Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

trocLas

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
Safari's private browsing tabs are independent from each other. I would like to know if it is possible to make them connected (e.g. I log in to a forum in one tab and in the others I am still logged in to the same forum).

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
UK
Safari's private browsing tabs are independent from each other. I would like to know if it is possible to make them connected (e.g. I log in to a forum in one tab and in the others I am still logged in to the same forum).

It sounds like you don't understand what private browsing is! If the browsing is private then each tab can't know what the other is up to.

trocLas

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2013
But like in Mavericks, private browsing implies that all of the tabs in Incognito window were private, but not from each other. Just private from the normal window..

bluefirex

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
Germany
Chrome has this feature where you are logged in across tabs in private browsing mode (but the tabs still don't know what the other does, they only share cookies).

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
UK
Shake to show cursor still dissent work.

Works fine on my MacBook Pro running GM Candidate (did somebody ask what GM stands for? It's Gold Master – the colour of the CD/DVD-ROM that would be sent off for mastering once upon a time when we still used physical media).

But like in Mavericks, private browsing implies that all of the tabs in Incognito window were private, but not from each other. Just private from the normal window..

I seem to recall reading about how private browsing was tweaked for El Cap, or perhaps Yosemite, but I can't find it now. Either way, it's down to design goals – Safari's devs want privacy in each tab, while Chrome's devs just want a private instance of Chrome running where tabs can feasibly know what other tabs are up to.

Reactions: ErikGrim

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Works fine on my MacBook Pro running GM Candidate (did somebody ask what GM stands for? It's Gold Master – the colour of the CD/DVD-ROM that would be sent off for mastering once upon a time when we still used physical media).

I seem to recall reading about how private browsing was tweaked for El Cap, or perhaps Yosemite, but I can't find it now. Either way, it's down to design goals – Safari's devs want privacy in each tab, while Chrome's devs just want a private instance of Chrome running where tabs can feasibly know what other tabs are up to.

Doesn't work for me. Worked in the betas, but after i upgraded my working copy of yosemite to Al Capitan GM it stopped.

tombiscuit

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2015
UK
Doesn't work for me. Worked in the betas, but after i upgraded my working copy of yosemite to Al Capitan GM it stopped.

Hmmm... I wonder if we can track down why. Are you using an official Apple pointing device, like a trackpad or Magic Mouse? Or a third-party mouse? I can't imagine Apple limiting this to just their own hardware, but you never know...

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Hmmm... I wonder if we can track down why. Are you using an official Apple pointing device, like a trackpad or Magic Mouse? Or a third-party mouse? I can't imagine Apple limiting this to just their own hardware, but you never know...

Yes. Magic Mouse and trackpad. Both have same issue.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
John I know this sounds a bit antsi but we're trying to help you here. It's not our fault this doesn't work for you. There's no need to be so short with us. More info would be helpful.

It's probably just some upgrade problem. I haven't tried to delete mouse plist. Maybe that will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.