Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ive tweaked your kexts and deleted many of the unwanted kexts.
(Kexts like IntelHD aren't needed and shouldn't be loaded)

Im also including a different version of OpenGL and a modified version of your script. I can PM you those modified files if you need them. Cheers!

EDIT: Just discovered everything is from DP1. Not just kernel and graphics as i initially expected. Not a good idea bro.

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I'd like to try this, but I can't get past step #1: buy ML. When I try to buy it from the App Store on my macbook2,1 / 10.6.8, I get "not compatible" pop-up message, and there's no option to buy and download it anyway. How do you get past this, without another, more modern Apple computer?

Install Parallel Desktop, download Lion from there and install, once done, open App Store inside Parallel and download/buy Mountain Lion.

----------

@MLforAll thank you for the awesome job!

I had different issues on my Macbook 4,1 with X3100. I can say that I could install ML without problems and without sleeping/brightness/video playback issues. These are my questions and bug reports:

1. I can't mount external drives (exfat usb drives especially) (acknowledged few post above but I want to report them too)

2. I can't find the shared folders in my home lan, my other mac in the house has some shared folder and I can't even see the mac on the finder sidebar (acknowledged few post above but I want to report them too)

3. after installing ML I deleted the ML Setup partition, and thinking that the usb problem could be given by permissions I tried to repair them using the "disk utility" and I got an error similar to "error, resource not available" that I thought was connected to the cancellation of the ML Setup partition

4. after installing ML all the hidden folders like var, tmp, bin etc in my root were visible, what to do?

5. can't autorun totalfinder, the finder plugin, even if you reinstall it

6. how the Hack ML v3 is going to implement 64bit graphics? can you explain how is going to be? because there is not x3100 64bit version for ML... :(

7. hackerwayne here says the DP1 extension might brick the system in the future: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16942597/ you should really collaborate together because both of you made very cool stuff!

Merci beaucoup, tu es magnifique!

Ill answer that for you.
1. Thats the result of using 100% 32 bit DP1 kexts. Ill attempt to fix them
2. Same as #1
3. Boot in Single User Mode and repair permission(s)
4. type this in terminal
Code:
$defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
$Killall Finder
5. Again.. The result of using DP1 filesystem
6. No way thats gonna be done. 64 bit X3100 is crippled plus, hes using 100% 32 bit kernels and kexts from DP1.
7. Its gonna brick the system and you need to run the patch every time you update.

#1, 2 and 5 can be solved. Simply don't use the DP1 kexts will solve it. Should have replaced JUST the graphics, sound kexts and kernel. Not everything (The whole Extensions Folder) from DP1. Lol.

----------

Hey MLforAll!

I'm patiently waiting for v3 of the hack, I suppose I just have to update the ML Setup partition with it and run the Hack.command to update my current v2? :)

I also wanted to ask for a friend who has 10.7 on his iMac 24" white: will this hack work on these as well? (Unsure if he has a 7300GT or 7600GT graphic card in it)

Thanks a lot! :D

Pretty sure it will, cuz this is using all kexts and kernel from DP1.
After digging into the patches created by MLForAll. Here are the details.

The good thing about it?
Graphics and power management problem will be solved.

The bad thing about it?
Pretty much messed up the rest :(

Detail about why and how this guide works and its problems
1. MLForAll replaced the entire 10.8.X Extensions folder to 10.8 DP1. Which is not a good idea. Read below
2. Even thou DP1 has a 32 bit kernel, its still missing X3100, GMA 950, and X1600 drivers.
3. He get those kexts from Lion 10.7.5 and packed them in together.
4. The result of replacing the Extensions folder completely is some apps not working properly, like Disk Utility, its not designed to use DP1's kexts, so Finder, Disk Utility, any app that uses the file system either doesn't mount, crashes or doesn't install. Same goes to networking, those network and server kexts are not designed to work with the final version of ML.
5. MLForAll mentioned that in V3 64bit will be natively supported, but thats not gonna happen unless you know how to tweak 32bit GMA950 and X1600 kexts to work with a 64bit kernel. Else, this is a no go.

The solutions?
Don't use the whole Extension folder from DP1, instead, only copy the kernel and the graphics kexts. Im not sure what kind of effects will this have on other kexts since they aren't design to work with DP1's kernel either. Im in process of creating it.

EDIT: You can't buy ML directly from the unsupported Mac. It has to be copied from a supported Mac or download via Parallel Desktop.

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Thanks. Right: I was hoping for a "legal" way to do this.

Legal way is to download Parallel (trial), and install Lion from there. Once Lion is installed, open the Mac App Store inside Parallel and buy Mountain Lion from there, once done, you can find it in the Applications folder inside Parallel. Drag that out to desktop. Done.

rezzo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
Chile
Test for the Hack ML v3 were started :

It include :

- iSight fix
- Network problem fix
- 64 bits startup.
- 64 bits Graphics support for GMA 950 (with QE/CI), ATI Radeon X1600 (with QE/CI), GMA X3100 (with sleep).

Coming SOON !
Any news about this new version?

I am very satisfied with this guide, thanks for the work MLforAll.

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
1. Using a 32 bits kernel with 64 bits extension create a KP on startup !
2. For the v3, the GMA graphics not works actually because there isn't Lion 10.7.5 64 bits kexts.
3. The solution I found for GMA is decompile the binary, extract and patch the source code, patch it and recompile in 64 bits. But, I don't know C language.
Or create a 64 bits wrapper like "nspluginwrapper" who can load 32 bits kext.

You can actually download the Beta 1, I found one issue : DVD Player crashes, but the rest is solved !

I use it on my iMac X1600 !

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1. Using a 32 bits kernel with 64 bits extension create a KP on startup !
2. For the v3, the GMA graphics not works actually because there isn't Lion 10.7.5 64 bits kexts.
3. The solution I found for GMA is decompile the binary, extract and patch the source code, patch it and recompile in 64 bits. But, I don't know C language.
Or create a 64 bits wrapper like "nspluginwrapper" who can load 32 bits kext.

You can actually download the Beta 1, I found one issue : DVD Player crashes, but the rest is solved !

I use it on my iMac X1600 !

ML on older Mac is already booting 64bit kernel, and its attempting to find 64 bit extensions. Reason why X3100, GMA 950 and X1600 doesn't work is because 64 bit kexts for graphics are not included. There isnt a 64 bit version of the kext available except X3100. i don't see a reason why it doesn't load 32bit kexts.

2. theres no way to fix this.

3. Kexts are in UNIX, not C. I tried NSPluginWrapper, doesn't work. throw a dependencies not found error.
4. DVD not working i can fix that. Its OpenGL and/or OpenCL problem. Try applications like Steam and Adobe CS, if those apps doesn't work, its 100% OpenCL problem.

A quick question. Why does X1600 works? As far as i know, there isnt a 64bit X1600 driver anywhere.

Can you please post the error for DVD Player? I have a fix for that depending on the errors

Last edited:

MLforAll

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
The ATI Radeon X1600 works. Try my Hack v3 !

I see you have modified your guide, Are you find a fix for GMAs ?

NSPluginWrapper doesn't this job ! It's a 64 bits plugin for Linux Mozilla Firefox !

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The ATI Radeon X1600 works. Try my Hack v3 !

I see you have modified your guide, Are you find a fix for GMAs ?

NSPluginWrapper doesn't this job ! It's a 64 bits plugin for Linux Mozilla Firefox !

Btw.. found a better fix for X1600. Feel free to add it to your guide. Just remember to give credit ;D

1. Install ML as per my guide. Without any patch etc.
2. Boot up to desktop. NO GRAPHICS ACC WHATSOEVER!
3. Replace the kexts/bundles with these.
4. Replace OpenGL
5. Done! DVDPlayer works too!
Done

Last edited:

fabioroberto

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
Btw.. found a better fix for X1600. Feel free to add it to your guide. Just remember to give credit ;D

1. Install ML as per my guide. Without any patch etc.
2. Boot up to desktop. NO GRAPHICS ACC WHATSOEVER!
3. Replace the kexts/bundles with these.
4. Replace OpenGL
5. Done! DVDPlayer works too!
Done

I have macbook 4,1 and to fix problem with disk utility (repair permissions error) is just install the package 10.8.2 and hack again! fully work!

can I use the hack v3 iSight fix on hack v2?

thanks for help

bosscharles

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Seems to take forever to boot into 10.8.2 is this normal? Doesn't freeze but seems like it... Running v3 late 2006 imac

bosscharles

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Beta update for m4all. Not booting after 10.8.2 update.... It hangs at the apple logo. I did reapply the patch from terminal in ml installation... However after running hack. Command there is an error message which reads: rm: Volumes/ML/System/Library/CoreServices/Platform Support. plist: No such file or directory

Thanks

Edit: I have not changed the name of my ML partition.... It is called ML as per instructions... I have also repaired permissions of partition ML from my lion partition... Also I searched for Platform Support. Plist and it is not in the ML partiyion

Last edited:

bosscharles

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Reinstall 10.8 using 10.8.2, don't install 10.8 then update to 10.8.2. That normally causes problems.

Hackerwayne, How do I reinstall 10.8 using 10.8.2? Sorry not following you....Do I need to download 10.8.2 combo update and extract that somewhere on the 10.8 installer files? My Mountain Lion installer is 10.8. Do i have to download the 10.8.2 installer?

Thanks....

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hackerwayne, How do I reinstall 10.8 using 10.8.2? Sorry not following you....Do I need to download 10.8.2 combo update and extract that somewhere on the 10.8 installer files? My Mountain Lion installer is 10.8. Do i have to download the 10.8.2 installer?

Thanks....

download original ML from the Mac App Store, it should be free if you've bought it before.

----------

Beta update for m4all. Not booting after 10.8.2 update.... It hangs at the apple logo. I did reapply the patch from terminal in ml installation... However after running hack. Command there is an error message which reads: rm: Volumes/ML/System/Library/CoreServices/Platform Support. plist: No such file or directory

Thanks

Edit: I have not changed the name of my ML partition.... It is called ML as per instructions... I have also repaired permissions of partition ML from my lion partition... Also I searched for Platform Support. Plist and it is not in the ML partition

Thats because it was deleted when you first install 10.8. Doesn't explain why it doesn't boot. But anyway, try a fresh install and report back

bosscharles

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
download original ML from the Mac App Store, it should be free if you've bought it before.

----------

Thats because it was deleted when you first install 10.8. Doesn't explain why it doesn't boot. But anyway, try a fresh install and report back

Thanks, re downloading now....

bosscharles

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Hi hackerwayne... Used 10.8.2 installer and hack v3.... Same result, just hangs when trying to boot into ML partition.... 10.8.0 installer with hack v3 worked fine before.... Any ideas?

Edit: managed to Boot in safe mode... Repaired permissions....and just managed to login normally...behaving erratically... Slow webcam, mouse right, center, side etc clicks not responding.... Video looks fine.... I photo shows a question mark, did not install properly...

Last edited:

bosscharles

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Ok, managed to get it working now.... Decided to format ML partition and start again.. installed from 10.8.2 installer.... Applied v3 hack... Restarted.... . Then again hanging at the apple logo.... I then reset pram 3times and reset smc... And it is now working, booting into ML fine...

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Using a MacBook Pro 2,2 (X1600) I can't get past the "waiting for DSMOS..." Error, even after running the Terminal commands you provided.
The only way to install 10.8 on my machine is following the method provided by hackerwayne but this way I don't get a proper working iSight camera and I cannot enable iMessage/FaceTime (I read that it would/could work using your method.).
Hopefully I will end up with a fully working Mountain Lion system.
Thanks for your hard work on this anyway!

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Using a MacBook Pro 2,2 (X1600) I can't get past the "waiting for DSMOS..." Error, even after running the Terminal commands you provided.
The only way to install 10.8 on my machine is following the method provided by hackerwayne but this way I don't get a proper working iSight camera and I cannot enable iMessage/FaceTime (I read that it would/could work using your method.).
Hopefully I will end up with a fully working Mountain Lion system.
Thanks for your hard work on this anyway!

iSight works fine on my method. No FaceTime or iMessage on 10.8.2 on either method

Doritez

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2013
Followed every step without fail but after installation and doing the /Hack.command in terminal it says that "theres no such file directory" for all the files. After booting back into lion the ML partition is empty. meaning none of the files were copied to the ML partition during installation. any help please? i have 3 partition in all Lion ML and ML Setup idk what im doing wrong here :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.