Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
No one reads the release notes. When they "downloaded" the OS, it didn't have the release notes. ;)

Although to be fair, it only mentions disk image conversion and RAID. Doesn't say anything about partitions. They will likely add in more features since you can still use many of the features with the `diskutil` command.

Yeah, so many people running alpha/beta developer software without even bothering to read the notes.

Sure, most of the time you'll be fine, but whining about things like this on software that is not intended to be fully functional, but intended for developers as an early sneak peak, to get familiar with the new programming APIs and test application compatibility is a bit off.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, so many people running alpha/beta developer software without even bothering to read the notes.

Sure, most of the time you'll be fine, but whining about things like this on software that is not intended to be fully functional, but intended for developers as an early sneak peak, to get familiar with the new programming APIs and test application compatibility is a bit off.

And that's my beef. The way people on here run software that they have no business running, then whining about it when things don't work, then when call them on it, say that this forum is to discuss issues. Well maybe, however Apple won't be fixing issues discussed in this forum by people who shouldn't be running the software. Worse still they run this as their primary OS. These are developer previews, intended for developers who agree to a non disclosure agreement. I also am worried because people get this software from dubious sources. One of these days someone is going to plant malware in the download, and because this is an OS, you're going to grant it admin rights to your computer... Not good.

If you want to run the Beta, fine, but be aware of what you're getting into and either

a) purchase a developer subscription, or

b) enrol for the PB and wait for it. July is next month, at worst you're looking at just over 30 days before you're running it.

That way, you're getting the software direct from Apple, and will have the tools to file bug reports, that will have detailed information about your hardware and what software was running at the time, so that Apple can actually fix it.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
And that's my beef. The way people on here run software that they have no business running, then whining about it when things don't work, then when call them on it, say that this forum is to discuss issues. Well maybe, however Apple won't be fixing issues discussed in this forum by people who shouldn't be running the software. Worse still they run this as their primary OS. These are developer previews, intended for developers who agree to a non disclosure agreement. I also am worried because people get this software from dubious sources. One of these days someone is going to plant malware in the download, and because this is an OS, you're going to grant it admin rights to your computer... Not good.

If you want to run the Beta, fine, but be aware of what you're getting into and either

b) enrol for the PB and wait for it. July is next month, at worst you're looking at just over 30 days before you're running it.

That way, you're getting the software direct from Apple, and will have the tools to file bug reports, that will have detailed information about your hardware and what software was running at the time, so that Apple can actually fix it.

Really man, it's getting hard to stomach your posts. Yes, some people complain irrationally... but some people are just posting their experiences. It isn't for you to decide if they have no business running beta software or not. If they've signed up for the developer program just to run it, then so be it. It isn't really the intent, but they've paid the price for admission.

If they jack things up and then cry about it, maybe offer some assistance instead of ridiculing them and telling them what they should or shouldn't be doing.

If you're referencing me yet again, you're sorely mistaken. I'm a developer, and have been beta testing software for many many years. Me posting that something isn't working, isn't complaining. It's discussing. To then say that you've called me on it and I'm saying its for discussing issues? Yeah, good calling me on it then. I'm here to discuss issues with the beta with my fellow beta users. I file bug reports when I find bugs. That doesn't preclude me from discussing said issues here. If you decide that a discussion is someone complaining, you may need to re-check the definition of what a complaint is.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
This is a developer preview and if you're an authorised developer then you would know that there is the appropriate channel to submit the feedback through. Apple does not going trawling through the posts on Macrumors to find diamonds in the rough, they use the feedback they're given through the developer forum, bug submissions and so forth. If you want to be useful to Apple then use those channels to provide feedback or otherwise posting on here is the equivalent of yelling into the breeze.

For what reason does this 10.11 subform exist then?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
then when call them on it, say that this forum is to discuss issues.

If not to discuss issues, what is this subform for?

I also am worried because people get this software from dubious sources. One of these days someone is going to plant malware in the download, and because this is an OS, you're going to grant it admin rights to your computer... Not good.

Why do you even care what someone else does?

Also, other than paying $99, i'm pretty curious as to what special qualifications you have which mean you should be beta testing this software and acting supremely holier-than-thou? So what is your technical background?

bobbytomorow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2007
Left Coast
This is a developer preview and if you're an authorised developer then you would know that there is the appropriate channel to submit the feedback through. Apple does not going trawling through the posts on Macrumors to find diamonds in the rough, they use the feedback they're given through the developer forum, bug submissions and so forth. If you want to be useful to Apple then use those channels to provide feedback or otherwise posting on here is the equivalent of yelling into the breeze.

I use said channel to provide feedback to Apple, why am I or anyone else not allowed (in your eyes) to discuss possible solutions and workarounds for bugs and other anomalies on a forum thats dedicated to 10.11 which is in a developers preview right now....what else shall we discuss, the weather and latest football news?

Reactions: laurihoefs

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
So um just shut up and not comment on the current state of the software, is that what you are saying? The whole point of a preview is to give feedback, so yeah get used to people criticizing when things aren't operating the way they should be.

ya when the release notes indicate it's missing features and isn't finished.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I use said channel to provide feedback to Apple, why am I or anyone else not allowed (in your eyes) to discuss possible solutions and workarounds for bugs and other anomalies on a forum thats dedicated to 10.11 which is in a developers preview right now....what else shall we discuss, the weather and latest football news?

Three words... NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

The other thing is that if anyone has even bothered to read their developer license agreement, is that the betas are generally/often under NDA.

i.e., not for public discussion.

Yes, there's always a heap of discussion about it, but there really probably shouldn't be.

But hey, getting the beta off some random torrent site, i'm guessing people aren't going to do that.

nesl247

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Florida
Reactions: throAU

LucasG

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Perhaps, but by the same token Apple does have a history of dumbing down and limiting options. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the finished version and we can no longer do what we want in the app like in prior versions.
In that case I really hope not, that would be really annoying!

Reactions: !!!

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
So he tells you exactly why there should be no discussion here and you wave it off as unimportant???

You do know what an NDA is right?

I wave it off as unimportant because he's trying to enforce something he has no business enforcing. Discussion of features already discussed isn't hurting anything. These forums are for discussing the beta, it's as simple as that. If you don't like that it exists, find another website where they don't discuss it.

Or petition Arn to take this forum down. I'm sure he'll listen to reason. ;)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You do know this is a 10.11 discussion forum you are in right?

So? El Capitan is covered by NDA is it not? No one should have this unless they are a developer in the program. Public beta not out until late July if then.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
It was in DP1 as well, I don't know what OP was smokin'

I did say it was pretty. But I'd argue function is more important than form when you're dealing with disks and data.

Also, this bug is still present on Developer Beta 2, and yes—I filed it in Bug Reporter.

————

Since people got so up in arms about this thread, yes, I know what a beta is and that things are bound to break. However, this thread was always intended to show my experience, what I had to do to fix the cluster&$@! it caused, and basically to serve as a warning that Disk Utility is broken, much like the "Working/Partially Working/Not Working apps" thread in the iOS forums for each beta.

Yes, it's a beta, but I'm not sure I can convince myself to believe that my warning was out of place. Disk Utility is a critical app not necessarily because it's something one needs to use daily, but rather because it's so important that it works when one does need to use it. If my warning keeps someone from using it and losing data, I'm satisfied and they likely will be, too.

Last edited:

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I did say it was pretty. But I'd argue function is more important than form when you're dealing with disks and data.

Also, this bug is still present on Developer Beta 2, and yes—I filed it in Bug Reporter.

Since people got so up in arms about this thread, yes, I know what a beta is and that things are bound to break. However, this thread was always intended to show my experience, what I had to do to fix the cluster&$@! it caused, and basically to serve as a warning that Disk Utility is broken, much like the "Working/Partially Working/Not Working apps" thread in the iOS forums for each beta.

Yes, it's a beta, but I'm not sure I can convince myself to believe that my warning was out of place. Disk Utility is a critical app not necessarily because it's something one needs to use daily, but rather because it's so important that it works when one does need to use it. If my warning keeps someone from using it and losing data, I'm satisfied and they likely will be, too.

I was not talking to or about you. I was referring to someone who said you could not resize partitions in Beta 1, which was not true, because I did it myself when I was on Beta 1.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I was not talking to or about you. I was referring to someone who said you could not resize partitions in Beta 1, which was not true, because I did it myself when I was on Beta 1.

I wasn't talking about you either. I was talking about people who were yelling into the breeze about this thread being "yelling into the breeze" because Apple will never see it.

That was never the purpose. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.