Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
That said, we need 3rd party SSD Trim support. It's unbelievable this is even a thing.

Apple does not currently sell a single computer that would officially support 3rd party SSDs. Why do you find it surprising that there is no 3rd party Trim support? :confused: Not to mention that Trim is getting less and less important. Trim is a hack, has always been a hack and the sooner it becomes unnecessary so we can finally forget about it the better.

s-hatland

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
Apple does not currently sell a single computer that would officially support 3rd party SSDs. Why do you find it surprising that there is no 3rd party Trim support? :confused: Not to mention that Trim is getting less and less important. Trim is a hack, has always been a hack and the sooner it becomes unnecessary so we can finally forget about it the better.

Currently, no. But back in the good ol' days they sold a machine capable of letting the user choose to install up to 4 HDs (actually more). Not to mention the aging machines that can benefit greatly from a new SSD. Not to mention the external HD bays and enclosures taking advantage of SSDs. But without an apple logo on SSDs they don't even manufacture, we're left without TRIM, which is not a hack, but a system level function that allows efficient communication between the OS and drive that has been adopted throughout all SSD manufacturers AND operating systems sans OSX. If TRIM is such a hack, why is it enabled and used on ALL Apple shipping drives on ALL current computer offerings? Why is it so hard for Apple to allow 3rd party hard drives to use this function and give the consumer a choice? That would be akin to locking down RAM modules to only Apple branded (not manufactured) sticks and disabling certain features of 3rd party RAM.

Last edited:

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Bring back legacy color label behavior, as a preference if you will to maintain the new tags functionality.

Finder performance, scrolling around in list view, expanding folders, copying large numbers of files to new folders, opening windows, etc. in Yosemity it's all sluggish compared to OS X versions in the past. My nMP doesn't really make it that much faster than my 2009 MacBook Pro.

Better performance for 4k displays. Perhaps this is hardware, perhaps not as I was told the OS /CPU handles the scaling to 4k, but perhaps I'm wrong. I had to return my pair of 28" 4k screens things slowed down too much when using my bread winning apps- Logic 9 and X. Got a pair of 27" 2560 x 1140 screens instead that perform better, but not the best. Come on guys, I'm not gaming, just running a pro app on 2 screens with a QuickTime film on a 3rd smaller screen.

Yosemite seems 'washed out' visually. Would be nice to go back on this, always feels like I messed up my brightness - contrast on my screens..seems harder to see things.

So, make the new OS easier on the eye please, and help us spend less time quinting around it.

Im happy with the new iTunes and new photos app, and the current level of iOS integration.

Would be happy if they don't disable, revise or hamper anymore functionalities that pro users such as myself rely upon. Maybe resist the trend to keep adding extra hoops to jump through though to accomplish a task we were acomplishing faster and more elegantly before..such as Quicktime player exports.

Would love the new OS to get tight and back to basics with performance as the focus. All th candy and I cloud is great for my main use laptop and iDevises, but are "disabled" as much as they can be on my production system.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Apple does not currently sell a single computer that would officially support 3rd party SSDs. Why do you find it surprising that there is no 3rd party Trim support?

The 2012 non-retina MBP is still sold and both the RAM and HD are user-serviceable.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA

Hmm...maybe it would be useful in the who knows how many cMBPs and white MacBooks that people still use? And apple does know that people replace their HDs and SSDs in older iMacs and Mac Minis.

Vanoord

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
In no particular order:

- get rid of Dashboard and introduce Widgets into Notification Centre

- make the Spotlight window moveable

- make the 'Show all in Finder' in the left hand column of Spotlight work with a single click

- stop hiding functions unless the Option key is presses

- allow me to control the icon size in all Finder windows with a single command: it's bonkers that each folder is set independently

- sync Notification Centre notifications: once I've seen 'em, I've seen 'em

- I'd agree with splitting up iTunes to separate out movies and podcasts

- in Safari, put back the warning before you try and close a window with multiple tabs open

- many, many things to rectify with the Photos app to make it usable as a means of organising images

- enable iCloud drive into iOS so it's possible to share files (PDFs particularly) with iOS devices via the OS X file system

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
- Group FaceTime ability (for iOS 9 too of course)
- Better way to make calls on the iPhone, something like a dialler would do. Also better connectivity with that.
- Somehow sync my iCloud notes(iPhone and Mac) with the notes I have on dashboard.
- Moveable Spotlight window.
- Make f.lux app native on a new "thing", maybe call it MyEyes haha
- Most important of all, a streaming service. Making the entire iTunes Music Category streamable with a monthly fee of 14,99$ or something would be so amazing.

geekmania

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
airdrop between iPhone and macbook

I hope 10.11 version can add airdrop file transfer function between iPhone and macbook:)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I hope 10.11 version can add airdrop file transfer function between iPhone and macbook:)

That's already a feature in Yosemite.

----------

- Better way to make calls on the iPhone, something like a dialler would do. Also better connectivity with that.

A dial pad would certainly be nice. Not necessarily to dial, but more so to interact with automated prompts. Also a widget for the notification center would be rather conveniently.

JayKyte

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
After a few months on Yosemite , I just moved back to Mavericks .....can we have 10.11 like this please , but remove the leather trim.....LOL

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Performance improvements. Yosemite feels really slow and heavy.

Windows 10 in a VM on Yosemite feels much faster than Yosemite. That's just sad.

funkyfresh69

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Bug fixes
Bug fixes
Bug fixes

Just fix whats broken , poorly coded, slow etc in Yosemite

Then fix the bugs you've then created in fixing the first ones.
Repeat
Repeat till is works.
Learn why it wasn't right first of all.
Digest that information

Then think about 10.11.

Honestly I would rather feature freeze what we have, make it stable even if that means waiting x years..

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Like a lot of people, I don't really care about features. Yosemite is great in terms of features and the design is honestly really nice (I have always been a fan of 'flat'). The big thing I want is AirDrop fixed. Between Macs it'll work great, but when I try to AirDrop to my iDevices its hit and miss. Sometimes it'll see them, but won't transfer anything. Of course, this could be iOS 8's fault (wouldn't doubt that, its a hot mess).

If I had to pick a feature I would like to see, it would be dark title bars across all stock apps in Dark Mode. I think that would look sweet. Right now it looks good, but a bit unfinished. Even the Finder icon has grown on me and think it should stay. Otherwise, better video acceleration would be nice. I think 10.11 will see some improvements speed wise but 10.12 will turbo charge it. For 10.12 they should strip out just about everything and recode it so there isn't as much overhead. It seems this really hasn't been done since 10.6 and all the releases over the years has created massive overhead.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand

Thunderbolt storage is officially supported and to the best of my knowledge, all Thunderbolt connected SSDs are 3rd party SSDs.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Add another for 3rd party TRIM support.

And yes, Apple does sell a few systems with standard HDD's. Namely, the current Mac Mini (2.5" HDD), the 21.5 and 27" iMacs (2.5" and 3.5" HDD) the new 5K iMac also uses a 3.5" HDD, and the 2012 13" MBP.

That is 5 computers Apple is still shipping with HDDs that can be replaced with an SSD.

Plus a LOT of others from years past. I have them in our 2007 iMac, 2008 MacBook, 2009 MacBook, 2009 MacBook Pro, 2010 MacBook Pro X2, 2012 Mac Mini, and many more at my office that I've done.

It's true many of the SSDs now will do garbage collection themselves, but some do not. Particularly the one in our 2007 iMac. It's an older OCZ model and it's dropped to around 80 MB/s from where it was at close to 250 MB/s. On Mavericks I had TRIM support and it was fine, not so with Yosemite. It's still fast, but not as fast.

And bug fixes. I went back to Mavericks on my Late 2013 rMBP because of all the bugs I had in Yosemite. Not waking from sleep, Aperture issues, WiFi issues (also in Mavericks however), UI lag, and more.

I was still using Snow Leopard on an Early '08 MacBook up until late last year, and I'm always amazed at how little, if ever, it would freeze or bug out. I had 3 months of uptime on it at one point. Zero issues. I'd like to get back to that.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Mail and Calendar

Please make Mail and Calendar more reliable with Exchange, like it used to be under ML and Mavericks.

Mail is still flaky, and sometimes doesn't get all messages. Usually a rebuild fixes it, but why should I have to that all the time? Calendar is worse. I send out meeting invites, and everyone accepts. Fine...then 30 minutes later it sends them again. ???? Then everyone has to accept again, or decline. Then they ask why I resent the invite. I didn't!!! :eek:

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Also with the latest "sketchy rumor" for a touch ID on Macs, Magic Mouse and the track pad, which could be put on macs if they do it the right way, but it's not a "must have" feature, at least for me.

They may not add the fingerprint sensor to Macs, but they could leverage the iPhone's fingerprint sensor for this functionality. Instead of typing a password, just get the iPhone out of your pocket and lay your finger on the home button. It would also serve as 2-factor authentication.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
They may not add the fingerprint sensor to Macs, but they could leverage the iPhone's fingerprint sensor for this functionality. Instead of typing a password, just get the iPhone out of your pocket and lay your finger on the home button. It would also serve as 2-factor authentication.

The problem there is that not every Mac owner has an iPhone.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Can do the same with AppleWatch. Once the Watch and Mac are authenticated with Touch ID on iPhone, you don't need to take it out anymore, just come close to your Mac to automatically unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.