Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm not understanding the problem with Time Machine. It makes you format the drive to copy FROM it? That doesn't seem right. Apple has a guide for transferring the backup to a different drive and it seems fairly straight forward. Maybe you should follow it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202380
Yes I know about the guide, it doesn't work: Time Machine protects the Time Machine volume in a weird way and it prevents you from doing normal things with it. Of course it can be solved with sudo terminal trickery but it's annoying.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I had many wishes. But probably my biggest wish and simplest was that stupid Safari would finally remember zoom per site. I mean every, but literally every browser has that option by default! I can't remember the last browser that didn't have this feature.

But of course, Apple loves tiny things, so lets just look at tiny txt and try to read it, or zoom like an idiot every time I visit a website.

Reactions: grahamperrin

frydaddy

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Get away from the IOS style Icons or at least have a choice.

Scrolling through pictures in a folder with Preview.

Get Rid of the RED Itunes Icon.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
It would be great if you could set a shortcut to clear all of your notifications. Currently I have to use a terminal application to click in specific spots on my screen...

Have a look at BetterTouchTool. What you desire is easily achievable and at the same time the app offers so much more. I couldn't imagine using my trackpad and keyboard without it.

Thanks! Looks really useful, but a simple keyboard shortcut assigned in System preferences would be a more elegant solution, methinks

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
With the new per-tab mute / sound source tracking feature in Safari, it's getting close to overtaking Chrome as my top choice browser. One more feature it needs first, are little ticker marks along the scroll bar, showing where results of Find are in the page.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
With the new per-tab mute / sound source tracking feature in Safari, it's getting close to overtaking Chrome as my top choice browser. One more feature it needs first, are little ticker marks along the scroll bar, showing where results of Find are in the page.

+1 for ticker marks along the scroll bar when searching keywords on the page. (I forgot that one)

Other Safari wishlist items:

* More Mouse/trackpad Gestures:
I would also really like Safari to have more mouse/trackpad gestures. I.e. For opening / closing tabs and refreshing webpages. I have been using Opera on my old machine and have got so use to the mouse gestures that I go to use them out of habit in Safari. This would be a priority on my wishlist.

* Mouse over Tab Previews:
It would also be quite nice (but not necessary) to have mouse over tab previews. Opera tab previews are great because they fill the centre of the screen when you mouse over.

* Delete some webdata (i.e. cookies only) from menubar:
Finally it would be nice to have the option to delete cookies or other web data from the menubar without deleting everything including history. In other words how it was prior to Yosemite.

Last edited:

r3volution11

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD
+1 for ticker marks along the scroll bar when searching keywords on the page. (I forgot that one)

Other Safari wishlist items:

* More Mouse/trackpad Gestures:
I would also really like Safari to have more mouse/trackpad gestures. I.e. For opening / closing tabs and refreshing webpages. I have been using Opera on my old machine and have got so use to the mouse gestures that I go to use them out of habit in Safari. This would be a priority on my wishlist.

* Mouse over Tab Previews:
It would also be quite nice (but not necessary) to have mouse over tab previews. Opera tab previews are great because they fill the centre of the screen when you mouse over.

* Delete some webdata (i.e. cookies only) from menubar:
Finally it would be nice to have the option to delete cookies or other web data from the menubar without deleting everything including history. In other words how it was prior to Yosemite.

1. There's plenty of apps to do just what you're asking for.

2. That sounds cool at first but can be increasingly annoying to some people. Which reminds me – I wish Apple would be more supportive of providing more options that can be enabled and disabled.

3. You can already do just that by either using the developer tools or going to the privacy settings menu and then clicking the Details button below Remove All Website Data.

A gentle reminder for a lot of suggestions I've previously read: Google is your friend.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
1. There's plenty of apps to do just what you're asking for.

2. That sounds cool at first but can be increasingly annoying to some people. Which reminds me – I wish Apple would be more supportive of providing more options that can be enabled and disabled.

3. You can already do just that by either using the developer tools or going to the privacy settings menu and then clicking the Details button below Remove All Website Data.

A gentle reminder for a lot of suggestions I've previously read: Google is your friend.

1. I am quite aware of there being apps for this... some quite good some useless. However having it inbuilt is far better. Mail now has gestures and I see no reason why Safari should not receive the same treatment. I would use Safari gestures far more than mail gestures. There is window snapping apps and now Apple has integrated a similar feature.

2. I don't see why it has to be annoying. I have never accidentally activated it. There is a time delay and it can be switched on or off in preferences. Again this is about giving users options.

3. I know it can be done in preferences and use this myself, but I'm talking about giving the average joe the options, rather than hiding them away for no reason. Again this is about giving users options, especially those who would not normally look 'under the hood' so to speak.

I am well aware of the alternatives. This isn't about searching the web to find alternatives - This is a wishlist thread and these are features that I wish were a part of Safari / OSX.

As you said... " I wish Apple would be more supportive of providing more options that can be enabled and disabled."

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… Its change not for the sake of change, but for the sake of progress

That argument has been made, never won, countless times.

… Apple loves tiny things, so lets just look at tiny txt and try to read it, or zoom like an idiot every time I visit a website.

Two screenshots of Apple sites: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21458816 – is the more recent design progressive? @luke lau if not 'progress' then what, do you think, inspired the less than ample contrast in the second shot?

Apple's statement: "Sorry, you cannot view this page" – I don't doubt that someone is sorry, but have the designers realised that their changes have produced an apology that lack legibility?

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
That argument has been made, never won, countless times.

Two screenshots of Apple sites: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21458816 – is the more recent design progressive? @luke lau if not 'progress' then what, do you think, inspired the less than ample contrast in the second shot?

Apple's statement: "Sorry, you cannot view this page" – I don't doubt that someone is sorry, but have the designers realised that their changes have produced an apology that lack legibility?

That page was perfectly legible to me. Enjoy your stale manky design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.