Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Allow window sizes to be managed easier, i.e. stop them changing sizes from what I set
Allow Finder column width to be set manually and stay or by some parameters
Yes. Yes. How hard a concept is that?

Fix bugs, not that is has really affected me
Fix SMB networking so I can copy files to a network drive instead of getting file is in use BS
I've had this twice inexplicably lately, but it's not reproducible. It works 98% of the time. I haven't filed a radar for that reason. (I have an upstairs Mac Mini and a downstairs Mac Mini connected via a 802.11ac wi-fi bridge. I mirror a ~6TB video library from upstairs to downstairs, so I'm copying large files on a regular basis.)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
1. Bug fixes. Obviously.
2. More 3D in the UI. Yeah, I know Ivy loves flat, but I don't.
3. Make the green button do zoom instead of full screen, and have alternate activate full screen. It is a Windows centric behavior which has no place on OSX, except in a few usefull cases.
4. Wake on LAN working properly. I don't count that under #1, as the behavior is so erratic and has been so since Lion, that it deserves its own entry.
5. Don't have Finder lock up on me whenever it is doing something. They said they rewrote Finder a couple of releases ago, but well, it didn't do much.
6. Proper SMB support.
7. Siri in OSX.
8. A larger Spotlight window, with a clear listing of where the files are located. The currently overlay on whatever random file you are looking at is just redicilously badly done.
9. Have Finder remember my window sizes between reboots (Really!).
10. More colors in Finder.
11. Throw iTunes 12 in the trash. How on Earth they thought that was a step forward in useability, I just don't know.
12. Make iPhone/iPad-iTunes syncing work.
13. Stop making UI changes for the sake of changes. I loathe it.
14. Stability and speed. Snow Leopard the Sequel! Roawr!

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
Like many previous posters have mentioned, the rumored iOS9-like changes for Macs (aka Snow Leopard).

THISSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more features, just fix bugs and make it lean like Snow Leopard.

But come on guys on the real, they already have gone down a 10.11 path on whether or not it is going to be a code cleanup or feature rich buggy OS.

Might want to change the thread to 10.12 wishes :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
(To get this out of the way: yes, we all want to see bugs fixed, some people want Snow Leopard back, some people want the Mavericks look back etc. etc.)

This is all I want, Apple get back to producing solid [fairly] bug free releases. Lets do a Snow Leopard type roll out that has more changes under the hood, then eye candy.

Reactions: dmi and iwan073

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
roll out that has more changes under the hood, then eye candy.
Maybe with a cheesy "Rock Solid" graphic which Apple could plaster all over their website and in the Installer Welcome Screen:
The overall message from Apple to developers was something like this: "We're adding a ton of new things to Mac OS X that will help you write better applications and make your existing code run faster, and we're going to make sure that all this new stuff is rock-solid and as bug-free as possible. We're not going to overextend ourselves adding a raft of new customer-facing, marketing-friendly features. Instead, we're going to concentrate 100% on the things that affect you, the developers."
Zero new features for Snow Leopard at ars technica

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
  1. Fix bugs that are new in Yosemite.
  2. Improve iMovie performance with long projects (eliminate stuttering that is not present in FCP X).
  3. Change filesystem to something modern and not requiring disk repair each and every month.
  4. Make messages sync across all devices. Nowadays deleting message on one device doesn't delete it on any other.
  5. Work on graphics performance to make it at least on par with Windows/Linux.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
- Merge the Today and Notifications tabs in Notification Centre. The current layout sucks and doesn't work (same with iOS).

- Add currency and an expandable currency calculator to Notification Centre (same with iOS).

- More wallpapers

Otherwise I'm content.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
- Merge the Today and Notifications tabs in Notification Centre. The current layout sucks and doesn't work (same with iOS).

Agreed! I have to remember to go to the notifications tab only to find it full of 4-year-old notifications I saw but haven't clicked. Also, we desperately need a "clear all notifications" button.

As for what I want:
- Stability.
- Finish Dark Mode and make it what it was supposed to be, aka black everything: title bars, context menus, etc. Then add a dark mode to iOS 9.
- More stability.
- Refresh the icons slightly, especially iOS. I can't stand those icons

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I have the feeling that apps like health app will come into os so you can see how lazy you were all day.... yeah.. now we needs phones and watches and macs to get off our butts...

Siri - to me it would be useless.

Dark Mode - improved interface. current mode is really unfinished

Find my Friends App for Mac and useless apps like this.

Improved Photos App... for sure - one that supports plugins.

Extended continuity - I mean more apps being able to do so.

To be honest, I do not expect drastic UI changes... I think it will me minor tweaks.

This is what I assume they will do...

What I wish is for a little bit polished interface - a little less aggressive. I am liking the look of Yosemite but it's a little eye straining for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Improve iMovie performance with long projects (eliminate stuttering that is not present in FCP X).
iMovie isn't part of the OS, so you'll not see any improvements in 10.11. You need to wait until Apple chooses to improve that specific app.

Change filesystem to something modern and not requiring disk repair each and every month.
Two things, first, I cannot recall the last time I needed to repair the file systems on the three Macs I have in my household (and they're used daily).

secondly, I agree, the file system is old and long in the tooth, but such a change is not a trivial or easy process. Just look at the growing pains that Linux when through with ext4. (it would be simple if apple embraced ext4 but they like to create their own stuff it seems).

Work on graphics performance to make it at least on par with Windows/Linux.
That would definitely be a welcome addition

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
OS X 10.11 Wish List

I know this is a far fetch when WWDC15 is 4 months away but I thought it would be interesting to see what a lot of you would like to see Apple implement in their next OS X update.

With Yosemite giving OS X a major overhaul design wise, we can expect apple to keep the exact design just like from iOS 7 to iOS 8 but instead build on stability, performance and new features. What do you want to see improved, added or fixed?

Also with the latest "sketchy rumor" for a touch ID on Macs, Magic Mouse and the track pad, which could be put on macs if they do it the right way, but it's not a "must have" feature, at least for me.

Me personally, I hope they fix Retina performance massively. Considering all of the translucency makes OS X lag, especially on a scaled resolution like 1680x1050.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I would love to see iTunes broken up into:
• Podcasts app (for podcasts)
• Music (for audio files)
• Videos (for you know, videos)
• And a new "iOS" app that handles all syncing, apps etc. for iDevices

And I would really love it if Apple would extend the dark menubar option to a full dark GUI (windows, etc.) But I know that this is probably never going to happen.

Other than that, bug fixes, speed ups, etc.

Yes, yes! I completely agree with this and included it in my list below too. :) Some of this overlaps with my iOS wishlist, which I already posted in another thread in that forum, but here goes...

- Siri for OS X
- Notification Center sync. I want to see all my notifications on all my devices (Mac included) and be able to dismiss them across the board from any device. At this point it's just silly that we can't see iPhone notifications in the Mac's Notification Center or dismiss iOS notifications from another device, and I'm so sick of still seeing missed iPhone calls from two days ago on my Mac's NC as well! Not helpful at all.
-Group FaceTime
-Visual voicemail in the cloud / Phone app for OS X (separate from FaceTime). Now that we can answer calls on other devices, we need a way to listen to voicemails when a call is missed and a dialer on the iPad and Mac.
- Totally redesigned iTunes. I would go so far as to say I would be perfectly happy splitting it up into an iTunes Store app and Music/Video apps. It's way too bloated and handles way too much right now. Personally I like the way iOS handles media better, using several focused apps instead of one huge bloated monster application. They'd still keep their famous iTunes trademark, but just for the store app.
- Ability for 3rd party apps to seamlessly utilize the keyboard playback buttons, kind of like how the playback buttons in Control Center on iOS can control whatever app last played media (like Spotify, etc).

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I have the feeling that apps like health app will come into os so you can see how lazy you were all day.... yeah.. now we needs phones and watches and macs to get off our butts...

Siri - to me it would be useless.

Dark Mode - improved interface. current mode is really unfinished

Find my Friends App for Mac and useless apps like this.

Improved Photos App... for sure - one that supports plugins.

Extended continuity - I mean more apps being able to do so.

To be honest, I do not expect drastic UI changes... I think it will me minor tweaks.

This is what I assume they will do...

What I wish is for a little bit polished interface - a little less aggressive. I am liking the look of Yosemite but it's a little eye straining for me.

Totally agree with all of this. I too would like lots of the "little things" from iOS to continue coming to the Mac. One thing I forgot to list in my post earlier was a Find my iPhone app for the Mac...I use the service way too much to find my iPhone stuck in couch cushions and the like, and it would be much more convenient to have it in a handy app rather than having to use the website.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
Full support of trim for 3rd party ssd

This would be great, but we are long overdue for a new filesystem.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/12/

But if we don't get that, then TRIM on HFS+ for all SSDs would be nice.

it would also be a nice feature if OS X on Apple hardware could match or outperform Linux on that same Apple hardware.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=apple_osx1094_ubuntu
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTg0OTQ

Reactions: dmi

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
It's no surprise that Apple will keep the major overhaul Yosemite gave OS X but instead build on performance, stability and features just like the transition from iOS 7 to iOS 8 and I have no problem with the UI being flatter.

The first and most personal important thing for me, is for them to actually give Final Cut & Logic Pro an overhaul. Not just a complete "flat" overhaul. Make it just as functional, or maybe even more functional with a eye grabbing new UI. I mean, the new iMovie UI was just too flat. It does not even fit Yosemite. I don't want THAT if you know what I mean.

I can imagine if they are working on a UI overhaul for their Pro apps, it will take some time considering they are such packed apps and a lot of their Pro users has probably not updated to Yosemite or probably don't want to. So make it optional without giving those who update more features than the people who do update.

But for OS X 10.11 I want them to build on Dark Mode. Make more of the UI darker. Like why isn't right clicking dark when you have dark mode enabled? Thats a go-figure thing that should have been there from start. But imagine Safari, Finder, Messages and all of the stock apps getting a dark theme when dark mode is enabled.

And on top of that again, let developers have their 3rd Party Apps turn into dark mode as well.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
  • New file system
  • Easier to call through iPhone (dialer?)
  • Extend the Screen Sharing.app to work with iOS
  • Siri
  • A better AirPlay API for third-party apps
  • Shared copy/paste with iOS, with clipboard history
  • Hand off for calls/FaceTime
  • Hand off for music/videos/podcasts
  • Markup for Safari
  • Group video support in FaceTime
  • Multiple FaceTime calls simultaneously
  • Notification Center sync
  • The mandatory bug fixes

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Optimise sub-pixel rendering for non-Retina devices
Optimise graphical performance on Retina devices.
Improve scrolling performance in Finder, iBooks and Image Capture.
Expand Dark mode support to application windows.
Resolve numerous graphical glitches in Finder.
Improve window resizing performance.
Rejoin back and forward buttons.
LowTide/Front Row for Mac.
Improve Safari's reliability.
A new, modern filesystem.
FaceTime Theater.
Siri for Mac.
Fix bugs.

----------

It's no surprise that Apple will keep the major overhaul Yosemite gave OS X but instead build on performance, stability and features just like the transition from iOS 7 to iOS 8 and I have no problem with the UI being flatter.

The first and most personal important thing for me, is for them to actually give Final Cut & Logic Pro an overhaul. Not just a complete "flat" overhaul. Make it just as functional, or maybe even more functional with a eye grabbing new UI. I mean, the new iMovie UI was just too flat. It does not even fit Yosemite. I don't want THAT if you know what I mean.

I can imagine if they are working on a UI overhaul for their Pro apps, it will take some time considering they are such packed apps and a lot of their Pro users has probably not updated to Yosemite or probably don't want to. So make it optional without giving those who update more features than the people who do update.

But for OS X 10.11 I want them to build on Dark Mode. Make more of the UI darker. Like why isn't right clicking dark when you have dark mode enabled? Thats a go-figure thing that should have been there from start. But imagine Safari, Finder, Messages and all of the stock apps getting a dark theme when dark mode is enabled.

And on top of that again, let developers have their 3rd Party Apps turn into dark mode as well.

This. Final Cut Pro X needs both a visual and functional update most.

houssein31

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
I would love to see iTunes broken up into:
• Podcasts app (for podcasts)
• Music (for audio files)
• Videos (for you know, videos)
• And a new "iOS" app that handles all syncing, apps etc. for iDevices

Tha would honestly be an amazing ideas, making handoff work between them..soo great

But I'm guessing there would also be an iTunes Store...

Honestly, what u mentioned is all that I want!

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
Optimise sub-pixel rendering for non-Retina devices
Optimise graphical performance on Retina devices.
Improve scrolling performance in Finder, iBooks and Image Capture.
Expand Dark mode support to application windows.
Resolve numerous graphical glitches in Finder.
Improve window resizing performance.
Rejoin back and forward buttons.
LowTide/Front Row for Mac.
Improve Safari's reliability.
A new, modern filesystem.
FaceTime Theater.
Siri for Mac.
Fix bugs.

You forgot iTunes. Scrolling through my iTunes library is stuttery as hell.

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
You forgot iTunes. Scrolling through my iTunes library is stuttery as hell.

Didn't count iTunes as part of OS X update, but yeah - scrolling and graphical transitions in iTunes 12 is bad as hell..

Heck - even the Windows version of iTunes under BootCamp has smoother graphical transitions.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Like most of you, I want big fixes, performance improvements and UI clean-up.

Slightly off topic, what I really want is a road-map (and perhaps an alpha) of 10.12 which would be targeted for 2016+. It's time for a new file system, require 64bit apps using the latest APIs (like they do on iOS), major cleanup and modernization.

These things take time for developers to adapt, so start preparing them now. They wouldn't have to release any new UI stuff at this point, just let developers have access to the major foundation improvements early.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I've promised myself not to have any wishes for 10.11. Guess I stopped caring after seeing 10.10.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
I'm getting more than a little tired of the constant yearly push for a new 10.X version number. Why can't Apple stave off their insatiable need for a yearly new marketable 10.X and just get the current version working bug free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.