Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
In less than 5 months, we'll likely see our first Preview of OS X 10.11 at WWDC.

What features/refinements do you want to see? Siri seems like a new feature, but that's been speculated since 10.9.

(To get this out of the way: yes, we all want to see bugs fixed, some people want Snow Leopard back, some people want the Mavericks look back etc. etc.)

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Full scale retreat from the habit of hiding 'advanced' features behind a "hold down the option key while..." in absolutely random places throughout the OS.
If you're going to pull stuff like that Apple, throw us bone with maybe a simple . indicating items that may change whenever some command key or other is down. OS X is supposed to be an OS that we can use to get stuff done, not some maze in the Kingdom of frotzing Frobozz.

You could mention the new convention in your newly updated Human Interface Guidelines.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Really all I would like out of it would be for Apple to use this as a release to optimize the OS and not add any major new features. I think it would be wonderful if they could get it to run faster than Yosemite on the same hardware.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Only bug fixes. No new features. 100% compatibility with programs that run under Yosemite. I'd love to get another year's life out of Aperture and Parallels.

Reactions: groove-agent

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
My wishlist:

• New filesystem with transactions, snapshots and relational permissions
  • OpenGL next
  • Smarter spotlight window (does not need to be moveable, but it shouldn't enlarge itself when doing calculations)
  • Bugfixes and more polishing ;)

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I do wish Apple would once again let me position my dock at the lower left corner of my main display, with all growth to the right. The auto-center format moves icons around too much depending on what I have open.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Green Button - Default Behaviour

Allow the user to change the default behaviour of the green button in System Preferences. Green button default behaviour can be set to - zoom, maximise or fullscreen. If zoom or maximise is set as default behaviour option click activates fullscreen mode instead of the other way around.

anp27

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm pretty sure we'll be able to move the Spotlight window soon enough, although it's not that much of an issue for me. I type in a few letters to do a Search, hit Enter/Return and bam the Spotlight window is gone.

Siri on the Mac would be dope. Windows snapping, features that I get from Better Touch Tool built in, lower RAM consumption.

And of course, bug fixes.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I would love to see iTunes broken up into:
• Podcasts app (for podcasts)
• Music (for audio files)
• Videos (for you know, videos)
• And a new "iOS" app that handles all syncing, apps etc. for iDevices

And I would really love it if Apple would extend the dark menubar option to a full dark GUI (windows, etc.) But I know that this is probably never going to happen.

Other than that, bug fixes, speed ups, etc.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Setting the 'wishes' aside for a moment, I think it is possible to make a fairly reasonable prediction of what we can expect in OS X 10.11. There are two basic things to consider here, IMO. First, OS X 10.10/iOS 8 introduced a new visual metalanguage. I think its fairly safe to assume that this metalanguage is here to stay (of course, it will be tweaked and optimised). Second, there is Swift, which is designed to promote safer, faster and more performant (in some areas) programming. Thus, I believe that Apple will attempt to rewrite some of the frameworks and core applications in Swift, while tweaking overall performance and polishing the UI.

Let's not forget that iOS and OS X share the same kernel and framework code, so most improvement in iOS core will also directly benefit OS X and vice versa. There are already some hints that iOS 9 will focus on stability and optimisation. If this is true, than I have no doubt that 10.11 will have a similar focus.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Fix bugs, not that is has really affected me
Fix SMB networking so I can copy files to a network drive instead of getting file is in use BS
Allow window sizes to be managed easier, i.e. stop them changing sizes from what I set
Allow Finder column width to be set manually and stay or by some parameters
Allow Airplay video from Mac to ATV to work as well as iPad to ATV.

Get the 3500 Android features added from the S5 to iOS......... :)

Reactions: iwan073
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.