Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
What I want:

- More refining of the design.
- Full Dark Mode GUI.
- Stability update. (Bug fixes, optimization, etc)

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Native ZFS support / new filesystem.
TRIM support for all SSDs.
Focus on performance and stability.
iTunes, give me my side bar back :(

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
- Brand new, re-written iTunes/Beats app.
- Improved iCloud Drive service, with options to make folders hidden/available (e.g Automator, Quicktime...)
- Siri
- Moveable Spotlight window

mrnoglue

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Great thread! Let me add to the list:

Major Features:
  1. Refresh iTunes: Split the App into several Apps, i.e. music, movies, etc.
  2. iCloud enhancements: Stability and bug fixes plus more storage!
  3. iWork overhaul: Focus on productivity, ease of use, and extensions.
  4. Bug Fixes: Focus on all of the minor bugs that have been ignored in the past four releases.

Minor Features:
  1. Change the color of the default folder icon to a little darker shade of blue.
  2. Change the color of the default external drive icon to a little darker shade of yellow.
  3. Better font rendering on non-retina displays.
  4. Better icon rendering on non-retina displays.
  5. Add option to change behavior of the green button.
  6. Flesh out dark-mode

And, that's pretty much it. 10.10 is a little too bright for my eyes. I'd like to see it settle down a bit and look a little more professional. Other than that, I'm happy!

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
I'd be interested in seeing the new 'Photos' app we were supposed to be getting in Yosemite, I'll be interested in seeing how much they change it up.

I've acquired a significant collection now and spent a lot of time inserting GPS location tags on photos so I can see where I've been on the map, how they don't scrap that and turn the program into a larger iOS app which I can't stand in comparison.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
I'd be interested in seeing the new 'Photos' app we were supposed to be getting in Yosemite, I'll be interested in seeing how much they change it up.

I've acquired a significant collection now and spent a lot of time inserting GPS location tags on photos so I can see where I've been on the map, how they don't scrap that and turn the program into a larger iOS app which I can't stand in comparison.

it's coming in 10.10.3

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
1. Bug fixes.
2. Bug fixes.
3. Bug fixes.
4. Full OpenGL 4.5 support.
5. Bug fixes.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Nothing special please! Just small refinements everywhere:
  • Finder windows and icons should be consistent, I hate how every single folder has a totally different spacing and icon size and there's no way to consolidate them automatically. They also change randomly every once in a while without you changing this.
  • Spotlight in the middle of the screen is somehow ALWAYS in the way of something. Want to convert a currency? How much was it again? Oh damn it's behind the window.
  • Time Machine could really do with multiple backup "tasks" such as backing up the Mac to an external, then backing up another external to yet another external. Many people use external drives due to the small size of SSDs, and those should be backed up too, not just your Mac.
  • Sort out bugs that have been around since Lion like gestures that stop working every once in a while
  • When you QuickLook a photo in Icon view, then decide to view the other photos, it would be REALLY handy to just be able to press "Right" and have the selection wrap to the next icon even if it's one row below... Yes, like in Windows. Because it's useful. Selecting all and THEN doing QuickLook is an extra step and you loose your place if you don't want to start from the beginning again.
  • At least some sort of options for sleep delay. Why the hell can't I tell the computer when to sleep? Or at least prevent it from sleeping if I'm in the middle of a damn file transfer or download! I get so many failed transfers now because they no longer prevent the computer from sleeping for some reason.
  • When entering Full Screen Mode, why do I end up at the far right hand side of my desktops? It makes no sense to have to swipe left 5 times to get back to where I was. Also, when in Full Screen Mode, why can't I see the desktop? You can't drag and drop any files to and from a full screen app. That makes full screen annoying to use after more than 10 minutes if you tend to work with files a lot.
  • iTunes. What the hell is up with those stupid little icons in the top left, that once you click "Apps" you still have to click "Store" in the top middle part in order to get to the app store. Or once you click "Music" you have the choice between "My Music", "Playlists" and... "Store". I mean wtf. Before you had all of these in the side bar, which is still there, but doesn't contain these. It's so damn stupid.

Last edited:

Sabretooth78

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Western NY
- Restore my faith in Apple's ability to create an operating system that works and does what it's asked to.
- Actually compel me to upgrade after being burned by such an atrocity as 10.10.

After experiencing Microsoft OS X 10.10, my faith is shot to pieces. I've spent too much time chasing stupid little problems and futzing around trying to make things work smoothly, only to think I've fixed it and it comes right back. Exactly the same reasons I ditched Windows 6 years ago. For now, I can ditch 10.10 for 10.9, but in the future as machines fall to attrition, we're not always going to have that option.

Last edited:

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Spending more time thinking about it:

- Agreed with the bugs issue, small things like Window-server still being a RAM-hog, generally bumpiness etc.

- slight tweaks to the UI, can't believe after all these years dragging a drive to the trash-can still says 'Trash' instead of 'Eject'.

- Better third-party mouse support, certain apps like iTunes have become horrendous with an external mouse. Calendar completely negates the ability to scroll using a mouse.

- Independent scrolling-directions for different peripherals, scrolling in a mouse is different to scrolling on a trackpad, don't make them the same. Give us control!

- Window-snapping like Windows, a small option that's phenomenally helpful. I appreciate they want to push full-screen apps more but giving the option would be nice.

Last edited:

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I would love to see iTunes broken up into:
• Podcasts app (for podcasts)
• Music (for audio files)
• Videos (for you know, videos)
• And a new "iOS" app that handles all syncing, apps etc. for iDevice

I really like this idea. Basically OS X and iOS already has sperates apps for all the different formats in the iTunes Store so why not just put a "Store" button in each app (like iBooks) and just show the content format for that app. Video app - Store - TvShow And Movies.

For marketing they could bundle all these apps and call it "iTunes". Just like how garage band, iMovie, etc is under the name iLife.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2014
Another addition:

Ability to remove the notification-number things from apps like Messages and FaceTime by right clicking on the app without having to open it.

And fix Airdrop! it's become painful!

Last edited:

Amy Pond and me

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Everywhere, everywhen
- Speed, control, stability, reliability, professional feeling.
- Convenience as a higher priority than Ive's aesthetics
- Openness (ODF as standard file format for Pages, for instance)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Now I can also confidently add another point:

- OpenGL frozen at its current state, Vulkan support in OS X 10.11

blaichch

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Augsburg, Germany
All I want...

- Performance improvements
- Bug fixes
- Bug fixes for Pages
- Working hyphenation in Pages
- More features for Pages
- And more bug fixes

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
A gesture for switching between the two notification panels.

The ability to put tags into different categories on the sidebar.

Keep the movable fullscreen playback controls (I don't like how they've locked it to the bottom in the latest version of iTunes).

Fix the bloody call button in contacts/spotlight.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Safari Mouse Gestures

I like the idea of additional mouse gestures for Safari - similar to Opera.
In addition to back / forward - Close Tab, Open New tab and Refresh page.

I have got into such a habit of using mouse gestures in Opera that I try to use them in Safari by mistake!

Also I would like to have a "reopen last closed tabs" option, especially for those times you accidentally close a tab. Apple should also bring back the "reset Safari" menu option which allows you to chose what browser data is deleted instead of deleting everything i.e. cookies but not history etc...

Last edited:

merlinmage

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2014
1.) Bug Fixes / Stability
2.) Kill QT already and replace it with AVFoundation completely
3.) Improve drivers from both NVIDIA and AMD
4.) That filesystem, jeez!
5.) Lower CPU/GPU requirements for the UI, which no one cares about when using Apps/doing productive work

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I want no 10.11 at all. It does not take a new OS to improve the GUI or iTunes or anything else. The Annual Mac OS Fashion Show has resulted in lots of problems that seem to never get fixed.

Yosemite still suffers from problems that Mavericks did not have. How about it if Apple grows up, gets responsible and refines their OS like they used to. From a "just works" perspective the good ol' days are long gone.

s-hatland

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
i agree with others, lets keep yosemite, focus on making it stable. yearly releases are completely unnecessary and uncalled for. A new release should include new features and until you have 5 or so good ones, just focus on making the current version better and better, whether it be yearly or biannually or longer.

That said, we need 3rd party SSD Trim support. It's unbelievable this is even a thing.

Also, can I get a monthly calender view in my Today section of the Notification Center? I know what today's date is, I need to know how to plan the rest of the week/month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.