacks i will be ok ;) Cricket i don't care we are cheats :(

The Warriors! I'd feel sorry for him if he was a fan, they can be up 30-0 with 10 minutes to go and still blow it.
State of Origin this Sunday (strange day, usually Wednesday), guess I who root for? hehe. Thurston was the man.

Have a safe trip, there's lots of nutters on our roads, watch out for trucks! Seriously.

Last edited:

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
https://forerunner.com.au/smart-phones/most-popular-messaging-platforms/

Interesting messaging app numbers...
[doublepost=1529646200][/doublepost]

The Warriors! I'd feel sorry for him if he was a fan, they can be up 30-0 with 10 minutes to go and still blow it.
State of Origin this Sunday (strange day, usually Wednesday), guess I who root for? hehe. Thurston was the man.

Have a safe trip, there's lots of nutters on our roads, watch out for trucks! Seriously.

Thanks, couldn't be any worse than here.
Yeah is strange on a Sunday, Didn't you know Qld run is over :) JT is the sort of player that doesn't matter what club you follow your a fan, great player and champion on and off the field, don't start me on Slater or Smith though.
If you don't know the story GI is actually from 1 hour south of me :(

Reactions: Klyster

Applemaniac7

Suspended
Mar 2, 2018
So Cal.
S9 will be like every other Samsung eventually, a old dog getting out .

Do you own 5 year old versions of every handset Samsung has ever made, or are you just spouting rubbish?
[doublepost=1529682279][/doublepost]
S9 is a great phone but the software lets it down badly with basically no updates. If the OP is ok with that then he will be happy with a Samsung device.

No updates , , do you live under a bridge?

My wife's 3 year old s6 edge has just received an update last month. What is your agenda with cast iron lies?

Reactions: koigirl

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Do you own 5 year old versions of every handset Samsung has ever made, or are you just spouting rubbish?

This has been the experience for many people on the S7 line, myself included. Dunno about the other lines. A few people in my office have an s6 and they are chugging along fine. No Oreo update yet, but still perming well.

The S7 line did bring us the exploding note - so perhaps this was just a bad year all around for Samsung. I hear better things about the s8 and s9, but the same nagging complaints about stuttering OS performance and slow system updates.

No updates , , do you live under a bridge?

My wife's 3 year old s6 edge has just received an update last month. What is your agenda with cast iron lies?

It's an exaggeration, for sure. But the point is there - updates are slower then even Samsung promises. And their promised timelines (which they often miss) are already slow! I don't mean security updates. Those generally come along fairly regularly. I give credit to them for that. But the updates to the latest version of Android are always slow to arrive on Samsung flagships. if Samsung changes that, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Then again, I recently read a bunch of reviews on Motorola.com on one of their phones. There were pretty consistent complaints about updates not coming as quickly promised, and in my experience Moto is pretty fast compared to other non-google manufacturers.

IMO, if the latest OS and feature updates are important to people, there are only two safe choices: iPhone or Pixel.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
This has been the experience for many people on the S7 line, myself included. Dunno about the other lines. A few people in my office have an s6 and they are chugging along fine. No Oreo update yet, but still perming well.

The S7 line did bring us the exploding note - so perhaps this was just a bad year all around for Samsung. I hear better things about the s8 and s9, but the same nagging complaints about stuttering OS performance and slow system updates.

It's an exaggeration, for sure. But the point is there - updates are slower then even Samsung promises. And their promised timelines (which they often miss) are already slow! I don't mean security updates. Those generally come along fairly regularly. I give credit to them for that. But the updates to the latest version of Android are always slow to arrive on Samsung flagships. if Samsung changes that, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Then again, I recently read a bunch of reviews on Motorola.com on one of their phones. There were pretty consistent complaints about updates not coming as quickly promised, and in my experience Moto is pretty fast compared to other non-google manufacturers.

IMO, if the latest OS and feature updates are important to people, there are only two safe choices: iPhone or Pixel.
The thing is the newest Android updates bring nothing new and different to Samsung devices, in fact the only thing they bring is features which already existed in the Galaxy S3 so no Samsung owner is missing anything without the latest Android Update, do when it comes to Security Updates which is the most important thing, they are released frequentely.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The thing is the newest Android updates bring nothing new and different to Samsung devices, in fact the only thing they bring is features which already existed in the Galaxy S3 so no Samsung owner is missing anything without the latest Android Update, do when it comes to Security Updates which is the most important thing, they are released frequently.

There's more to an update than you seem to think. It isn't just tacking features on, its also system improvements in terms of things like BT, battery life, API fixes, and so on.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The thing is the newest Android updates bring nothing new and different to Samsung devices, in fact the only thing they bring is features which already existed in the Galaxy S3 so no Samsung owner is missing anything without the latest Android Update, do when it comes to Security Updates which is the most important thing, they are released frequentely.
you're right for the most part. Some updates contain security fixes and little minor tweaks to existing apps.
But most are little incremental updates that no one will notice.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015

I just got the android Oreo update on my S7. That was a lot of new stuff.

Most everything before that was security patches. I had 5 or 6 of those in 2+ years.

Reactions: Michael Goff

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
you're right for the most part. Some updates contain security fixes and little minor tweaks to existing apps.
But most are little incremental updates that no one will notice.
This is true. As much as I moan about it, every OEM has their own take on android so whatever google gets up on that stage and announces at I/O by the time it comes to non pixel phones, the final version gets changed so not all of the features come through as google set out on the stage. Some things will be implemented, others not and some will be implemented in a different way. So in the end it's not really an issue.

Reactions: koigirl and jamezr

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
You should stick with Pixel or Essential. Essential has been excellent on software updates.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I just got the android Oreo update on my S7. That was a lot of new stuff.

Most everything before that was security patches. I had 5 or 6 of those in 2+ years.
Name all of the new stuff point by point that you got on your S7.
I'm genuinely curious to know.

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013

I live in Sweden and myself and everyone I know uses iMessage.. If you have an iPhone it's a no-brainer to use iMessage if you ask me, better looking than all the other messaging apps.

Reactions: PhoneMe1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.