Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
mishendr,

if your startup disk isn't ML Setup (System Preferences -> Startup) :
- Boot into your main system
- Set ML Setup as your startup disk (System Preferences -> Startup)

if your startup disk is ML Setup :
- Shutdown your Mac
- Boot and hold the keys "3" and "2" at startup

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Others Machines

Who have a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, or an other mac incompatible with Mountain Lion with Core 2 Duo processor ?

I need testers who can test the patch ! :)

Last edited:

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
mishendr,

if your startup disk isn't ML Setup (System Preferences -> Startup) :
- Boot into your main system
- Set ML Setup as your startup disk (System Preferences -> Startup)

if your startup disk is ML Setup :
- Shutdown your Mac
- Boot and hold the keys "3" and "2" at startup

:( no joy... Any other ideas..? Still the spinning wheel...

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
I follow my guide to create the ML Setup.

It booted for me !

I haven't any more idea. Try to recreate the disk... :(

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Are the steps 10Bis and 10Bis2 absolutely necessary? I don't see them in the pictures? Or are they optional?

I'm now rebuilding another USB stick....

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Yes ! They remove security in startup. You don't need to do these steps after installing, just /Hack.command

I will remove this steps for the next version of the Hack !

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
if you want to patch a MacBook 3,1 :
You should see you haven't QE/CI activated, It's normal.
To activate it :
- Download this file.
- Place it on ML disk (with System, Users... folders).
- You need to be booted on ML system.
- Launch Install Drivers.command
- When you see "Done ! You can....", reboot on ML, you should have QE/CI activated !

ShiryuX

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Luxembourg
Hey MLforAll,

I just recreated the disk twice following the exact same steps. I create the disk each time with my MacBook Pro (figured it's the same thing). Both times I'm stuck at Waiting for DSMOS...

Do you have any idea on how I could fix this? I'm using the exact same iMac as you are (late 2006 model). Basically I'm at a loss just like mishendr...

Thanks man for any input! :cool:

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
This solution must work !

I don't use USB stick ! I use had drive partition like in pics.
I had this problem with USB who was solved by using steps 11 for me....

But with an hard drive part ion, I didn't have any problems !

Try using an hard drive partition for the installer. It's the same steps !

user3000

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
I thank you for your guide!
It works perfectly on my Late 2006 iMac with GMA 950!
Much better than Lion, if this is intentional, that Lion has jerky animations...:rolleyes:

Greetings from Austria!

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Waiting for DSMOS

This issue is solved and the guide is updated !

Solution : Create an HDD Partition installation.

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
It works!!!!

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Mountain Lion 10.8 fully working on my Macbook 3,1 with X3100!!!!!

NO ISSUES!! It sleeps perfectly!! All the bells and whistles!!

MLforALL FOR KING!! You're the best!!!

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Who have a Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, or an other mac incompatible with Mountain Lion with Core 2 Duo processor ?

I need testers who can test the patch ! :)

I have a Mac mini 2,1 (the one you are speaking of). But I need more RAM before I can test out this hack unfortunately. Once I get some I'd be more than willing to try this out for you and use it. Merci beaucoup! Je prend un classe de français. :)

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
If you have an other mac with X3100 graphics and 2 GB of RAM, you can try the Hack ML v2 posted at the first post's top.
This new version includes the GMA X3100 native support for ML :cool:

deesto

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
I'd like to try this, but I can't get past step #1: buy ML. When I try to buy it from the App Store on my macbook2,1 / 10.6.8, I get "not compatible" pop-up message, and there's no option to buy and download it anyway. How do you get past this, without another, more modern Apple computer?

ShiryuX

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Luxembourg
Hey, just wanted to drop a message that doing it on the HDD itself works indeed. 10.8.2 is running on my iMac 2006 as well!

Thanks man! Great find and props!

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
deesto,
You can get it via torrent.
There is no link because it's not very legal.

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Hmm, do any of you encounter networking problems? I can't connect anymore to my Synology NAS over LAN or WiFi. Over WiFi I can't see the NAS at all, via LAN it won't connect from the Finder. Via Safari I have to use the IP i.s.o. the DNS name (diskstation.local:5000). Very weird. Anyone?

Via 10.7.5 no problems...

y.very

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks man!
One question for you. Will Time Machine work with this ?

Once again thank you so much !

mishendr

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
networking problems

Although I am very happy that ML is running on my Macbook3,1 with full graphics, I am experiencing severe networking problems.

Ethernet and WiFi are working, but neither will let me connect to my NAS (Synology DS410). This was no problem on 10.7.x It could very well be a Mountain Lion problem, but for now I have to go back to 10.7.... :(

I tried re-installing ML, before and after X3100 drivers, before and after 10.8.2 update, still the same.

I cannot connect to my NAS. In Finder, if I select "connect as..", it immediately prompts an error. There is no way I can select a different user for my NAS.

Very weird, and very annoying. This way I cannot access my files, pictures, music, downloads, movies and TimeMachine. So non-workable...

Damned, MLforALL did such a great job of getting ML to run on older MacBooks with full graphics support. And now this...

Anyone else these problems?

I'm thinking 0f getting the old 10.7 ethernet kext and install them in 10.8. Only, which ones should I get?

Edit 10:25
I've tried the 10.7 IONetworkingFamily kext (version 2.1) in ML (which has 3.0), but no change. I see a lot of people have problems with AFP and network shares/NAS, so it seems related to Mountain Lion, not the way ML is installed on my Macbook. I think I'll have to wait for 10.8.3 and see if that changes anything. Major Bummer!! But glad I tested this way before I bought a new Mac..!

Last edited:

bosscharles

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Ml4all

Can i rename the boot drive from ML to anything I want after the install of ML is complete? or does it always have to be named ML for this to work.

Thanks.

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
bosscharles,
The name is required only for the patch's applying. You can rename your drive after completing all of the guide's steps.

mishendr,
I have encountered the same problem than you with my hack. I can't connect to my Apple TV nor via iTunes nor via AirParrot. I work on it ! I want using AirParrot with my Mountain Lion !

repa4ok

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
yeap, guys, there is a trouble with some kexts :(

exFAT mounting is not woking - solutions is to replace exfat.kext from 10.7.5;

one more isue with mouting afp - it doesn't work :( at all. i've tryed all the kexts/binaries i've found (located /System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/), but still no success :(

i've even rebuild a kernel (12.2.0 for i386), but no luck to boot it :(

returned back to 10.7.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.