Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Is my Mac telling me something here?

cabron.png
Probably ;)

Reactions: TimothyR734

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Is my Mac telling me something here?

cabron.png
That's obviously Photoshopped. According to the Gran Diccionario Oxford Español-Inglés Inglés Español (which is included in Yosemite), "cabrón" can mean several things, such as son of a b*tch, bastard, swine, cuckold, et cetera. I understand that it can also refer to a ram.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
I've tried to install the OS X 10.11 Developer Beta 1 on a MacBook Pro 2,2 (late 2006, ATI X1600, EFI32).

I could easily create the patched Installer with my Guide from Yosemite.

It booted with the Boot.efi by Pike and loads OSX 10.11, but then it gets stuck on the first Install screen where you normally have to click 'Continue'. The internal Keyboard/Trackpad or a external USB-KB/Mouse don't work. The same in safe-boot mode. In single-user mode it boots until to the point where normally the Shell prompt appears, but it it gets stuck shortly before. No luck so far with the DP1. :(

I will start to patch El Capitan right now on my iMac6,1 and will report back when I'm finished.
Having the same issue as atvusr, my iMac 6,1 with 7300gt and EFI32 gets stuck at the welcome screen. It somehow disabled my wired mouse temporarily during early boot stages.

OGNerd

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
This will get the current developer release installed, BUT -

"Apple engineers have confirmed that the nvram boot-args command option will not be in the shipping release of El Capitan, and may be removed from developer betas before the release."

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
The boot-args command will probably removed from the release version - but there's a new 'Security Configuration' in the Utilities menu of the Installer. The checkbox 'Enforce System Integrity Protection' can be switched on/off, but it doesn't work properly at the moment. I think it's too early yet and we have to see how the whole Security-thing turns out ....

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I've updated the OSX 10.11 DB1 to DB2 on a supported Mac via App-Store, changed both Boot.efi and tried to run this via USB-Thumdrive on a unsupported MBP2,2. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly. It boots, until two third of the progress bar, but then it stops with the 'No Entry' sign. While the transfer from a supported Mac to the MBP2,2 has always worked for OSX 10.10 Yosemite since the Public Beta, this method doesn't work at the moment neither for OSX 10.11 DB1 nor DB2.

Edit: It must have something to do with USB - if the transferred OSX 10.11 runs from a SSD, connected via eSATA (ExpressCard34) then it boots completely, but gets stuck on the Desktop, because the internal Keyboard/Trackpad or a external USB-KB/Mouse don't work. With a patched Installer it gets stuck on the OSX Welcome-screen ....

Last edited:

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
Warning: OS X 10.11 El Capitan is only available for Apple Developers. While we like you to try this, we do NOT encourage you to download the OS X Installer outside Apple's Developers Program.
Caution: As OS X 10.11 is merely a Developers Beta, please read the release notes before you try this. The same bugs that show up on supported Macs may also appear in unsupported Macs.

OS X El Capitan (10.11) on Unsupported Macs

OS X Extracter and MacPostFactor are apps that guide you through patching and installing OS X El Capitan (10.11), Yosemite (10.10), Mavericks(10.9), or Mountain Lion (10.8) on your older Mac. This thread focuses on OS X El Capitan.

MacPostFactor works for Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite (certain Models).
Please note that older GPU (GMA 950, X3100, X1600, X1300, X1900, 7300gt, etc.) Graphics Acceleration on Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan are not supported yet.
Installing on these models may cause them to have graphical issues as stated in these pages. Kexts are provided to help a little bit.
OS X Extractor is somewhat for more advanced users and should only be used as an alternative to MacPostFactor. This thread consists of members prominent in these patches that can help you solve your issues. Please do not hesitate to post if you have questions.

View attachment 560270

Apple History

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was the first OS X version with optional support for a 64-bit kernel, allowing booting either with a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel. However, Apple did not support booting the 64-bit kernel in Macs that shipped with EFI32 firmware, even if they had 64-bit processors capable of running the 64-bit kernel. When Apple dropped the 32-bit kernel entirely from OS X, starting with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, EFI32 Macs no longer had an Apple-supported mechanism to boot newer OS X versions.
OS X 10.11 El Capitan includes rootless security. It makes sure that System file permissions are automatically protected, and updated during Software Updates. The Repair Permissions function is no longer available and access to system files that we need to use in this guide may be locked.

Fortunately, we have found a work around for these version of OS X. Here we provide guides in Post 1 in support for Installing OS X El Capitan on your Unsupported Mac.

This first post is usually updated with recent summarized information, updates, and more solutions.
For those who have 2006/2007 Mac Pros, you may be best suited to using
Mr. Zarniwoop's Guide here.

Prerequisites:
Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:
- Running 10.7 Lion
- At least 2GB of RAM.
- A copy of Yosemite in Applications Folder (.app file preferred)
- 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
-MacBook3,x
-MacBook4,x
-MacBookPro2,x
-MacBookAir1,1
-MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
-MacMini2,x
-iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
-iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

Guide to Installing OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs

ANY HARM OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY THIS GUIDE HAPPENED UNDER YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY!

Be sure to have root privileges (administrator password) as OS X will prompt you for this on some stage.

A: Preparing The Installation Drive

1. Make a BACKUP of your system if you can.
  2. I have some attachments below to help shave off a couple of hours.
  3. Get an OS X El Capitan Developers Beta 1 Installer app (Recommended from the Mac App Store Promo Code provided from the Apple Developer Program)
  4. Make sure you have an Intel-Based Mac that supported OS X 10.7 Lion

B: Start Patching
  1. Install OS X Extractor
  2. show hidden files in Finder (use included DisAppear.app) or terminal command:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder
    You will need to work with some hidden files.
  3. Right click on the OS X El Capitan Installer app and click show package contents.
  4. Browse to the folder /Contents/SharedSupport
  5. Double-click to mount "InstallESD.dmg"
  6. Open up Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities and drag BaseSystem.dmg to the lower Disk Utility side pane.
  7. Click on BaseSystem.dmg in Disk Utility and select the Restore tab
  8. Set the BaseSystem.dmg as the source and choose the installation drive (formatted as HFS+ and GUID) as the destination.
  9. Use Finder to browse the newly restored installation drive installer.
  10. Go to the folder /System/Installation on the installation drive and delete the "Packages" alias file. It will be replaced with the actual folder.
  11. Go back to the mounted InstallESD.dmg and drag the "Packages" folder to the thumb drive into the /System/Installation folder where the alias file used to be.
  12. Copy the files, ”BaseSystem.dmg" and “BaseSystem.chunklist," to the root of the thumb drive.
  13. (for non 64 bit Macs) Unlock and Replace the boot.efi files located in /System/Library/CoreServices and /usr/standalone/i386 with the copy provided in /Applications/OS X Hackers Patch Files/Boot EFI/ or from here. To Unlock it, use the Terminal app in Applications/Utilities/ and enter the command:

Code:
    Code:
    sudo chflags nouchg /Volumes/[Installation Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

14. Now lock the new boot.efi file
  15. (for non 64 bit Macs) lock the new boot.efi with this command:

Code:
    Code:
    sudo chflags uchg /Volumes/[Installation Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

16. Copy the folder named "Kernels" from ‘/Applications/OS X Hackers Patch Files/‘ to the ‘/System/Library/Kernels/‘ folder on the installer thumb drive.
  17. replace the original OSInstall.mpkg in the Installation drive (/System/Installation/Packages/) with the modified one from /Applications/OS X Hackers Patch Files/
  18. Next you will have to add your Mac Model to the installer. You will have to replace the files without corrupting them. Some of the files are signed so be careful not to change anything else. Make sure your changes mimics the same syntax as other entries. You may have to copy and paste the quote marks from an existing entry. If your closing quote after the boardID looks italic, you're WRONG!
  19. run the IORegistryExplorer.app from the OS X Hackers Patch Files/Helper Applications folder make sure in the top left corner IOServices is selected
  20. under root select your Mac(model) -> on the right at the top copy the board-id value.
  21. open in your Installation Drive, /System/Installation/Packages/InstallableMachines.plist with TextEdit and search for the last entry and replace it with your board-id value
  22. open /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist and do the same.
  23. Great! The hard part is over. Now it's time for installation. Re-hide the hidden files with the DisAppear.app, Close the Terminal, and Close all other Applications. Take a breather and move on to the next part of the guide. Are you excited? I am!

C: Installation
  1. reboot your Mac holding option (cmd) key
  2. select the Installation drive (BaseSystem) and press enter
  3. when booted click install/continue until you reach the disk selection menu, select you main drive (probably Macintosh HD) if you are sure about it, else select another empty drive (at least 15GB for testing/bigger if it should be a secondary system)

D: If Reboot Fails

(If the Mac does not reboot to the El Capitan desktop, boot to the install-drive again and perform the following.
Boot back into the El Capitan Install Partition
open the terminal at the top menu bar or boot into single user mode (Hold Command -S immediately afterturning on)
enter:
Code:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"
sudo rm /Volumes/[Main Drive Name]/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist

E: Install these 64 bit Kexts from the Kexts folder from OS X Extractor
(These will better the graphics by a little but you will not have Graphics Acceleration. Still in beta so they may not work well)
  1. enter in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0"

2. open the KextUtility.app by dropping all of the files inside this attachment zip folder named “kexts[yourgraphicsmodel…]“ to it. Don't forget to drop in the AppleHDA.kext
  3. reboot
  4. reboot normally

IF your Macbook can't wake up from sleep:

Because of lack of working Graphics Acceleration. Your Macbook may not be able to wake from a display sleep

Install the NoSleep Extension
Set the Preferences to Never Sleep on AC Adapter and Battery
Check the 'Start NoSleep Utility on system startup' setting
Your Macbook screen will never turn off unless your actually shut down your Macbook.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Animation Disabler

You don't have Graphics Acceleration, right? Then you don't need excess Animation slowing down your system.
  • Go to Applications/OS X Hackers Patch Files/Animation Disabler/
  • Open the 'Disable Graphical Animations' shell script in the Terminal

Airdrop
  • Go to Applications/OS X Hackers Patch Files/AirDrop Enabler/
  • Open the 'Enable Airdrop' shell script in the Terminal
  • Restart

You can send file with AirDrop to other Macs only. Sometimes newer Macs can't find your model.

Support

Feel free to post your questions, concerns, or success stories in this thread.

Downloads/Files for Patching

The OS X Extractor v1.3 Beta 1 with all Patch files for Mavericks, Yosemite, and El Capitan [June 10, 2015]:
Download Link (MediaFire)
External Link (Mega)

OS X Hackers are is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac OS Ten (X), Mac, iOS, iPhone, iPad, and all other Apple product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Inc. All other company and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.
MacPostFactor was made by Wayne Wong (@Wayne_819) and Kelian Dumarais (@MLforAll)

Guide and OSXH site/app designed by Isiah Johnson (@TMRJIJ) and Robby Sharpero and is provided by Johnson Network.

Developers:

Liem Mai, Birtha Åbel, Wayne Wong, Kelian Dumarais, Nolen Johnson, Mr. Zarniwoop, Tiamo, Pike R. Alpha, oem, atvusr, Jesse Samluk, Mike Hennessie

Terms and Conditions
OS X Hackers Site
Facebook Page
Donate

Successful?

Support us by sharing our guide to others. Let everyone know that their older Macs are not obsolete yet. Thank the developers who helped make this possible. Some Developers also appreciate donations to help make this site/app better.

Other Threads:

OS X El Capitan (10.11):
OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs - TMRJIJ
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and El Capitan - Mr, Zarniwoop

OS X Yosemite (10.10):
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite - Mr. Zarniwoop

OS X Mavericks (10.9):
[Guide] Installing 10.9 Mavericks on older Macs. - HackerWayne
Mac Pro 2,1 and OS X Mavericks -5050

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8):
Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac - HackerWayne

Hy, friend, i now this can be a dummy question,,but,, to be able to get El Capitan Beta we must subscribe to mac developers? they ask lots of questions, i would love to trie El Capitan Beta on my other Mac,,old but better one, better CPU ( Duo 2 Core 2,93GHz ) and better Graphics ( Nvidia GT 1Gb),, can you tell me if as a singular person i can subscribe as un developer? thanks in advance.

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
can you tell me if as a singular person i can subscribe as un developer? thanks in advance.
Of course, but you need to answer the most difficult question. Will you be willing to part $99 (or eqv) for this pleasure?
I would wait until the public beta in this case.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Hy, friend, i now this can be a dummy question,,but,, to be able to get El Capitan Beta we must subscribe to mac developers? they ask lots of questions, i would love to trie El Capitan Beta on my other Mac,,old but better one, better CPU ( Duo 2 Core 2,93GHz ) and better Graphics ( Nvidia GT 1Gb),, can you tell me if as a singular person i can subscribe as un developer? thanks in advance.
It is best to wait until the Public Beta in July. We should have a working version of OSXE and guide by then.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
OS X Extractor 1.3 Beta 2 and MacPostFactor 1.0 (not 0.3 nor 0.2b2 as suggested by a tester) will be released later today. OSXE 1.3b2 will address the boot.efi issue. MPF may not support OS X El Capitan yet.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Here is OS X Extractor v1.3 Beta 2​

Here is OS X Extractor v1.3 Beta 2. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

A OSXE update is recommended to assist you in installing OS X El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks on your old Mac. Also, by updating the system software of your server, you can enjoy various additional features and enhanced security. Always use to the latest version.
Never download this from any other provider. All links must be from these forums or directly from our server. This is to ensure that nothing was tampered with and that you have the most reliable and tested stuff.

This Update Includes:
  • Boot.efi fixed
  • Addresses issue where some Macs are not able to complete installation (View Guide for more info)
  • Bug Fixes

Other features added in Beta 1:
  • Support for OS X 10.11 El Capitan
  • New Structure with Installer
  • Smarter Requirements Checker that can detect the OS X Installer App
  • More Comprehensive Installation Type
  • Smaller Installer Size (up to 20% lighter)
  • Bug Fixes
Developer Focus Area:
  • Installing OS X El Capitan
  • Kexts
  • General Reliability
  • Rootless Disabling
  • Compatibility with Pacifist app
  • EFI32 Based Macs

Download Size: 184 MB

Prerequisites
Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:
- Running 10.7 Lion
- At least 2GB of RAM.
- A copy of Yosemite or Mavericks in Applications Folder (.app file preferred)
- 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
-MacBook3,x
-MacBook4,x
-MacBookPro2,x
-MacBookAir1,1
-MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
-MacMini2,x
-iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
-iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

How to Use It:
1. Download OS X Extractor
2. Install it. Choose a version of OS X to get the correct patches.
3. Open OS X Hackers in your Applications and view to corresponding guide the OS you choose.

Wolwerine

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
France
Of course, but you need to answer the most difficult question. Will you be willing to part $99 (or eqv) for this pleasure?
I would wait until the public beta in this case.
you right, i didn't now that we had to pay 99 $ for that,,,think is not correct at least for the Mac users, knowing that developers have boost a lot the evolution of systems everywhere in the world,,sad,,but i'll wait for the Beta public,,i can wait a little bit longer,, ;) ;) ;)

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
[QUOTE = "TMRJIJ, poste: 21510911, membre: 878094"]. Non, qui est un bug [/ QUOTE]

hello
I come to you for help, I made an installer on a USB key el capitan but when I test the instaler on the mac it tells me that the system is already instaler on this computer. If you can tell me how to install it squeezed well. I thank you in advance, best regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.