Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rachalmers

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
UK
I believe you can also disable Rootless by accessing Security Configuration from the Recovery Mode. If you are unhappy with command line switches. You can turn on/off System Integrity Protection as it's called.

Updated 6/13/15:

Note - Lets keep this focused on "The little things" and not features demoed at the keynote or listed on the El Capitan page http://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan-preview/

Mac OS X El Capitan (Developer Preview 1, Build 15A179w):

• Mission Control
    • Space previews are only show when mouse is moved to top of screen in Mission Control
    • Background is no longer blurred
  • Rootless is now in effect
    • disk-utill-rootless-png.559983
    • You can no longer modify System files with sudo
    • To disable rootless security open terminal and enter
      • Code:
        sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0";osascript -e 'tell app "loginwindow" to «event aevtrrst»'

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
Anyone know how to pin windows in split view so I don't have to keep doing it on restart?
I don't think that's possible. What exactly are you trying to do? Always keep certain windows in split view? Are you checking the box "Reopen windows when I log in"?

shadylane

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
I don't think that's possible. What exactly are you trying to do? Always keep certain windows in split view? Are you checking the box "Reopen windows when I log in"?
I do have the box checked. I have already pin certain apps to open in windows, but would love them to open in split view too.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
You can delete individual files from the Trash! Right click on a file and press "Delete Immediately".

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
You can delete individual files from the Trash! Right click on a file and press "Delete Immediately".
Wow - this is awesome. I hate it when a friend's hard drive is plugged into my Mac and I want to empty the trash to get rid of something on my computer - and it would also empty the trash on their hard drive, which may be something they don't want.

The Mac Trash has finally caught up with the Windows trash after like... 20 years? :D

hugomingoia

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
New York
Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but there is the 'Swipe to delete' thing for Messages conversations too!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-10-01 16.23.46.png
    Screenshot 2015-10-01 16.23.46.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 297
Reactions: sflomenb

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
El Capitan changed the blink-confirmation behaviour. No longer do the selected menu items blink two-times as confirmation selection. Now, it's just one slow blink.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
El Capitan changed the blink-confirmation behaviour. No longer do the selected menu items blink two-times as confirmation selection. Now, it's just one slow blink.
I don't believe it did; I just checked my old PowerBook running Tiger and the menu item blink behaviour is the same there as on my Retina MacBook Pro running El Capitan.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Agreed with the post above, there isn't any difference apparent to me. Even checked on my G3 Pismo running 10.3.9 Panther, just to verify :)

Hanterdro

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
  • Mail
    • Deleting E-Mail is fixed.
      Before 10.11: Focus jumped randomly up or down after a deleting.
      With 10.11: If you press the arrow key down before you delete the focus will stay for the Mails on the same position. If you press the up arrow key (one time), each deletion will focus the mail above.
  • Other Enhancements
    • Save Dialog lost the ability to create new directories via right click. In exchange the save dialog can now rename files and folders via right click. The Button for a new directory is still there.
      This makes a lot of sense: If a new folder was created before OS X 10.11 in the save dialog via right click a folder with ne name "new folder" appeared, which could only renamed in finder :)

Reactions: gklka

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Any way I can fix the dock, making it a bit smoother when I point the mouse towards it? I have it hidden at the bottom, and when I move my mouse to use the dock, it just pops up quickly. I like when it use to slide up, then back down after a few seconds. Is there a way to go back to that?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I just noticed the ability to airplay from various sources. Let me say that made my day!

Oh, and Youtube (and presumably other HTML 5) videos now move to their own space when you full screen them.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
This OSX update is the best in years! Made my rMBP 13" 2015 much faster and smoother than ever, and the split screen is so useful!

koifish22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2014
Pale Blue Dot
Any way I can fix the dock, making it a bit smoother when I point the mouse towards it? I have it hidden at the bottom, and when I move my mouse to use the dock, it just pops up quickly. I like when it use to slide up, then back down after a few seconds. Is there a way to go back to that?

I don't think it's supposed to act like that. Mine still does the sliding animation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.