Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
I wasn't talking about you either. I was talking about people who were yelling into the breeze about this thread being "yelling into the breeze" because Apple will never see it.

That was never the purpose. :)

Well you quoted my post. That's what you do when you are replying directly to someone.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Well you quoted my post. That's what you do when you are replying directly to someone.

My apologies. If MR had a "horizontal line" feature for posts, it'd have gone right before the paragraph beginning with "Since." I've edited the post to make that more clear.

Also, I took "OP" to mean me, since I did start the thread.

Reactions: alvindarkness

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
Not liking the GUI atm, but I suppose I'll get used to it in time. Are repairing permissions no longer necessary, or just haven't added it yet?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Permissions are done automatically whenever you update. I believe it's part of the rootless thing.

And IIRC there was an article written a while ago that the 'permissions repair' results were mainly placebo[1] rather than actually fixing real problems people were facing - something that people did but never needed to be done in much the same way that many of the 'tweakers' and 'boosters' probably cause more problems than they solved.

[1] http://www.technightowl.com/2009/12/attention-mac-users-welcome-to-the-world-of-placebo-remedies/

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
And IIRC there was an article written a while ago that the 'permissions repair' results were mainly placebo[1] rather than actually fixing real problems people were facing - something that people did but never needed to be done in much the same way that many of the 'tweakers' and 'boosters' probably cause more problems than they solved.

[1] http://www.technightowl.com/2009/12/attention-mac-users-welcome-to-the-world-of-placebo-remedies/

Could very well be true. But I was answering why the option wasn't in the utility anymore :)

OS X handles it now (if necessary at all)

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Could very well be true. But I was answering why the option wasn't in the utility anymore :)

OS X handles it now (if necessary at all)

I already answered it by pointing out that it isn't necessary and anytime it was used and the user saw 'benefits' those benefits were primarily placebo hence I'm sure when Apple chose to re-write the Disk Utility front end, "should we expend resources re-implementing something that was rather pointless to begin with?". I for one am happy about our rootless future because it is one less avenue for problems to arise.

Reactions: leman

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I already answered it by pointing out that it isn't necessary and anytime it was used and the user saw 'benefits' those benefits were primarily placebo hence I'm sure when Apple chose to re-write the Disk Utility front end, "should we expend resources re-implementing something that was rather pointless to begin with?". I for one am happy about our rootless future because it is one less avenue for problems to arise.

But you "answered" it after the fact I did....

I wasn't disagreeing with you and regardless of it being necessary or not is 100% irrelevant now anyways. Because the fact is OS X does it on its own behind the scenes now. No more user option and the off chance permissions get out of whack OS X handles it. (Again the fact if it actually does anything or not doesn't matter at all, I was answering the question of "if they just didn't add it yet" to utility.)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I like how it looks actually. It needs a bit of tweaking still to get rid of the glitches, but I like the direction they are taking. Disk Utility was not a well designed app to begin with, it wasn't nearly as intuitive as it could have been.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I'm so hesitant to post anything here anymore because of it starting a war. Lighten up people, no one cares that you are the king of Mac gurus. :D
I like how you quoted me and then took it back. I can be that intimidating. :D

Reactions: leman

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Yes, it's beta, however...

and this is big deal.. they should have left the OLD version so we had full functionality. They should NOT have crippled us completely. Disk Utility is essential tool. In the current version, you cannot delete partitions.. umm.. wha?

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
What I'm really missing in Disk Utility's current version is the ability to burn bootable optical media. How does one burn i.e SSD Firmware Update ISOs with some FreeDOS or Linux on it, or older OS X Install DVD backups in future?

Still hope this feature will be back in the final release.

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
They probably haven't finished the GUI for all the features that are missing that should usually be there. You should never trust a beta to do critical stuff properly.

With Apple's history of dumbing down stuff (FCP X, AirPort Utility, iWork) I'm not hopeful. At all.

Reactions: colourfastt

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Command line? What is this? The 80s? You're joking right?

No, it's used by anyone who wants to be able to do 100% repeatable stuff via script, to thousands of machines, via remote, in minutes.

Look up the big new features in Windows 10 and I guarantee you that one of them is massively improved powershell support.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
No, its actually 2015. I am sorry to hear that you still haven't managed to master the most powerful tool on your computer :p

The UI is great for some things but using the command gives more options at times, even in 2015.

No, it's used by anyone who wants to be able to do 100% repeatable stuff via script, to thousands of machines, via remote, in minutes.

Look up the big new features in Windows 10 and I guarantee you that one of them is massively improved powershell support.

Obviously I understand that command prompts have their uses, often amongst pro users and tinkerers, that goes without saying. But to recommend an average user the command line over a GUI option is just plain dumb. Especially on an Apple products that are often cited as being the best choice for Joe Normal here on MacRumors.

You really think removing powerful features and making them command line only is a good idea? Seriously?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.