Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
Whilst such things change, I don't foresee any change to the ProductName in the near future.

Code:
sh-3.2$ sw_vers
ProductName:	Mac OS X
ProductVersion:	10.9.5
BuildVersion:	13F1077
sh-3.2$

I should not expect consistency in all areas. Mac OS X 10.8 was UNIX 03 certified after the product was known as OS X; subsequent certifications (for 10.9 and for 10.10) were/are for product names that excluded the word 'Mac'; and so on.

Having a trademark with "X" in it has always proven effective in Western markets. It is wise to stick with it.

RoleX
KleanX
X-Men

It makes things sound cool and new even if there is nothing really new about them.

The name "Mac" is short and much friendlier than "Macintosh". I see it staying. Somehow I doubt they could sell many "Granny Smith", "Fuji", or "Red delicious".

Last edited:

Macofbob

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2015
Rochester (Greece), NY
Photo

Fix the Photo App.
iPhoto was much more manageable, it was easier to edit.
The new Photo app is not as user friendly.
Also after editing all my photos (over 20k ) into "Events" they were put onto 1 folder under "Photo"; also photo adjustments were much more controlable in the "iPhoto" app.
Fix "Photo"

As well as the other "bugs" mentioned.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
- Put some life into iWorks. I LOVE iWorks but I still thank the heavens I kept '09 around. This universal binary iWorks is good - but still needs serious attention.
Universal Binary means it has both PPC and Intel code, to run on both kind of machines. The new iWorks is absolutely not an UB.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Extended executability

I wish for something like this:

XBinary: Extended Binary Format Support for Mac OS X

I wish for it, but I doubt that it'll happen.

(Now, instead of extended executability, we have updates to some software titles producing executables that will run on only one version of an Apple operating system. iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, OmniWeb, Pages, Xcode and so on.)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Not sure if it has been mentioned but fix iMovie. Tonight I tried to take a look at all my albums in Photos and most of them it thought had zero photos in them which is not correct. Bug fixes please.

Photos needs improvements as well in terms of ease of use and image manipulation tools (more please).

iCloud needs significant improvements to its functionality (see Dropbox features for what it needs) and Apple should be much more forthcoming about how it works in terms of maintaining both local and cloud storage presently whether you want that or not. I sent them feedback about this but they may feel users are too stupid to understand cloud features and all should be hidden from them. I even understand this to a point but when I visit the support site and cannot find the info either and must experiment to figure out what is going on I think that is a bit much.

Personally I find Yosemite's flat look to be ugly. I thought Mavericks looked nicer including the Dock. A Mac is capable of displaying an attractive UI. It is not an iPhone. I don't want mine to look like one. I am not very hopeful about this last one but I really wish they would put less emphasis on minimizing the appearance of the UI. I'm fine. I can get work done in a pleasing looking environment. I do better that way.

The Beatles disliked Abbey Road Studios to record in because the place was so sterile inside. Apparently they worked better with some visual distraction too.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I want compatibility for Aperture and iPhoto. Cannot be that a app sold just few month ago is not supported on the next revision that is released in the same year.

Actually that is my only wish and few bugs. Or better no bug.

RJCII

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015
Universal Binary means it has both PPC and Intel code, to run on both kind of machines. The new iWorks is absolutely not an UB.

Apologies, I worded that poorly, I intended it to describe how between iOS & OS X, the iWorks suite is more alike and compatible.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Non Password Options to Login

Not really a necessity, but it would be nice to have non password options to login to the mac. This would be especially useful for a quick return to the desktop after sleep / screen locked or quick change between users.

i.e. Fingerprint recognition, face/eye recognition, draw pattern with trackpad/mouse, or pick a point on an image.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Siri :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread, but I believe Siri may be a very likely candidate. Why you wonder? Well simply put, with Microsoft integrating Cortana in Windows 10, I don't think apple would want to be left behind. If we don't see Siri in OS X this year, then apple will be over a year behind Microsoft (speculating on a summer launch for Windows 10) with a personal assistant on desktop. Siri in its current form, doesn't make a whole sense on desktop, there are a lot of improvements needed, but I do expect something to be mentioned at WWDC in this area.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Not sure if this has been mentioned on this thread, but I believe Siri may be a very likely candidate. Why you wonder? Well simply put, with Microsoft integrating Cortana in Windows 10, I don't think apple would want to be left behind. If we don't see Siri in OS X this year, then apple will be over a year behind Microsoft (speculating on a summer launch for Windows 10) with a personal assistant on desktop. Siri in its current form, doesn't make a whole sense on desktop, there are a lot of improvements needed, but I do expect something to be mentioned at WWDC in this area.

Depending on how it's implemented, it would be very cool.

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
What I (as many others) truly wish is fast and bug-free OS X 10.11
I'm not sure if it's really possible at this point without rewriting the entire system code from ground up.

Apart from that, I wish they'll be snappy implementing Vulkan API properly and force gaming developers to do they ports with higher standards since right now most of games are way better optimized for Windows which is sad.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
- Improved folder icons
- Improved Photos app
- Improved iCloud Drive (ditch those 'app containers', for the love of God)
- New choice of system sounds
- Moveable Spotlight window

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I want compatibility for Aperture and iPhoto. Cannot be that a app sold just few month ago is not supported on the next revision that is released in the same year.

Actually that is my only wish and few bugs. Or better no bug.

Apple should have rename or re-brand it as "Aperture Cloud" instead of Photo. :apple:

----------

I am surprised nobody have mentioned about Power Nap. It has not beed fixed for years! It never worked for me and my 2012 rMBP! If they are not going to fix it they should ditch Power Nap and remove it from System Preferences completely! :apple:

twocircles

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Beyond OS X

Whether OS X is a popular brand name or not, I’ve got to believe that OS 11 or OS XI, or whatever it will be, is on the horizon. I agree that it will be a blow-your-socks-off different OS than today’s OS X, and until then there will be primarily incremental changes. I think this event is close enough that Apple is likely to wait until then to change their file system to one optimized for the new OS as I originally posted.

As hardware changes, new opportunities for software and OS present themselves. Already, it is almost incremental to conceive an OS based upon and optimized for Siri, vocal patterns, movement patterns and gestures. Typing is a fairly efficient method for entering data, and already iOS uses virtual on-screen keyboards. It is easy to imagine the next MacBook with a second screen instead of a keyboard, or a system that recognizes the movement patterns of your fingers. An expanded Apple watch interface opens possibilities. And, iOS and OS for Mac need to play nicer together. These interfaces open all sorts of software possibilities. Such hardware could only be a couple of years away, and it would take a new OS to take full advantage of such technology.

If I can conceive such things by thinking about them for five minutes, these have to be ideas conceived long ago by those who think about them all the time. So, while development of such things could take years, I am sure they were put into development years ago and could be, as I said, on the horizon.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Whether OS X is a popular brand name or not, I’ve got to believe that OS 11 or OS XI, or whatever it will be, is on the horizon. I agree that it will be a blow-your-socks-off different OS than today’s OS X, and until then there will be primarily incremental changes.

Don't forget that with some of Apple's greatest OS changes/introductions, the hardware has also followed suit. Changing the kernel would be enough to warrant a new brand (if only because of software compatibility), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a new form of input was also introduced. The question is, how else can we interact with the current GUI?

twocircles

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Interesting, but off-topic from both OS X 10.10 and OS X 10.11.

In the absence of a 'beyond' sub-forum, I usually discuss such things in the OS X area.

Sorry to veer off-topic, but my original response was expressing the opinion that we would be unlikely to see a new file system until we see a new OS.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Redefined UI, UI lag fixes, new file system, improved Finder, lighter Xcode, better energy management..

AND A LOT OF BUG FIXES !! :cool:

zxy

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
New Zealand
Fix the Photo App.
iPhoto was much more manageable, it was easier to edit.
The new Photo app is not as user friendly.
Also after editing all my photos (over 20k ) into "Events" they were put onto 1 folder under "Photo"; also photo adjustments were much more controlable in the "iPhoto" app.
Fix "Photo"

As well as the other "bugs" mentioned.

It's 'Photos' not 'Photo'. Also you events are now subfolders of the albums if that makes sense, you can still move them out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.