Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zach Nathan

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2015
Let's see... Same points may be a tall order, but it is a wishlist:

- Full OpenGL support all the way to 4.5
- Vulkan support
- Fix the bug/feature/whatever where you can't use "arrange" by in all directories
- Fix the Swedish translation so that you actually have two different terms for "arrange by" and "sort by" rather than being "ordna efter" "håll ordnat efter" (both of which can be translated to ether "arrange by" or "sort by")
- Get rid of the relic stemming from the Apple III known as HFS+. Don't care what you replace it with, be it EXT4, ZFS, BTRFS, or even ReiserFS. The only reason why OSX used HFS+ to begin with was compatibility with MacOS9 software, which was dumped years ago anyway
- Proper support for external GPU's in Thunderbolt boxes (now that it's 4 years down the line since the first thunderbolt equipped machines)

Due to being an eternal pessimist, I suspect we probably won't see more than one of the bigger items on my wishlist, if that. The main feature is probably going to be some improved security and encryption software along with one or two features barely anybody asked for. In my opinion these yearly updates are really beginning to wear thin as they're always incremental enhancements and minor features due to time restraints. I can only imagine where we would have gotten if the transition from MacOS9 to OSX had been done the same way.

Vulkan support would be nice...

Last edited:

Jaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I know a fair few people don't like notifications but I think it would be nice if Finder had a dynamic notification that detailed the progress of file transfers. I've always disliked how the current small window gets lost amongst your other windows.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I know a fair few people don't like notifications but I think it would be nice if Finder had a dynamic notification that detailed the progress of file transfers. I've always disliked how the current small window gets lost amongst your other windows.

I completely agree. Especially with finder being full screen and having tabs; there's no reason it can't have a file transfer manager like safari has for downloads. That way no matter what finder windows you're on you will see all your current transfers.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
If I do not see some monumental improvements, I plan to cut my losses and install Linux. I spend more time working around all the problems than getting any work done.

The only reason I bought this thing is because I thought I was buying something "a cut above". Remember the motto, "It just works"? Since when?

I have never used the iTunes app. I am afriad to plug my iPhone in. It will probably get screwed up.

Meanwhile my #^*& constantly downloads the same updates over and over and over. iMove (I never even use it), has updated eight times. Lots of other people are having this same problem.

CarlSGutekunst

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Northern California
2. More 3D in the UI. Yeah, I know Ivy loves flat, but I don't.
8. A larger Spotlight window, with a clear listing of where the files are located. The currently overlay on whatever random file you are looking at is just redicilously badly done.
9. Have Finder remember my window sizes between reboots (Really!).
10. More colors in Finder.
13. Stop making UI changes for the sake of changes. I loathe it.
14. Stability and speed. Snow Leopard the Sequel! Roawr!

Please! What the man said about UI changes, 3D, and color. And just make things easier to see, and easier to grab with the mouse.

I'm partially disabled. I can handle a keyboard and mouse, and am pretty good with a touchpad; but gesture controls? Using a smartphone? Forget it.

I'm not some militant ADA guy; I'm not going to make a bunch of demands and threaten lawsuits and whatnot if my needs are not catered to. But the fact is: I can and do use Snow Leopard, for many hours every day. I can and do use Linux Mint 17 and Windows 7, too, every day. I tried Lion, Mountain Lion, and Mavericks; and they are literally painful for me to use. Yosemite? Torture.

Just bring back the UI controls and the look-and-feel from Snow Leopard. They can be hidden under a control panel or even a CLI command. Just give me the ability to run a modern supported OS on the hardware I already have. The other OS's I use daily still have those vital controls that I need, even if they're optional. Let's have them back in OS X again.

(I've got a long list of other requests: Replace HFS+ would be nice. But none of that does me any good if I simply cannot use the computer.)

snifferdogx

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
If I do not see some monumental improvements, I plan to cut my losses and install Linux. I spend more time working around all the problems than getting any work done.

The only reason I bought this thing is because I thought I was buying something "a cut above". Remember the motto, "It just works"? Since when?

I have never used the iTunes app. I am afriad to plug my iPhone in. It will probably get screwed up.

Meanwhile my #^*& constantly downloads the same updates over and over and over. iMove (I never even use it), has updated eight times. Lots of other people are having this same problem.

Windows is starting to look not so bad. Especially when you consider that the Office package is much more complete for Windows.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

I really don't know why you haven't just formatted it already. I don't have the same level of patience you do, I simply won't work around things if it doesn't work like its supposed to it's gone.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
I really don't know why you haven't just formatted it already. I don't have the same level of patience you do, I simply won't work around things if it doesn't work like its supposed to it's gone.

True. If anything I have been overly patent. I have only tolerated it because my wife thinks it is "cool" and I wanted office, but do not want Windows. I cannot get office for Linux, and "Open office" needs a lot of work before it will be a viable alternative.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Not sure what has been asked for earlier but here's a few of my requests for the next OS:

• 10bit per channel (30bit RGB) output option for HDMI and DisplayPort on all capable GPUs

• OpenGL 4.5

• OpenCL 2.1

• Support for Thunderbolt Connected GPUs in the OS (so we don't need a hack)

• Reinstatement of multiple Nvidia GPU support (unlimited) - currently it seems Apple a have limited Nvidia cards to 2 since Mavericks... Da Vinci Resolve users the world over are furious as are many other mGPU users!

And please give Core Audio support for DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. Come on.. it's 2015 Apple. You don't have to decode it, just stream (bitstream) it. Would allow me to use the Mini as HTPC.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
True. If anything I have been overly patent. I have only tolerated it because my wife thinks it is "cool" and I wanted office, but do not want Windows. I cannot get office for Linux, and "Open office" needs a lot of work before it will be a viable alternative.
Kingsoft office..

I've always run office in wine but for the last few weeks I've been running kingsoft and its yet to screw up formatting or be incompatible with a document. I'll keep using it until it is then make the call. It's in the AUR or packaged as deb and rpm or you can download the tar ball

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Amen to that!

Jaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Texts (SMS) and iMessage sync over iCloud. The current situation is a mess.

That would be great. I never could get text forwarding to work and Pushbullet is just a mess for forwarding notifications.

DiscoMcDisco

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
London
If it returns some performance back to my Min-2011 mac mini I'll be a happy man. (This might be the time I install fresh and migrate stuff to new HDD)..

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
What I'd like to see is:
* Customisable themes
* Siri
* More security (such as LittleSnitch built in)
* Xcode with an old interface (such as Lion and Mountain Lion had)
* New UI (Already mentioned on customisable themes) but it could be like you could choose whether you want a brand new theme (it'll be probably similar to 10.10, but it'd be nice if you could choose Leopard, Mavericks theme, etc…)
* That all the Macs that can run OS X Yosemite could run the new OS. (I was very shocked and sad when I saw my old white MacBook doesn't run Mountain Lion), so right now I am using MacBook Pro mid 2010

* Battery calibration app built in
* A brand new web browser
* Similar app to iWeb and iDVD only improved
* Similar app to Front Row

As TheIguana said, I am also tired of Apple releasing new OS every year. It could be like we had with Tiger and Leopard and Snow Leopard.
It's one of the reasons why I am thinking of going back to Windows. I mean Lion is already unsupported. Imagine if Windows 7 was already unsupported.. They even support Vista.

Reactions: MARKBOARD

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
Nah, Windows had most of these features for awhile already. Nothing revolutionary.
Chrome had everything that new Safari has…

GHF

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
ibooks - sort out sync across all OS and IOS system especially PDF files
iMessage the ability to select all messages and delete all
Need to respect professional businesses and not just mass majority - Aperture no longer supported - Now moved on to other software - which also raises the question why should I stay with OS software ?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
  • More useful FREE widgets in Notification Center, I don't want to pay to get a damn calendar in there. Hell even widgets for Dashboard were all free, what's up with having to pay for them?
  • Finder window sizes, columns, views, icons, sorting, arranging ACTUALLY working, because currently, it does not work. Arrange by Date Added does nothing, Sort by and Arrange by do random things, Finder window sizes randomly change, icon spacing randomly changes, what the hell seriously
  • iTunes needs a serious looking at: what's up with the idiotic "My Music", "Playlists", "iTunes Store" things at the top, then a useless sidebar and then a bunch of other tiny icons at the top left that do similar things but differently? What are those?
  • WiFi syncing should actually work. Currently if I don't plug my iPhone into my computer, it gets synced once every two months if I'm lucky over WiFi. Also why do I have to wait 10 minutes for a backup, sync, "transferring purchases", all that crap, just to copy a single photo?
  • Spotlight need to get the hell back into the corner, I want to be able to read a number from a page and type it into Spotlight at the same time, to add up 10 numbers or whatever. Also it needs to get its act together when displaying currencies in the stupid scientific format. "1.000093E+07 Japanese Yen" does not mean anything to me.
  • TextEdit needs to stop displaying the Open File dialog box every damn time I launch it. I just want a new document to open. If I wanted to open a file I would have opened it from the Finder in the first place, where I can actually find it!
  • Notification Centre's Notifications view is just useless, full of things like "3204 Files Successfully Unzipped 234 Days Ago", I mean who the hell cares?
  • Time machine needs a way to migrate backups from one hard drive to another. Having to format the drive to be able to COPY FROM IT does not make any sense, Apple. Every time my backup drive runs out and buy a new one, I basically have to start from scratch and hope I won't need the old backup. Defeats the entire purpose of backing up doesn't it?
  • QuickTime still displays silly things like "h:01:03" for duration, this has been like this for the past 2 versions of OS X and no one notices. But who doesn't use VLC anyway...
  • Seriously, Siri would make so much sense on OS X... Why not?
  • Mail needs to start making the sound when I get a new message, not 10 minutes after I've read it, replied to it, and then think I got another message.
  • Also I hope this isn't going to be laggy as a slideshow until 10.11.3...

zOne31

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
Siri and the News app would be nice additions. Also, please change that new iTunes icon. It looks horrible

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
  • Time machine needs a way to migrate backups from one hard drive to another. Having to format the drive to be able to COPY FROM IT does not make any sense, Apple. Every time my backup drive runs out and buy a new one, I basically have to start from scratch and hope I won't need the old backup. Defeats the entire purpose of backing up doesn't it?
I'm not understanding the problem with Time Machine. It makes you format the drive to copy FROM it? That doesn't seem right. Apple has a guide for transferring the backup to a different drive and it seems fairly straight forward. Maybe you should follow it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202380

Tourgott

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Stuttgart
I would love to have the new iPad "picture in picture" mode integrated in Safari. It would be awesome to place a YT video on the screen while surfing. Why did they not integrate this?

Jaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
I would love to have the new iPad "picture in picture" mode integrated in Safari. It would be awesome to place a YT video on the screen while surfing. Why did they not integrate this?

This would be less of an issue of YouTube sill offered 'pop out'. Though these days there's a few alternatives for it. Such as mpv+youtube-dl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.