Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laurence Eckert

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
I would really love Siri for the Mac. But not have it full screen so we can work and look something up at the exact same time. If they allow you to use dictation on your Mac, you should be able to use Siri as well.

punchwalk

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
I'll probably get flamed for this, but here's my list:
1. Modify the icons and color palette to make things less ugly/cartoon-y.
2. Add back a little bit of depth and shading to the UI elements.

Reactions: !!!

imoxja

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Alabama
  • ZFS or some kind of newer filesystem
  • Siri with more functionality
  • Better way to get to the widgets from Notification Center (swiping and then clicking is just too annoying)
  • Safari improvements
  • Some awesome things that they always throw into OS X that I probably would've never though of
  • As always, bug fixes and speed optimizations

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
Minimal new features. Release to follow iOS 9's lead and focus on bug fixes and performance improvements rather than shiny new features that don't work properly.

Siri is probably the only new feature they should work on and its pretty much a given it will be in the next OS X release given Microsoft are chucking Cortana into Windows 10. Spotlight is probably the logical place where they will integrate Siri

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Allow Finder column width to be set manually and stay or by some parameters

So, I recently discovered that holding option while adjusting the column width sets the default width for all new windows. I wish these things were documented someplace...

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
It would be really nice if OS X 10.11 brings these to the table

The first wish has to be a reworked Finder app. Although Finder was just rewritten in Snow Leopard for Cocoa and 64-bit support, it has slowly became more and more problematic and performs poorer version by version (maybe beside Mavericks) within the previous 5 years.

It now has awkwardly-laggy scrolling, half-baked CoverFlow appearance and a bunch of performance issues.

It would be really nice to see a revamp of Finder app, maybe taking cues from iOS but still offers the advanced features we now know and love. Maybe like Logic Pro X where certain functionalities can be enabled on demand? Just enabling syncing in Finder is not enough, adding more extension points to Finder would also be really nice. Imagine being able to QuickLook non-standard videos with 3rd party codecs, quickly view thumbnails of non-standard image formats, or do a fast file comparison right within Finder. If this happens, sandboxing will be a issue though and Apple needs to sort that out.

From what we already know, every image processing feature in Photos app is actually integrated with the mechanism of extensions. So it would also really make more sense to bring extensibility to Photos for OS X. This would bring feature parity to Photos app for iOS and help professional photographers better organize and enhance their shots.

In current versions of OS X, filesystem shown in Finder differs from ones shown in dialog boxes, (from Mail app, for example). It would be nice to be able to see all photos within Photos library, music within iTunes library and videos created by iMovie right in Finder.

Maybe Apple should also tweak UI elements a bit. The disjointed arrows should be jointed. Maybe San Francisco can be tweaked and brought to OS X. It would also be nice to improve UI font choice for Asian languages. Many HongKong and Taiwan users have been long complaining about STHeiTi TC, which is designed by mainland Chinese designers who knows little about traditional Chinese typography.

Oh, and please fix the Finder full-screen background black-out glitch. The Image Capture and performance monitor scrolling issue. Various memory leaks. Interference caused by poorly implemented Wi-Fi direct drivers.

And that new, long overdue filesystem.. Maybe in OS X 10.12 or 10.13 or OS XI?

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
It would be really nice if OS X 10.11 brings these to the table

It would be really nice if OS X 10.11 brings these to the table:

The first wish has to be a reworked Finder app. Although Finder was just rewritten in Snow Leopard for Cocoa and 64-bit support, it has slowly became more and more problematic and performs poorer version by version (maybe beside Mavericks) within the previous 5 years.

It now has awkwardly-laggy scrolling, half-baked CoverFlow appearance and a bunch of performance issues.

It would be really nice to see a revamp of Finder app, maybe taking cues from iOS but still offers the advanced features we now know and love. Maybe like Logic Pro X where certain functionalities can be enabled on demand? Just enabling syncing in Finder is not enough, adding more extension points to Finder would also be really nice. Imagine being able to QuickLook non-standard videos with 3rd party codecs, quickly view thumbnails of non-standard image formats, or do a fast file comparison right within Finder. If this happens, sandboxing will be a issue though and Apple needs to sort that out.

From what we already know, every image processing feature in Photos app is actually integrated with the mechanism of extensions. So it would also really make more sense to bring extensibility to Photos for OS X. This would bring feature parity to Photos app for iOS and help professional photographers better organize and enhance their shots.

In current versions of OS X, filesystem shown in Finder differs from ones shown in dialog boxes, (from Mail app, for example). It would be nice to be able to see all photos within Photos library, music within iTunes library and videos created by iMovie right in Finder.

Maybe Apple should also tweak UI elements a bit. The disjointed arrows should be jointed. Maybe San Francisco can be tweaked and brought to OS X. It would also be nice to improve UI font choice for Asian languages. Many HongKong and Taiwan users have been long complaining about STHeiTi TC, which is designed by mainland Chinese designers who knows little about traditional Chinese typography.

Oh, and please fix the Finder full-screen background black-out glitch. The Image Capture and performance monitor scrolling issue. Various memory leaks. Interference caused by poorly implemented Wi-Fi direct drivers.

And that new, long overdue filesystem.. Maybe in OS X 10.12 or 10.13 or OS XI?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Now I'm lost.

Finder should take cues from iOS? I've owned a number of iOS devices and I'm 100% unsure what version of Finder you're on about. Honestly, I didn't think iOS had a "finder" in the sense that maybe I'm trying to figure out.

I like the idea of enabling features on demand, but I think that is somewhat out of the spirit of Apple. If they still want to tout that it just works, then having seemingly advanced features like that out of the box may be problematic. In many ways things do just work. Out of the box everything should be there, but deeper more advanced features wouldn't be so bad. For example, do people really use coverflow in finder?

I'm totally unsure what you mean by extensibility in Photos. I basically do not find Photos as an app professionals are going to land on. Since the Aperture announcement, I believe may are looking for viable alternatives and that isn't Photos. I could be wrong. I'm not a pro.

The rest I'm going to sit on for a bit. You may be on to something, but in some cases I don't know if you'll ever see what you want.

efiorio

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2015
10.11 wishlist

1. MENU BAR always showing in full screen mode! It's really lame! Please Apple, at least the option! It's useless without the menu bar! I hate the bouncing behavior! It's a joke! It's really bad!

2. WINDOWS have to remember how they were the last time I've close them! FINDER in primis! Even the full screen mode! Some remembers it, some nope, how can this be such a mess and unfinished?

3. RED BUTTON has to close the applications! Who the fòòk needs to close the windows and have the application still running? If so, push the fù***ng YELLOW and minimize it! With a better animation maybe!

4. LAUNCHPAD has to be customizable! It's fantastic and beautiful, but now it's a complete self updating nonsense mess, and it took hours to ordinate it! How it cannot be simple and clean??

5. I want to disable the DOCK! It's old! I want only a better LAUNCHPAD!

6. iCloud KEYCHAIN. It simply DON'T work!

Please Apple I will kill for this little stupid OPTIONS!

zxy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
New Zealand
3. RED BUTTON has to close the applications! Who the fòòk needs to close the windows and have the application still running? If so, push the fù***ng YELLOW and minimize it! With a better animation maybe!

There are many cases where someone would would want to not have the extra memory used by a certain window of an application but would want other windows open.

And you can change the window minimise animation.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014

I can think of quite a few examples where I would not want the app to quit when pressing the red button. For example I want to close an email I am reading - I don't want to close the entire app. I want to close 1 safari window but not the other, multiple word documents, have itunes playing music but the app not open.... etc etc

By the way you can use the keyboard shortcuts (very handy):

* Quit App (all windows): Command + Q

* Close Window or Tab: Command + W

5. I want to disable the DOCK! It's old! I want only a better LAUNCHPAD!

You can download/buy an app called Ubar which gives you a taskbar and start menu like windows has instead of the mac dock. Personally I much prefer the dock and have never used Ubar. (I just had a look at the website and you have to buy it, but there is a free trial.)

As OSX and Ios continue to merge closer together, I am sure we will see an option for a more permanent launch pad as an alternative to the dock. Personally I hope both are kept.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I can think of quite a few examples where I would not want the app to quit when pressing the red button. For example I want to close an email I am reading - I don't want to close the entire app. I want to close 1 safari window but not the other, multiple word documents, have itunes playing music but the app not open.... etc etc

By the way you can use the keyboard shortcuts (very handy):

* Quit App (all windows): Command + Q

* Close Window or Tab: Command + W

Or if you want to close all your tabs without quoting.

Plus many programs quit automatically when you close all the windows and switch to another app.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
My wishlist, independent of what is plausible:

• handoff between itunes & ios itunes
  • less bloated itunes (move apps and iphone sync in a new app, for all I care movies too)
  • update pages and numbers to a professional level! most important for me actually :eek:
  • get all the backgrounds they use in the online apple store as backgrounds in 10.11 :cool:

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Super thumbs up for #1, 8!!!!!!, 9, 11, 12!!

1. Bug fixes. Obviously.
2. More 3D in the UI. Yeah, I know Ivy loves flat, but I don't.
3. Make the green button do zoom instead of full screen, and have alternate activate full screen. It is a Windows centric behavior which has no place on OSX, except in a few usefull cases.
4. Wake on LAN working properly. I don't count that under #1, as the behavior is so erratic and has been so since Lion, that it deserves its own entry.
5. Don't have Finder lock up on me whenever it is doing something. They said they rewrote Finder a couple of releases ago, but well, it didn't do much.
6. Proper SMB support.
7. Siri in OSX.
8. A larger Spotlight window, with a clear listing of where the files are located. The currently overlay on whatever random file you are looking at is just redicilously badly done.
9. Have Finder remember my window sizes between reboots (Really!).
10. More colors in Finder.
11. Throw iTunes 12 in the trash. How on Earth they thought that was a step forward in useability, I just don't know.
12. Make iPhone/iPad-iTunes syncing work.
13. Stop making UI changes for the sake of changes. I loathe it.
14. Stability and speed. Snow Leopard the Sequel! Roawr!

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Hmm...maybe it would be useful in the who knows how many cMBPs and white MacBooks that people still use? And apple does know that people replace their HDs and SSDs in older iMacs and Mac Minis.

The cMPB is still one of their best selling MacBooks, so people are buying them, and there would be a heap of them in use.

Hopefully 10.11 keeps the same system requirements, and refines 10.10.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Realistically I would just want 10.11 to work faster on the same hardware. I think it is reasonable to expect that 10.11 will be a Snow Leopard/Mavericks-esque release anyway. Each update so far has improved my experience with 10.10 and I would like that to continue into 10.11. I thought iOS 7 was a buggy mess as well and I love iOS 8. I anticipate that that will be Apple's trajectory with 10.11.

Oh and it would be nice to resume the same web search functionality to Spotlight as was present in 10.9 and previous. I don't like that Spotlight chooses when to allow me to search the web or not. Also, apple, please include Google in your spotlight search options. I don't care if you disincentivize it by not allowing as rich results as the current Bing results. Please, just bring Google back to Spotlight.

Vanoord

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014

I do.

Mail, for example. I want it running so it fetches mail (and I see that from the icon in the dock) but I don't want the minimised window taking up space unnecessarily in the dock.

Don't think that's a particularly strange way of working.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
I can't help to notice how most wants OS X 10.11 to return back to the old UI..

Apple is very aggressive with their new UI and want it on all of their products. If Apple changed back to the Mavericks look, it will not only be bad marketing but bad decision making.

Sure they could modify the UI in certain areas but I don't want to go through another OS X release that requires at least one year to be perfected in terms of performance. Even Yosemite is still not as good as it should be right now and it's been out since October. (In terms of performance)

OS X 10.11 will clean up the performance of Yosemite like Mavericks did for Mountain Lion. (With the exception of new features)

But I will not argue that the previous look had more depth to it, but look around you, almost every OS out there is heading for that flat look. Android, Windows 10, Chrome OS and etc. It's one of those times where you either get with the times or stay back in time with older OS releases. With Aqua being the main UI style since the first OS X, you can expect this new look to stick around at least 4-5 years more. They might modify it but the aim for the UI look & feel will be there for a long while.

Last edited:

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I can't help to notice how most wants OS X 10.11 to return back to the old UI..

I don't mind the UI change. I like the flat look but think it could have a tiny bit more dimension added in the future. It looks fresh and modern. I think the icons could look a little less saturated and cartoony, however these really aren't issues for me and I'm quite use to the new look. Going back to Mavericks and it actually looks a bit odd.

I hope OSX 10.11 (or OSX 11 as I like to call it) is all about tweaking and refining the OSX to make it the new Snow Leopard.

P.S. Actually one request would be to give the user an option in system preferences to change the default behaviour of the green button. I would like to change the default to zoom and option click for fullscreen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.